That freakin drop-arm ball joint.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 17th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

That freakin drop-arm ball joint....

After 6 hours, I give up on trying to take this thing apart. I cannot get the lower cup out of the drop arm, and I am sure that the upper part will be just as difficult.

I've tried a gear puller, heating it with a torch, soaking it in WD-40, wicking in some wax. At this point, I'm ready to just pull the whole drop-arm off and either replace it or bring it to a machinist. Any other suggestions to try?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2006, 07:38 PM
redrover

I am a little confused. Have you seperated the ball joint from the steering rod? Have you removed the pitman arm from the power steering box? It is easier to rebuild the arm outside the truck. Once removed ,take the rubber boot off. remove the clip and interior parts. If you are having trouble disconnecting steering rod or pitman -get a pitman arm removal tool. Works for both ends and all ball joints. They are cheep at any car parts store.
Be aware when the arm seperates from the box, it will drop like a rock. JP

Hans I reread the post. If you are rebuilding the ball joint you remove the topside boot, clip, ball joint seats first. The lower half of the ball joint comes out last. If still on the truck all parts remove upwards. the easiest solution is a new arm complete with ball joint 90-100bucks. But rebuilding it not difficult.
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The point I have it now is that I have the ball joint separated from the steering rod. What little is left of the rubber boot is removed.

But the problem that am having is that the torn to shreds rubber boot allowed water to stangate inside the ball joint. So the two cup halves that go around the ball are rusted solid into the pittman arm. I was able to get the snap-ring off, as well as the lower cap and spring. But the rest of the internals just don't want to come out for me.

I think I'm just going to get a whole new arm at this point.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover
I am a little confused. Have you seperated the ball joint from the steering rod? Have you removed the pitman arm from the power steering box? It is easier to rebuild the arm outside the truck. Once removed ,take the rubber boot off. remove the clip and interior parts. If you are having trouble disconnecting steering rod or pitman -get a pitman arm removal tool. Works for both ends and all ball joints. They are cheep at any car parts store.
Be aware when the arm seperates from the box, it will drop like a rock. JP

Hans I reread the post. If you are rebuilding the ball joint you remove the topside boot, clip, ball joint seats first. The lower half of the ball joint comes out last. If still on the truck all parts remove upwards. the easiest solution is a new arm complete with ball joint 90-100bucks. But rebuilding it not difficult.

Thanks for that JP, I need to change mine out before the Rally. The new arm with ball joint sounds like the safe bet for a quick repair.
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:36 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

hans the same thing happened to me before... save your self the trouble... get new drop arm... some times that bottom cup becomes one with the drop arm and only god him self could get them apart.
Old September 18th, 2006, 10:24 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Hit the top of the ball joint where the nut goes on with a 10lb sledge. The bottom cup will come out. Now the top cup is another story . . .
Old September 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
hans the same thing happened to me before... save your self the trouble... get new drop arm... some times that bottom cup becomes one with the drop arm and only god him self could get them apart.
That or take a die grinder and cut the cup down and the cup some. This will make it easier to get out, if you are careful you can sometimes cut the cup in half and get it out. Never had one mean a new drop arm yet.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Unfortunately time and a growing list of pre-winter tasks to perform on the truck mean that I'm going to order a new drop arm. I just can't spare an afternoon or two right now to take care of refurbishing the old one the hard way, and I need to get the steering back to normal before I get a new set of tires. That, and I don't really have a spare vehicle right now since the CJ is giving me fits. Though it is good to know that saving the current arm isn't out of the question yet.

Old September 18th, 2006, 02:10 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Afternoon????
Dude, put the beers down. Takes like 30 minutes max.

Send it to me and I'll install a new kit in it. That way you won't have to do it and it won't cost as much as a whole new drop arm. Buying a new drop arm is nutz.

Old September 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM
D90user
steve

I guess my will is weak, and tools lacking.... I have mush training to do....

But seriously...what ever you do don;t put the beer down.
Old September 18th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

What I meant is that I don't have anything else to drive while I have the steering arm out, since the Defender is my daily driver. This rules out sending it up to you, or taking it to a local machine shop because I need to get to work somehow. (Not to mention a way to get the arm TO the machine shop). Right now I just don't have the tools to cut it out properly, and I don't want to do a half-assed job on a safety critical part like that.

I do appreciate the offer Mike, but my situation right now means I need a 2nd arm one way or another. If I could get my CJ to run reliably, I might still take you up on that, but no time to work on that before the Wife and I go to Vegas on Thursday.

-Hans

Old September 18th, 2006, 06:51 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I'm in the same boat as Hans. I didn't know until last Saturday that mine was so loose. Now I'm trying to get ready for Moab.

Work on trailer
Work on tow rig
Replace drop arm & ball joint and the rest of the Defender list that I already had
Work on lawn edger
Pick up stuff that I am hauling to Moab for friends
I know I should have started sooner but ...do do occurs

Drop arm with ball joint...$165...time to diddle around on the D 90 source...priceless
Old September 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

What about drop arms on a rebuild exchange basis??
I send you a rebuilt arm, you send me your "core" back.
Therefore zero down time.
Just trying to think of services the Defender community needs.

Old September 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Come up with a simple design for a spare tire carrier that doesn't rattle, holds a 35, a jerry can, a hi-lift and a cooler for realistic money (look at what the same thing goes for for wranglers) and you'll retire early. Same thing with replacement RRC center consoles.
Old September 18th, 2006, 08:30 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Yeah sure, much like the "simple yet easy to install, but that keeps the stock trailer hitch" RR Classic rear bumper people "always wanted". We built one, made it affordable and sold it bare or coated to appeal to all buyers and poof... it took like 3 years to sell 10 of them. Finally got rid of the last one a few months ago.

Old September 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Hey, I could use one of those!!

The drop arm exchange is a good idea, though. How about rebuilt steering boxes on exchange? Hell, with the issues people have even just replacing ujoints you could do something there.
Old September 18th, 2006, 09:32 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
What about drop arms on a rebuild exchange basis??
I send you a rebuilt arm, you send me your "core" back.
Therefore zero down time.

Thanks Mike, I'll repair my old one when I get back mainly because I want to know how. Then I guess I'll keep it for a spare or sell it. Read the manual sounds pretty easy I just don't want to have a last minute problem when I'm trying to get out of here.

As usual my pi$$ poor planning prevented peak performance and cost me $s.
Old September 18th, 2006, 10:48 PM
D90user
steve

Randy- it is super easy as log as you can get the bottom cup out. but if you have time i'm sure you can find a way
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:39 PM
redrover

Randy I know northeast british parts has them complete for 99.00bucks. rebuild kits are 40ish. I carry my spare on the trail as i have seen a few failures on other rigs. see you next week JP
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:47 PM
D90user
steve

Jp- full failure!! really doing what?were they rusted and they snapped or did the cap pop off... just curious

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions