The age old replacement SEAT question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2005, 08:02 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

The age old replacement SEAT question

I have read DOZENS of posts relating to replacement front seats for my 90.

Any definitive answer to the question?

I would like a removable seat so I can access the battery - but can't say I get in there much - usually only if service is being done and then the shop would have to remove the seat.

I would like them to be waterproof if possible and as cheap as possible (is that asking too much?).

Thanks for all the help!

Mike

"You just got to keep on livin' - L-I-V-I-N"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2005, 03:38 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I have the same question.................Crickets Chirping....................Anybody?????
Old December 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The military makes some nice canvas seats? They look to be water proof and cheao as they are only a some canvase streched over a seat frame.

From what I have seen people do

Exmore for the parts (stock) then waterproof seat covers.

Mastercraft/Corbeau/Recaro for seats then a custom bracket with pins so that the seat can be removed when needed.

Seats out of another car, whatever you like that fits. Custom brakets to bolt them down and you have to remove to get in the seat box.

Basicly, find a seat you like, as long as it fits you can make some brackets to bolt them up. As far as waterproof, the only seats that I know of that are truely waterproof would be Hard plastic, a canvas streched over a frame, or the seat cusion needs to be made of water proof foam.

Remember the triangle

cheap, fast, easy

Pick 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2005, 04:57 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Is my ass really that much different from everyone else's? I have never complained about the stock seats, except now that one foam has sagged. Even after a 16 hour drive in one day - Boston to DC and back - I am still good to go.

I don't know what you find lacking in them but I'm sure if you have them redone it would be the cheapest option - and you get to keep that nice waterproof vinyl and the removable frame. You can always have the shop add more comfort here and there.
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Is my ass really that much different from everyone else's? I have never complained about the stock seats, except now that one foam has sagged. Even after a 16 hour drive in one day - Boston to DC and back - I am still good to go.

I don't know what you find lacking in them but I'm sure if you have them redone it would be the cheapest option - and you get to keep that nice waterproof vinyl and the removable frame. You can always have the shop add more comfort here and there.
This is exactly why mine is still stock, no sore butt here and wipe the wet seat off and you are good to go! But having been in Chris Von C's 90 his seats are real nice as they hold your but in place real well when off roading. The down side is they are not waterproof.
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

Mike:

What does Chris Von C have in his 90?

Is the upgrade from stock worth the price?

I am leaning to leaving my seats alone and adding the covers.

Mike
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

This is what Chris has

http://www.defendersource.com/mod/corbeau.html

It depends on what ya want, but if they made these seats waterproof I might consider them as they are real nice, specialy when driving around doorless!
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:11 PM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

Throw out the cheap but.....

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/erol.html#807x815

I put these in a defender and holy smokes, whenever I get my hands on another these will be the ones I use. They had the XS trim level on them.

1 - They are high backs, which I personally like a lot better
2 - They were MUCH more comfortable, there seems to be much more padding. One down side to this was that you sit a little higher than the stock seats, not much and they may eventually settle but I dont know.
3 - The bottoms pop out and the seats use the stock defender seat frames, so they operate just like the stock seats.
4 - The XS trim was nice because the sides and backs were vinyl, but the center was covered in a breathable fabric. This kept you from sweating on hot days, and kept the center of the seat from getting very cold on cold days

Next time I will make sure to get the seat heaters installed, then they will be perfect.

Again these things are nice, but they are pricey.
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:22 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

I think I might go with the Wet Okole covers unless someone tells me it is a bad move.

My seats aren't really bad. I have a cut or two in them and I figure they are going to fall apart soon.

Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac