The Latest Crop of Winches - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 15th, 2009, 07:02 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The Latest Crop of Winches

I am hoping to have my 110 back together for the spring (well, late spring) and have started to look at winches again and notice that there have been a lot of new models released from just about everybody since I bought my XD9000 (which has rotted out and been rebuilt in <2yr due to environmental contamination).

The vehicle is being built mostly for expedition and I expect both front and rear winch to be mostly used for minor recovery as well as 3rd party vehicle recovery (I seem to use the one on my Disco more for pulling people who do not know how to drive in snow out of the ditch than self-recovery as it is).

Ideally I would go Hydraulic but at this point I am a bit overwhelmed just getting things together so I am looking at the newer electric options. The main criteria is being able to survive Canadian winter road conditions, salt, immersion in water, mud, etc, and be suited for running synthetic line (external brake), and come with solid-state components and a freespool that is not going to jam all the time.

Has anyone looked closely at all the new ones out there like the new X series Superwinch vs the Goldfish TDS etc and have a good idea of what the best options are these days?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

PTO driven is the best. I have been trying to get one for my truck for a year and get outbid on ebay.co.uk or chase down dead leads etc.
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Interesting idea but on a 110 there is no space for a rear PTO shaft, more a Series thing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Superwinch Husky 10 or 8... Worm drive is better than planetary gears, and they can run all day with out overheating.

Old December 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
Interesting idea but on a 110 there is no space for a rear PTO shaft, more a Series thing
You use the front winch 90% of the time. There is room for a front PTO winch and you can put a little electic one on the back.

Ron
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Or go hydraulic and use the hydraulics for both front and rear winch.
If you're traveling alone and use a non-electric, I'd also carry a come-a-long or Tifor in the event of a rollover. Personally, I'd just have a front and use a Tifor in the few instances where I had to go backwards and couldn't rig a reverse pull with my front winch.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

The Overland Journal did a winch comparison about 4 - 5 months back. You can reach them at 1-928-777-8567 for a copy of that issue.
BTW, this is an excellent magazine.
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist
Or go hydraulic and use the hydraulics for both front and rear winch.
If you're traveling alone and use a non-electric, I'd also carry a come-a-long or Tifor in the event of a rollover. Personally, I'd just have a front and use a Tifor in the few instances where I had to go backwards and couldn't rig a reverse pull with my front winch.
After needing to have the Disco pulled out by a winch-equipped 4wd tractor and a whole lot of other headaches because there was just no way to get enough backwards force, a rear or at least removable/relocatable winch just seems like a really good idea.... now.. why I was where I was is another story.

Old December 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm not sure that justifies a whole dedicated rear winch. How about some extra tree savers, snatch blocks, and line extensions? And as you say, you should never wheel alone.
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

It was not 'wheeling', it was cutting wood and the depth of the mud was a big surprise. The rear winch setup is already in place and in the grand scheme of things it will be better to have it than not if it comes to needing it and on expedition you don't always have the option of not being out alone.

Old December 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

So here is another question and the answer is probably "Looks" but I'll ask anyway since Google has not been very helpful, why would one choose a Bridge style winch over a Low-profile one and vice versa?

Old December 18th, 2009, 03:13 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Hi Andrew,

I'm Steve the local WARN guy here. The "I" series winches have integraded solenoids that make for a nicer look and easier installation. A few bolts and two battery connections. The NON-I winches with the remote mounted control pack are smaller overall and fit nicely in bull bars or where there is limited space, and the control pack can be mounted remotley if required.

There are some good deals on our M-8000 right now so take a look at this winch too. Maybe more money, but spare parts and service are available around the US.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch