The continuing rat saga, evaporative canister edition. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM
jcasteel
John Casteel
1961 Series IIa

The continuing rat saga, evaporative canister edition.

I'm still having issues starting the Rover (second car so I only work on it when time permits). Today it started great twice and both times were after removing and replacing the tube from the intake plenum to the evaporative canister. I don't know if the evaporative canister could have anything to do with difficult starting. I tried to blow into the tube to the evaporative canister thinking that maybe it is blocked. Blowing into the tube didn't work.

Does anybody know if it should be difficult to blow air through this tube?
Anyone have any experience with the evaporative canister?
It looks like the rat(s) may have been over in that area too as it looks like the caniser might have been gnawed on. I'll take the caniser out the next chance I get.

Any advice? When the Defender starts it starts and runs very strong. But I can almost never get it started.

Oh, and an error code 15 appears to be a fault with the sensor on the fuel rail.

Thanks as always, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2005, 11:04 PM
redrover

I think the canister is for unspent fuel vapor when the engine is shut down. When the truck is restarted the vapor is sucked to the engine and burnt. So blowing the tube would be like blowing into a air tight bottle, no flow! JP
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Fault code 15 is for the Fuel Thermister. If this is bad it can lead to hard and no starts, as the engine may think that the fuel temp is high or low when it really is not, thus sending more or less fuel then needed and choking out the engine. Try starting it with your foot on the gas, or also tey unpluggin it and starting.

also check this out

http://www.rangie.com/articles_topic...at=6&subCat=26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2005, 02:59 PM
jcasteel
John Casteel
1961 Series IIa

Response removed as it didn't make sense when I reread Mike's reply.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions