The death of a legend - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skupetz View Post
Car-parts.com

A junk yard search engine, you'll fine your v8 disco engine, they all should offer some type of warranty.

That is your cheapest bet... although this might be god telling you it's time to go diesel! I'll let somebody else tell you where to find a cheap diesel.

Either way, good luck.

-Gustaf

or you could just throw a new pump on and drive it for a few more years...kind of like a '97 Rangie Gustaf used to have...

These motors can be surprising...I drove a 3.9 full of sand and it worked until the cam shaft lobes wore down...and Gustaf resurrected my '97 Range Rover when it seized due to a blown up oil pump...

So give a few of the options here a try before you give up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Exactly

Dave

That's what kinda got me so pissed. I've had LRs forever, seen em go through crap in the 3rd World that would've destroyed any other vehicle, and the fact that the engine is still running and theoretically driveable (don't worry not driving it, learned my lesson), made me a bit bothered at the "oh you need a new engine" w/o any other attempts to try something a little less drastic.

These are the original Timex of cars- take a licking, and keep on ticking.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Hey if it makes you feel any better, I got a used 4.0 that works that you can have for free. Its in pieces and im in LA though.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2010, 07:10 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Just to update y'all.
Put her in the hands of a competent former head LR mechanic who owns several D-90s, series, and works on nothing but LR and literally within half an hour, the pump was off, packed with vaseline, put on and she started up. Sounded rough at first but smoothed out and purred like before within a couple of minutes. He says the amount of copper was minimal, and he's seen worse cases last longer, so he says I should get another 100k!!!!

Anyway, want to thank all of you guys for your advice, input, offers of engines both near and far, and helping me get the hell away from this Other guy who so clearly should not claim to be an experienced (&/or competent) LR mechanic.

Happy motoring!!!
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:12 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
Just to update y'all.

Happy motoring!!!
Good to hear. Now get your gold AAA membership.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:15 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Oh you betcha!!!

What do you think I used to tow her from the bad to good!!!!

LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions