Testing fuel lines - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Testing fuel lines

I am getting ready to get the rear tub back from the painter on the 110 project and before I start fitting it to the truck I want to test the fuel pump, fuel lines etc... to make sure all works and there are not leaks etc...

It is a stock 4.0 system basically. Question is do I need to have the motor running to actually test it all properly or can I just put 12 volts to the pump and get pressure up in the system?

WIll the fuel get pumped up to the rail and back the return line to the tank without the motor running or any of the fuel management stuff hooked up?

I am trying to get away from having to mock up the entire system just to make sure the lines are all good etc..

THanks for the help.

Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2010, 10:47 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

I imagine you will need the ECM to prime the pump. The lines will only fit on way to make sure the return and sending dont get crossed. If you have the flex lines out and you are in doubt, send them to a line shop to get redone. Cheap and even cheaper insurance.
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Nick. Thanks. Good point on the ECM. That's what I was wondering if I need to mock up the entire system with ECM etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
As long as your lines and the fuel rail stuff are all in and connected up right then you can just hook up a battery to the pump connections and it should run. Fuel should go to the rail and once it reaches the pressure of the relief valve then it should return to the tank via the return line. No need for the rest of the the stuff if all you want to do is test for leaks in the lines and tank area.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel