The Dreaded Bulkhead to Chassis Bolts! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2016, 08:52 AM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

I know Makes me consider galvanizing the bulkhead while I'm at it. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2016, 02:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmckee View Post
Success!!! Thanks to everyone who offered up suggestions. The winning formula for me was lots of PB Blaster (Kroil won't be here till Thursday), lots of heat from a torch and then finish it off with an air chisel bitch slapping
That frame is better than 90% of NAS frames. Patch the holes behind the cross member and send it to be galvanized. Your shock towers even look non-rusty. Someone will want that frame.
Old May 25th, 2016, 11:50 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

You're right, Ron - already sold I've decided to pull the trigger on galvanizing the bulkhead, shock towers and sill channels. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with the seat box? I'm going to have it sand blasted cause it has a fair amount of surface rust but I'm not sure where to go from there. Are there other things I should consider galvanizing or powder coating while I'm at it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	150292  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2016, 11:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Take the steel part off and galvanize it then refit.

Shock towers, crossmember, cappings, spare tire carrier, inner panel on tailgate, third brake light bar, gas tank skid plate, consider door frames (never done them myself on a soft top), support cross members under tub, all the little brackets for the chassis and body, lower cage mounts (especially the ones at the back, the a pillar mounts, and the under bar) basically if it is steel and not an axle or radius arm (they have been done too), galvanize it.
Old May 26th, 2016, 12:02 AM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

I guess I could find a magnet and figure it out but in the spirit of lethargy... What is/are the steel parts?
Old May 26th, 2016, 12:04 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmckee View Post
I guess I could find a magnet and figure it out but in the spirit of lethargy... What is/are the steel parts?
The part that holds the battery and the storage compartment under the passenger seat. They are riveted/glued on to the aluminium part. It is pretty obvious which is steel and which is not.
Old May 26th, 2016, 12:22 AM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Cool beans. I'll take my inventory tomorrow. Should take a couple weeks to get everything sand blasted and galvanized. I know it sounds aggressive but I'd like to be on the road by mid July. Have a road trip out to the Brandywine and Lehigh Valleys at the end of the month and would love to make the trip in the Defender. The engine, transmission and t-case are done so it's really just paint and reassembly. How hard can it be?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bolts