The Impossible Import: 25+ RHD 110 w/300TDi - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: What are the odds of this being a success?
0% (I work for the EPA and will personally get on this) 7 70.00%
10% (I'm an RI who handled my own from cradle to grave) 0 0%
15% (I've heard too many horror stories and no successful ones, but see them in the US) 2 20.00%
>15% (Someone with enough determination will make it happen) 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Since the 300 tdi didn't exist until 1994 MY, you are inviting CBP to crush your vehicle.
That's probably just the first violation CBP will find justifying destruction.
FWIW, There is a lengthy process to petition Customs to export a vehicle you own that has been denied entry. They have an entire division called Fines,Forfeitures,and Seizures that is dedicated to handling these. If an owner elects to not go through the process Customs gets your truck. This is known as forfeiture. If you are a dealership or a repeat offender they will likely deny you the ability to ship it out. The preponderance of vehicles seized are re-exported after storage costs and sometimes a fine are paid. Most of the forfeiture trucks are sold @ auction for parts. The frame and engine block of trucks bought @ these auctions are to be returned to customs in destroyed condition. This is the "crushing" frequently referenced- point is most of the truck lives on.
The video produced by Customs and posted everywhere possible last week was meant to be a message to anyone who hasn't already gotten the message.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2013, 10:39 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdc0430 View Post
Problem is, as everyone has ran across, is that she was a V8 off the Solihull line 28 years ago, but was engine swapped after a collision sometime in 94.
The problem is easily solved. Sell your truck and buy an '88 with a 19J.
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
smooth roof
When did smooth roofs come out? My ex-mod has one. I assume it was replaced by the military or the importer due to damage. Another clue it's been replaced is that one side panel has a horizontal brace and the other side has the newer vertical brace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Sorry if this is a highjack, but can you install a Gems 4.6L with OBD-II, or does it have to be a carbureted 3.5L to be eligible for import.
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:08 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The problem is easily solved. Sell your truck and buy an '88 with a 19J.
Ed is correct. I feel this whole import soap opera can be summed up in one statement.

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Thank you but no.
Yeah, kinda of figured that...

this thread is stupid...
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:18 PM
LRC
LRC Customs
2005 HSE

Pull the motor and ship with empty engine bay! Dissemble the motor and ship it separate, when you get home you will have a little project and the impossible import.
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:43 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

There are many that have gotten creative...discussing any of it in a open forum (and you're naive to think that they aren't monitored) is stupid...
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:06 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Honeypot
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I love that exactly one person has voted in this stupid poll.

/
/
/
/
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC View Post
Pull the motor and ship with empty engine bay! Dissemble the motor and ship it separate, when you get home you will have a little project and the impossible import.
Not an original thought.

In order to get import documents for a vehicle it has to enter complete, doesn't have to run. Otherwise you end up with entry docs for parts and an inabilty to provide DMV with what they
require to title a truck in most states.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 18th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Bolson
Ben Olson
1995 Defender 110

Registry
threads like these make me happy I live in Canada and already own a Defender 110 CSW with a 300 tdi..... sounds like those folks in Customs need to focus on more Important things than old trucks........ it must be nice to live in a country with no drug crime or illegal immigration???? ( only kidding...kinda )
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:51 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
That's a great shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I love that exactly one person has voted in this stupid poll.

Old August 18th, 2013, 07:32 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

One quick point. The 300 tdi makes no difference. It could have a nuclear reactor or a steam engine in it and the issue would be the same.

None of this is a big deal. Bring in a non modified truck and you are fine. There can be normal interior and exterior work done to it but normal is an open description. Best plan is to just bring in a truck fresh off the street and do the work here.

We generally get an arrival notice on Thursday, truck arrives over the weekend, inspected Monday-Wed then delivered to us by Friday.

There is nothing to fear here at all. There are not any lurking bogey bear CBP agents looking to come get you, no one wants to have your truck in storage, no one wants to fill out any paperwork or have any additional hassle then they are required to have. CBP is another Federal Agency that just wants to do its job with as little hassle as possible then go home.

Follow the rules, don't push the envelope and you will have no issue at all.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old August 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

But this guy is not asking about bringing in a conforming truck...it's well documented that conforming, original trucks are being delivered everyday...
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:26 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:

You clearly don't frequent the different forums. Things have radically changed since last fall. There are threads everywhere. If the original poster had truly read all the 400,000 threads he indicates he has read this spring and had gained the knowledge he alludes to, he should have no questions.

As stated above all land rovers are "advance targeted" when the security filing is made and Land Rover pops up, before ever getting on a ship. This means 100% physical inspections whether container or ro/ro. Pictures are taken by Customs and forwarded to EPA,DOT, and Land Rover. DOT and Land Rover are looking for any modifications that will negate the trucks eligibility for the 25 yr waiver which requires that the vehicle be all original. Seats,dash,door, smooth roof, alloy wheels, obviously modified suspension, will all get you snagged. Epa will decoded the vin- the engine the truck left solihull with needs to be whats under the hood, not the exact engine but an exact replacement, no exceptions. So if Customs sends them a picture of a 300 tdi and vin says V8 you are done. This process takes weeks regardless of port.

I handled 28 trucks last month. The key is all original.
If a person attempt to ship a 25 y/o truck next year (2014) with a 1990 200tdi engine, will they have a problem. Lets say that the truck had a 2.5td and in 1990 the company that owned the truck put in a 200tdi and changed it on the V5 many years ago, would there be a problem?
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:15 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Well said David... and,

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
One quick point. The 300 tdi makes no difference. It could have a nuclear reactor or a steam engine in it and the issue would be the same.

None of this is a big deal. Bring in a non modified truck and you are fine...
And to add to David's wisdom:

I don't see why this is such a big issue.

If you go here and decode your vin:
http://www.expeditiongear.co.za/cu5/...IN-Number.aspx

Which is a 5 - 10 minute task at the most for someone of average intelligence.

Then you MAKE SURE the vehicle you intend to import matches the vin sequence.
If it does not, then you DO NOT import it or you change it (which requires wrenching effort or paying someone) to reflect the original vin sequence configuration.
These are very very simple rules that a child could easily understand.

So if your vehicle does not match the original equipment configuration when it crosses the port, there is a better than good chance that it will not be allowed in. And if this happens, who is the dummy in that deal?

This is not a difficult concept to grasp and I do not understand why it even warrants a thread in the first place.
I can understanding someone posting a "my diesel won't start after changing the fuel filter", but why can't I import a non-conforming vehicle is a pure waste of bandwith. Someone may as well post, why can't I drive my Land Rover under water from UK to Canada!!!

This whole thread is very very silly from the pole to the last posting (including this one).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I wonder if the OP still considers himself "selfish" because he has still offered NOTHING to our community?
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
... There is nothing to fear here at all. There are not any lurking bogey bear CBP agents looking to come get you, no one wants to have your truck in storage, no one wants to fill out any paperwork or have any additional hassle then they are required to have. CBP is another Federal Agency that just wants to do its job with as little hassle as possible then go home.

Follow the rules, don't push the envelope and you will have no issue at all.
Is this thread some weird Land Rover Monthly piece of performance art where they see if Americans know what they are talking about on imports? The reason I ask is because above advice and what Doug says this is really all there is to say on the matter. I want popcorn and a bag of chips if someone REALLY wants to try and set precedence. The CBP intelligence and targeting lady is most likely reading this thread and checking the rosters at UK ports for a 300TDI D110 or at least posting a sticky note over her computer monitor that says "Remember to smash the truck of that guy on Defender Source who wants to try to run the gauntlet!"

Give up the ghost, sell it off for a couple of thousand pounds to another American on your base (RAF Mildenhall?) and get a good LHD from the Netherlands or Germany.
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:21 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
If a person attempt to ship a 25 y/o truck next year (2014) with a 1990 200tdi engine, will they have a problem. Lets say that the truck had a 2.5td and in 1990 the company that owned the truck put in a 200tdi and changed it on the V5 many years ago, would there be a problem?
What part of 'original configuration' are you missing?

A 200tdi is not original ... therefore the truck is not in it's original configuration and can't be imported.

If that's the truck you own in the UK ... sell it because it's not coming to the US any time soon.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 300tdi, import, rhd, tdi