The Impossible Import: 25+ RHD 110 w/300TDi - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: What are the odds of this being a success?
0% (I work for the EPA and will personally get on this) 7 70.00%
10% (I'm an RI who handled my own from cradle to grave) 0 0%
15% (I've heard too many horror stories and no successful ones, but see them in the US) 2 20.00%
>15% (Someone with enough determination will make it happen) 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 19th, 2013, 11:22 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
What's the VIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
What's the VIN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Jdc0430
Jonathan
85 Defender

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
The poll is stupid...
Then don't participate; no sense in maligning because it's easy.

------ Follow up post added August 20th, 2013 05:55 AM ------

Quote:
what's the vin?
xxxxxxxvxxxxxxxxx
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Jdc0430
Jonathan
85 Defender

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Talk to people that know and not just opine shit in a forum
...bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
If a person attempt to ship a 25 y/o truck next year (2014) with a 1990 200tdi engine, will they have a problem. Lets say that the truck had a 2.5td and in 1990 the company that owned the truck put in a 200tdi and changed it on the V5 many years ago, would there be a problem?

Of course. This scenario is no different that the original poster in this thread. Why do you guys refuse to comprehend. It doesn't matter who did an engine swap or when. If the VIN decodes to have a 200 tdi- then the truck can have one- that won't be until 2014 for a very few trucks but 2015 for most. In your case since it wasn't built with a 200tdi it can never come to the US with one.

Why don't you attempt to import a truck that is only 25% original since you keep posting in threads here that this is US Customs standard/litmus test and post here how that goes @ Newark.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Jdc0430
Jonathan
85 Defender

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreneuve View Post
you will have to have a canadian address and the ability to insure it in canada.
✓ & ✓

------ Follow up post added August 20th, 2013 06:13 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
|if| built with a 200tdi it can never come to the US
http://www.landroversuk.co.uk/export

I went to their office, talked with export manager, and he showed me 200TDis going out that day as well as Customs clearance stamped/certified imports. All their models are 200TDis from NAs. To them (and who they talk with at Customs):
Diesel VIN = any same# cylinder LR Diesel
Petrol VIN = any same# cylinder LR Petrol

He mentioned there were exporters willing to do a 300TDi, but not him as he has a 100% record he doesn't want to blemish
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Jdc0430
Jonathan
85 Defender

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you are primarily looking to get US market dollars for your UK Defender

I'm taking you up on the offer, I plan on keeping it; no resale for me.

Quote:
I would imagine old gas Rover V8's in the UK are like SBC motors here - easy to get.
Not in 110s to see working/tested--all out of LR and bare.

Quote:
Get it back to stock with an original motor (I'd even get rid of the Disco seats and the like) and then export it. Then sell the 300tdi.
Appreciate it; still working that option as well.

Quote:
Or trade your nice fixed up rig for an original ratty one and then export that.
I've been debating that for some time...

Quote:
There is a good amount posted on here - some right, some wrong and a lot I am not sure
...bump, bump, and ditto
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Jdc0430
Jonathan
85 Defender

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Your position wont be settled dockside. $$$$$
Didn't plan on it--I posted here looking for legal ways from those with similar experiences or first-hand knowledge.

Quote:
I was stressed the #$%^ out on my first import
Hear hear

Quote:
Unless you're just stupid rich and have money flowing out of your gold plated bidet
I'm trying to resell my silver one!

Quote:
I don't get your point. Are you planning on importing a bunch of Defenders?
No

Quote:
If you aren't and your are trying to fix something for "the community" I think those that are already importing trucks have it pretty well figured out.
Because they are looking for flips; anything with the kind of ridiculous markup equates to: bring an @$$load of 100% compliant ones, because the moment CPB finds 1 non-compliant one, you've negatively branded your business. My neighbor just sent his smooth roof 86 over and is happily enjoying it in DC.

The 25 year rule has been around for a long time.

Quote:
50%.
Thanks

Quote:
How much do you have wrapped up in your defender?
Un/Fortunately enough to forum the idea.
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:32 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdc0430 View Post

http://www.landroversuk.co.uk/export

I went to their office, talked with export manager, and he showed me 200TDis going out that day as well as Customs clearance stamped/certified imports. All their models are 200TDis from NAs. To them (and who they talk with at Customs):
Diesel VIN = any same# cylinder LR Diesel
Petrol VIN = any same# cylinder LR Petrol

He mentioned there were exporters willing to do a 300TDi, but not him as he has a 100% record he doesn't want to blemish
They and you are confusing what may have come into the US in the past, and what is actually legal to import. I know it's a crazy thought, but I'd probably listen to the people who have absolutely no interest in your money (us) who are trying to steer you in the right direction, instead of an overseas company you'll have basically zero financial recourse with when the $hit hits the fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4169513568.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	77979   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3377012094.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	77980  

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
They and you are confusing what may have come into the US in the past, and what is actually legal to import. I know it's a crazy thought, but I'd probably listen to the people who have absolutely no interest in your money (us) who are trying to steer you in the right direction, instead of an overseas company you'll have basically zero financial recourse with when the $hit hits the fan.
I have first hand knowledge of an 84 110 that the only difference was a 200tdi ( it came with a 2.5 NA ) ... it did not make it into the country and the paperwork was handled by someone very knowledgeable and experienced in these matters - The guy who bought it took a very expensive haircut and lost the truck. Are you prepared to take that risk based on a conversation with an exporter who is flouting the rules?

What does your exporter care? He basically throws it on a RORO and then the risk is yours! Importers are the people you need to talk to.

Like Josh says ... we are trying to help through a genuine objective of trying not to see someone screwed out of money and a truck ... be careful of all the Walter Mitty characters that tell you it's possible ... like Josh say's what WAS possible is different from what IS now possible.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

The poll is stupid...

Why are you wasting time trying to import it to the US if you can bring it into Canada?

If you found a company that's willing to export your 200tdi, then have them export your truck.

You keep hammering this thinking at some point there'll be a super secret, special way of making this a legal import posted up. The rules are pretty simple and have been explained by the guy who imports a shitload of truck into the US. The truck has been changed from it's original configuration when it left the factory, pretty simple...

And if you think only trucks being being "flipped" are being targeted, your wrong...
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:13 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdc0430 View Post
Then don't participate; no sense in maligning because it's easy.
Stop with the logical fallacies and listen for a minute, jackass.

Your poll is stupid because:

- It covers an issue that has been discussed to exhaustion in at least five hundred threads here and it's obvious that you've read very few of them.

- Voting in your poll requires one to make ridiculous assertions and justify your moronic beliefs, e.g. "I work for the EPA and will personally get on this", "Someone with enough determination will make it happen", etc.

- Your partitioning of the poll options is purposefully rigged to favor your misguided beliefs

- You have < 50 posts on this board. 9, to be exact

- You joined this month

I have what you want and will probably never get. I have a beautiful 110, one of the very cleanest examples of its type. I have a brand new 300 Tdi that came to me with zero miles on it. I have a brand new R380 rebuild. I have a brand new rebuild of the correctly suffixed LT230. I have stacks of minty XZLs with Bibendum waving his rubbery hand from the factory stickers still on them. I have stainless hinge bolts.

But how did I get all of these things on this truck? It's possible that any of these things would be enough to flag my truck at the port for crushing. How did I do it? Did I ship the truck to some obscure Mississippi River port and sneak it past some unwitting customs agent? Did I call Land Rover UK and get some silly documentation made up to "make it happen"? Did I start yet another import thread here, asking how it could be done?

No. The answer is "none of these things". I kept my mouth shut. I read every single import-related post on this board and kept meticulous notes. I did my own research. I read customs regulations. I spoke with the very customs agents who would be inspecting my truck. I bought my truck directly from the liquidator in the UK. I arranged the shipping myself. I found my own customs broker. They had never imported a Land Rover before but it didn't matter. I had done my homework and knew exactly how to make it happen. My truck arrived on a ship on Sunday and I drove it home on Tuesday. Not a single import problem. There was no magic or sleight of hand. I could bring this truck in again today in the most stringent of US ports and it would pass. It would pass inspection from Mr. Asshole 110 Crusher himself.

This will never happen for you. You won't listen. You won't read. You will probably never own the 110 that you so desire.

/
/
/
/
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Johnathan, I am still trying to figure your game out, You came on thie forum with the first sentance of your first post being "I've been selfish. I've been reading all these posts from different forums and offering nothing back to the community" which, I must say, comes off as a bit arrogant. Mainly due to the fact that there are by an large very knowledgable people on here when it comes to Land Rovers and Defenders in particular.

When I imported my 110 this spring I used Doug Crowther and I will tell you he is an absolute expert in this area as he does this every day. He did an absolutly outstanding job, and he is not the only one on here either. So your purpose in arguing with people who are experts at this baffels me quite a bit.

So maybe you are just one of those guys who goes to a coctail party and argues with the brain surgeon and tells him he dosen't know what he is talking about when it comes to brain surgery or the commercial pilot or whatever. While entertaining, it can be annoying after awhile.

My other thought is you are actually a DHS/CBP investigator trolling the forums looking to see who will give out advice on how to skirt/break US Customs laws. Because that is what you are proposing to do - break the law.

Anyway when I was in the process (prior to the recent "crack down") of locating a 110 suitable for import all the advice I got from the members of this forum (both on line and off) was to follow the rules set forth by Customs and you will be fine. If you follow the rules you too will be fine and if have the need to try and "get one over" on the "man" make sure to post up the video of CBP chrushing your shit.

Cheers,
Raub
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Listen to the smart folks on this board.

My truck is nothing sexy. A factory-original 1986 110 SW is anything but special. And that is why it is now sitting in my driveway and not crushed or returned to the UK.

Find yourself a 19J 110 and build the truck how you want it.

Where are you? Your location says 'APO' which leaves plenty to the imagination.

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Tophat
Oliver
All sorts of Defenders

As TS has spoken to the LR UK guys, I presume he is stationed in the UK.

Or he is utterly utterly stupid, or he is the inventor of hard headedness.

The only cars we are selling are factory originals, and even of all those original cars we have one coming back as customs "did not like" the VIN plate rivets. factory original 110 TD with matching numbers engine etc. so I would not risk loosing a converted car to the customs crusher...

But, as many have said in this topic... feel free to send it to the US and see what happens.
Old September 6th, 2013, 01:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Ha. It looks like this guy just came here to argue with everyone for a few days and then dip out. He hasn't been back on since Aug 20th.
Old September 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Matt_110
Matt

Save yourself the headache and bring the right truck over. I was in the same boat. I was at an "APO"/military installation in England when I shipped my 87 110 back to the states. I did my homework too late and didn't realize that my new 2.8TGV didn't meet the EPA requirements. I was solely paying attention to the 25 year rule. I took the chance to ship it anyway and luckily had no issues. Now, at the same port it arrived, Baltimore, they are crushing shady Defenders. Listen to the guys here on the board. They know what they are talking about. Good luck.
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What does this refer to exactly?

Quote:
Non-Residents (Dual national?)
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:49 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
It's been 4 months. We need updates. Where is your truck?
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:08 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
It's been 4 months. We need updates. Where is your truck?
Don't expect a response. The guy hasn't been here since 20 August.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Jonathan/Jdc0430 was actually a Customs agent.
He was testing the forum to see if he could elicit illegal importing advice.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 300tdi, import, rhd, tdi