TF RTC Steering Dampener? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

TF RTC Steering Dampener?

My OME steering dampener is showing signs of wear and it's time to go shopping. I was just going to replace it with another one but then I came across this bling-ish little item:

http://lucky8llc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=2399

Was wondering if anyone has used this and what the advantages/disadvantages might be? I can't see where snapping the steering wheel back to center on the highway quickly would be particularly safe and/or helpful but this could come in handy in some off road situations. It would both work against and with the steering pump so I'm not sure if it extends life, causes premature failure or does nothing. I'm running 255/85R16's for reference. Thanks, in advance, for your input.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I cannot see it being a bad thing, except... having one fitted will mask other issues and you would want to remove it every few weeks to make sure it is not preventing you from noticing other issues.

If once my castor is corrected my self-centering does not improve enough I would consider trying one. However, I generally have things apart every few weeks anyway and I'm probably the most picky person out there when it comes to handling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I think I'd give one a go on the RRC if they had the proper mounting style.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2010, 09:38 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
My OME steering dampener is showing signs of wear
How long did it last ? I have a Bilstein and the pulling on one side is making me crazy. I was thinking about OME but this can be interesting.
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
How long did it last ? I have a Bilstein and the pulling on one side is making me crazy. I was thinking about OME but this can be interesting.
Not quite sure- was installed by previous owner. Just had the panhard rod bushings (and every other bushing in the drivetrain) installed to address the infamous "death wobble". There's a shimmy when I hit bumps at highway speeds. I may be expecting too much but another $80 for a new steering dampener is a drop in the bucket compared to what I've put into this money pit since I've acquired it!

I'd check into it but my understanding is the Bilstein products are an upgrade to original equipment with regard to handling but they aren't as heavy duty as the OME stuff, which is necessary if you've beefed up your suspension, installed bigger wheels, etc.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:27 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
There's a shimmy when I hit bumps at highway speeds.
Its your swivel pin bearing preload.
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That OME steering dampener was put on when I put the OME lift on - roughly Fall of 08.

Semper Fi!
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:19 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
That OME steering dampener was put on when I put the OME lift on - roughly Fall of 08.
Thanks!

------ Follow up post added November 21st, 2010 06:21 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
Its your swivel pin bearing preload.
Thanks Steve- I'll check that. Sounds like my dampener has relatively low miles/off road use so this would make sense
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions