Terrible clacking frim 300tdi - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

Just pulled into Lake Tahoe after a second 700 mile day running the new 300tdi in the Defender. One hell of a better engine....quieter, pulls stronger, and if we didn't have her loaded to the gills I'd bet she'd make better mileage. Unfortunately we didn't have any kind of compression tests or background on the motor that North Texas British provided but be damned if she's not a runner! Mike at Ferraris and More in East Dallas was more than accommodating with the swap and honestly couldn't have made the time we did without his help....less than 4 work days and we were back on the road!
Currently the belt tensioner looks like it make be coming apart and will get a new one on in Portland. Scared to hell of jinxing us but looking like we could be in Bellingham plenty of time to make our ferry. The drive from Haines to Anchorage this time of year could prove to be the literal icing on our trip!
Many thanks to all the members here that keep us on the road!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1914392600.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	113853  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I wish I knew you were in the neighborhood. We have plenty of room for you to stay. Hell, id even feed you! If you are headed down I80 to I5 in the morning, feel free to stop in for breakfast or a cup of coffee. -Jeff
So we didn't know we'd be this far East either...
We check the wind forecast like sailors when heading the Defender Westward. Nothing we saw forecasted the 30mph wind right ON OUR NOSE that started first thing out of Vegas this morning. After a couple hours of watching the fuel gauge look like we'd sprung a major leak out the ass end and making all of 50mph constantly swapping between 4th and 5th we changed directions and headed for the mountains. If we were going to do 50 all day we'd at least see some different country! Enjoyed the hell out of a gorgeous Cali day cruising the Sierras.....
Redwoods tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4075429678.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	625.1 KB
ID:	113860  
Old February 15th, 2015, 11:55 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
What route are you taking? Lots of board members along your way that can help out or at least just say "Hi!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2015, 12:00 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

You will love the drive north on 101. Don't know if you'll fit through the drive through tree though. Enjoy the weather!
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
What route are you taking? Lots of board members along your way that can help out or at least just say "Hi!"
Not exactly sure which route we're headed on. Just have to be in Bellingham by Friday. The Ms. has a request or two for beaches and seafood but other than that just trying to make our work commitments outside of Anchorage by March 1.
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:09 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaptain View Post
Not exactly sure which route we're headed on. Just have to be in Bellingham by Friday. The Ms. has a request or two for beaches and seafood but other than that just trying to make our work commitments outside of Anchorage by March 1.
Well, I highly recommend getting out to the Northern California coast, going up Highway 1, see Point Arena (the closest point of land to Hawaii), and so on until you are forced onto Highway 101. Head through some of the redwoods... don't fall for the "drive through tree" as your Defender won't fit, stop in Eureka or Arcata for some local seafood (if you need suggestions let me know), continue up the coast to Crescent City and then take Highway 199 through some of the most scenic areas the NorCal/PacNorWest areas has to offer. Meet back up with the 5 and bomb north.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:11 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

If you are going to head over to the coast go up Hyw 1 until you get to Ukiah and head over to Fort Brag from there. Bodega bay up to Mendocino isn't that great of a drive and you will save a lot of time that way. Give me a call if you need any help navigating. I grew up on and around that stretch of coast. Pm me and I'll give you my number
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:16 AM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Well, I highly recommend getting out to the Northern California coast, going up Highway 1, see Point Arena (the closest point of land to Hawaii), and so on until you are forced onto Highway 101. Head through some of the redwoods... don't fall for the "drive through tree" as your Defender won't fit, stop in Eureka or Arcata for some local seafood (if you need suggestions let me know), continue up the coast to Crescent City and then take Highway 199 through some of the most scenic areas the NorCal/PacNorWest areas has to offer. Meet back up with the 5 and bomb north.
Yes Sir! We're no strangers to 101 but very appreciative of any and all local knowledge. Really too bad we're in a rush with the weather like it's been.
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:40 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaptain View Post
Yes Sir! We're no strangers to 101 but very appreciative of any and all local knowledge. Really too bad we're in a rush with the weather like it's been.
Well, if you are in Arcata for food look to Abruzzi for Italian, or Tomo for Sushi. Eureka has the Waterfront Cafe but I would spend the extra 15 minutes and go to Arcata personally.

If you find yourself in Ukiah go to either North State Cafe or Patrona, both around Courthouse Square.

There really is no reason to stop anywhere else except for gas, bathroom break, or picture moments.

Old February 16th, 2015, 01:23 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Very cool area ! I grew up in Arcata , went to Eureka High . Cool area if you had more time I could send you on some cool adventures . Try Samoa cookhouse for some real local history .
Jacoby storehouse on the plaza in Arcata .
Have a safe trip talk soon .
Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions