That freakin drop-arm ball joint.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 19th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Exchange basis..... that would work for me actually. Though I'm not sure my current one would be an acceptable core. The top ring on the lip for retaining the rubber boot cracked off.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2006, 05:56 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
Randy- it is super easy as log as you can get the bottom cup out. but if you have time i'm sure you can find a way

Yeah I see what you mean!!! Once I removed the circlip the ball joint pieces almost fell out except for the bottom cup (socket). Nothing but powdered rust. And in typical LR style, the bottom socket is actually on top???
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:52 PM
redrover

Steve the failures were not on land rovers. Both were on jeeps with large tires. On one the cast broke . On the other the arm was loose. After removing pitman you could see stipped splines. The box splines were fine. The arms look very sililar to ours. Cant hurt to carry amd maybe get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2006, 09:07 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

good to know JP, I have never heard of a rover one failing completely... although when I took mine out last time I could see how it is possible
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Back to this question, new drop arm in hand. What size nut is that where the drop arm bolts to the steering box? I've got a gear puller ready when I get the nut off, just need to know what size wrench it is.

-Hans

Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

34mm
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

oh, good. I think I have that socket in storage. Will check before I go to work.

Then, I cross my fingers about getting the thing off at all.

-Hans

Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I had to use a puller and some heat to get mine off.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've got the puller and torch ready to go, tomorrow I'll give it a whirl and see what I break.

-Hans

Old October 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
partialhijackalert: Is this drop-arm ball joint the same style as Range Rover classics? IIRC, it is...
Old October 24th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I believe so, yes. But not 100% sure.

Attempt #1 at removing the arm: Failure of the puller, teeth got goobered up.

Also, I found that 1-5/16" sockets fit that nut perfectly.

-Hans

Old October 25th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Tried again, nice new puller with the cage to prevent slipping off. Broke a tooth off the puller.

I give up, $120 in broken tools now. Mechanic time.

-Hans

Old May 12th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

OK. Time to resurrect this thread. I've got a drop arm rebuild kit, and if I understand JP correctly, I've got to remove everything up from the underside? It seems like I have to get the ball joint and the top cup out by tapping through the hole in the bottom cup. Then go from the top and tap out the bottom cup. It ain't budging so far, so tomorrow it gets heat.

Am I missing anything?

Follow-up Post:

Upon further reflection, it seems that everything has to come out through the bottom. The spring, cap and circlip go on last from the underneath, and that pushes everything up. Is that right?
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, that is correct. All the guts drop out from the bottom, and go back in the same way. The kit should have a diagram of the order to put them all back in.

Just be careful, as there is a fairly strong spring in there, so make sure you got some goggles on when you put out the ring. Putting it all back in can get a bit tricky, since you have to compress the spring again to get the cover back in place.

Good Luck!

-Hans

Old May 13th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Awesome Hans. Thanks for the confirmation. The spring and plate fell right out. I'm going to try the caulk gun/socket press as shown in the tech section. Should work..............
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yep, that is correct. All the guts drop out from the bottom, and go back in the same way. The kit should have a diagram of the order to put them all back in.
-Hans
Super thread resurrection. Time to replace my ball joint, I sort of have a kit albeit w/o instructions. I took the old ball joint apart from the bottom, all came out nicely except the upper cup, which seems to be in there pretty tight. Pitman arm still on the truck. Need to make sure I try to bang/push it out the correct way.

Does it go out from the top or the bottom (bottom means it follows everything else out)? Or does this piece need to be drifted out the top? I'm assuming the former and it comes out the bottom.
TIA
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I went through this exercise a few years ago. I went to Autozone and bought a puller with a lifetime guarantee. It broke. So did the second one. I took the steering box off and trotted down to the machine shop. It broke the guy's press. I ended up buying a used box for $100, complete with arm and functional ball joint.
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

All the parts come out the bottom, nothing comes out of the top other than the rubber dust boot.

-Hans

Old February 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

I also want to replace the ball joint, but I am also having difficulty removing the pitman arm. I have beat on it, pulled on it blastered it. Am currently driving with the nut one turn loose hoping the jarring will loosen it up. any other ideas? Afraid to use heat and ruin the steering box seal.
Old February 7th, 2010, 07:53 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I'm still working on the upper cup with the pitman arm still on the truck and still no luck. Looking to get some heat tomorrow to see if that will make a difference.

This may help out getting the pitman arm off...
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...30&postcount=8
Goodluck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions