Thank you for the Forum! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
TMC2K
Thom
1995 NAS D90 Soft Top

Question Thank you for the Forum!

I only recently found this site and it has helped me solve a few issues on my D90. I just wanted to say thanks to the site owners and community.

I'm the original owner of a 1995 NAS D90 ST. I've never been mechanically inclined but I've recently decided to dive into sprucing it up. I've replaced all the lamps and directional lights, antenna and fixed the radio. I added the new Tuffy center box. I replaced the front bumper and working on a rust spot on the brush bar. I'm halfway through doing a stainless steel bolt conversion, while trying to clean every little nook on the body. I also have a new front windscreen but I don't think I can do that install by myself. I'll also be doing a Redline MTL changover (assuming I figure that out).

Some questions:
Paint: There are some very minor rust spots on the hinges due to the bolts rusting so it looks like I'll have to paint those. What is the right type of paint to get for this. The D90 is Alpine White and I should only need a small can of spray paint.

Soft Tops: I have two full soft tops (the original and a vrtually unused soft top), a bimini soft top. The original top fits best but it has some rips. Where/How can I get these rips repaired?

I have the fiberglass hard top on now. But will change it out during the bolt/cleaning project.

I've had the vehicle listed on Auto Trader for awhile, but I only get tire kickers. I'll be posting it here after I'm done these projects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Welcome Thom,
don't sell it...you'll regret it!
George
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:37 AM
TMC2K
Thom
1995 NAS D90 Soft Top

I've been "selling" it for the past 5 years. It's definately hard to part with. I'm in no hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
you should have it paid off by now...keep it x2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Welcome Thom. The Alpine White touch up paint should still be available at your LR dealer. As for the bolts, if you decide not to paint them, there are stainless steel replacement bolt kits available, but they are a bit pricey.
As for your top, I would searh out local top/upholstry shops in your area. They can probably repair it.
Thare is vast knowledge here on our 90s. The search feature can find you most everything.
Again, welcome!
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:54 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I used a local Mountainsmith/North Face/REI repair shop here. She does wet suits and other "odd" jobs for a repair on a top. EXCELLENT work and she reinforced the straps with some kevlar type product. Not to mention it was $25 for the repair.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:49 AM
TMC2K
Thom
1995 NAS D90 Soft Top

Thanks

Quote:
you should have it paid off by now
@Grover - Every so often it seems I pay for again with some new project. It's getting hard to justify having 3 autos (plus my wife's), so I will have to let it go at some point.

Quote:
As for the bolts, if you decide not to paint them, there are stainless steel replacement bolt kits available, but they are a bit pricey.
@Burke - Yes I have the bolt set, although it may not work for the rear part of the roll cage (the bolt kit sold by Atlantic British is not torx head - it's hex which leaves no room to fit a wrench in the molding on the roll cage). I don't plan to paint the bolts, but rust discoloration on the body where the old bolts were.
I have used the search extensively to solve a number of problems, it's been very valuable.

Quote:
I used a local Mountainsmith/North Face/REI repair shop here
@aosias - What a great idea! Thanks! I should find someone nearby that can do that.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC2K
@Burke - Yes I have the bolt set, although it may not work for the rear part of the roll cage (the bolt kit sold by Atlantic British is not torx head - it's hex which leaves no room to fit a wrench in the molding on the roll cage). I don't plan to paint the bolts, but rust discoloration on the body where the old bolts were.
George @ roversdownsouth.com sells Torx replacement bolts for the cage.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions