The Dreaded Bulkhead to Chassis Bolts! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:03 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

The Dreaded Bulkhead to Chassis Bolts!

Well, I thought I would try to seal up a few leaks on my NAS 90 and ended up deciding the swap in a galvanized frame The short version of the story is that when I took down the cross bar under the transmission I discovered a major hole in the frame. Since the old frame was banged around pretty good by the PO, I thought I'd try my hand a replacing it. What an awesome project this has been and the forum has been invaluable. I've reached the point where I should be removing the bulkhead but the problem is that the #$!* through bolts won't come out. I got the nuts to come off but the bolts just don't want to let go. Beating the daylights out of one got it to back out about a half inch. It spins with a good deal of force but won't come out any more. One of the previous owners put rock sliders on and the bolts hold those in place as well. Since the frame was bent, I suspect the sliders also took a beating and wouldn't be surprised if the bolts are bent. Any suggestions as to how I can get the darn things out?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:40 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
BFH. Try putting a jack under the bulkhead to take the weight off the bolt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:43 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Air chisel

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2016, 07:55 AM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Thanks Forrest! I was thinking about putting a torch to the bolts to heat them up. Any idea if this will work? Have you ever tried this before? I'm not sure what it would do to the aluminum in the bulkhead.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:07 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

bulkheads are steel.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:09 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Sawzall

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:09 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Torch the crap out of it. Use Mapp gas or Oxy/Axcet for the task. Propane isn't hot enough. Follow with Kroil or PB Blaster. If you've moved the bolt 1/2 inch you might cut off the protruding end and work it the other way. Try hard not to burn paint. The bulkhead will be fine as long as you're not applying heat directly. You could start cut away at the old outrigger from the bottom until you get to the portion retaining the bolt and heat it directly or just split it lengthwise to relieve pressure.

'71 IIA 88" LS1 hybrid
'84 110 5 door 'Nigerian Princess'
'90 RRC
'97 D1 LSE (parting out)
'02 D2 Kalahari
'02 D2 SE
'02 D2 SE
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:11 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

I had the same problem. Soaked mine in PB blaster for about a week and I was finally able to back them out. Huge PITA.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

As always, you guys are great. Thanks for the input. I've been hitting it with PB Blaster for the last couple days in anticipation of getting to this point. I'll grab the air chisel set from my Dad and the big touch from my brother in law and give it another go.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:02 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Since you're swapping frames, I'd go the Sawzall route.
Cut the bolts.
Then when the bulkhead is off and there is no tension on the bolts, knock the remainder out of the bulkhead.
Certainly, you'll be putting in new bolts anyway that are slathered in anti-sieze grease.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 23rd, 2016, 05:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmckee View Post
Thanks Forrest! I was thinking about putting a torch to the bolts to heat them up. Any idea if this will work? Have you ever tried this before? I'm not sure what it would do to the aluminum in the bulkhead.
Heat away, there is no aluminum in the bulkhead.

Old May 23rd, 2016, 06:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Since I have done a bunch of these .... Or at least tried to ...

Take the nut off. This is the easy part. Put it back on the threads but just enough that it is covering the threads so they don't mushroom.

Try turning the bolt end. If it spins, great, you have a unicorn. If it does not, hammer the crap out of the nut end. Try spinning again.

Ok so that did not work. Spray some PB on the bolt where it goes through the frame, disconnect everything that should get the bulkhead off, they stick a prybar in there while you hammer on the nut and the bolts should be seized in the bulkhead but should come of of the frame. Remove bulkhead with bolts sticking out. Heat can help, but generally they come out of the frame just not the bulkhead.

Replace bulkhead and frame with new. Buy new bolts (note they are longer on NAS Trucks so the stock rover part is too short). Slather the shafts in anti-seize (or marine grade grease). Refit.

If you need to get them out of the bulkhead, spin the bolt until the head sheers off, pound on the other end until you start bending the bulkhead foot, then give up, cut the sides off and air chisel away. That probably won't work either so just buy new feet and weld them on the bulkhead or cut out the tubes and fit new tubes.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:37 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Sounds like I have a wide range of options/scenarios than can play out. Picked up a new compressor today a sprayed about half a can of PB Blaster on the bolts. Tomorrow I start with the air chisel with a punch bit in it then move to more drastic measures if need be. Fingers crossed.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
160 psi air pressure and a 400ft lb impact works the charm for me. When they spin but don't back out simply push on the thread end of the bolt with a block of wood and then a screw driver once its inside the outrigger. I wouldn't beat on them with a hammer.
FWIW -Kroil is far superior to pb blaster

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:59 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Thanks Doug - just ordered a can of Kroil from Amazon I'm gonna be about 35psi and 100lbs short on muscle but hopefully what I have will be enough. Fingers crossed. One way or another those little suckers are coming out.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 11:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you moved one a half inch you have that one whipped. Impacts tend to break things loose with the hammer action that a breaker bar will just sheer off.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 24th, 2016, 09:18 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Success!!! Thanks to everyone who offered up suggestions. The winning formula for me was lots of PB Blaster (Kroil won't be here till Thursday), lots of heat from a torch and then finish it off with an air chisel bitch slapping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	150201  
Old May 24th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Nice... like Doug said, go straight to the Kroil.
It really is the best.

So which brand galvanized frame are you going with?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:17 AM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

I went with one from Rovers North (RNS365). It seems good. I saw that Atlantic British has a frame kit that includes a bunch of other things that will likely be needed including fuel lines, shocks, springs and hardware for about $1,200 more than I paid. Provided the frames are equivalent, that would have been a better deal for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	150219  
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I know its a deep sickness but,

galvanized chassis are sexy.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bolts