The good, the bad and the Ugly. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
Todd Miller
Land Rover
I hope you knew the condition before you bought it. what a shocker rolling off the delivery truck if not!

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol
Looks like a frame swap would make for a nice winter project.

Cheers and welcome to the community.

Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
Chris Hinkle
More than I need
You need to start collecting a few other things for the frame swap. Brake and fuel lines have been mentioned. Stainless bolt kits are floating around for the D90. I suspect the skidplate under the fuel tank may be toast with all the frame rust. Also is there any bulkhead rust? If it has carpeting, pull it back and look in the footwells.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:45 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor
Originally Posted by Gunmaker
okay here is a larger picture of my avatar.

Oh snap! That is hilarious! Glad the D90 survived.
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover

Wolf Fabrication
Semper Fi!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270
I was aware of the rust and had planed on replacing the frame in a few years. It was worse than I thought or was told. So it was a bit of a surprise when it rolled off the truck. Worst part is the interior is really pretty good as is the body. The body has a few dents in it but the rust. Still I am pretty sure I will be okay.

My original plan was to drive it for a few years and when the engine got bad do a restoration and swap out the frame and put in a TDI. That has changed and now am looking at some sort of solution.

Great point about welding on the frame. I really don't plan on it but then I am not sure if I will ever need to or want to down the road. Just one more thing to think about. I am not going to make it a rock crawler just a good 4x4 and daily driver.

There is some bulkhead rust under the drive side foot well but surprisingly there is not really any other rust. Oh the rust on the foot well is on the underside of the truck. If you pull the carpet back you can not tell that there is rust.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
First off, congrats on the new truck. That's my favorite color on the 90. I'm typically not a blue car person but I just think it goes well with the boxy shape.

My guess is you'll find some more demons when you start taking it apart. If the rust is that bad where you can see it, there has to be more to be discovered. However, if you are replacing the frame, it will be much easier to handle things when apart. Luckily there is a great knowledge base on this site along with others that have done the same thing with documentation.

Crazy story and pic. I don't think you could plan a stunt as "good" as that came out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions