Terrible clacking frim 300tdi - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2015, 09:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
There is nothing to see with the pan off.
You could see excessive play in the rod bearings, although like you said before, it likely wouldn't be running.
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2015, 09:29 PM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I wouldn't let anyone at AutoZone diagnose a crack in an egg! F-ing MO-RONS! I once had an oil spray tube fall off (you know the ones that cool the piston skirt from underneath). I doubt it would make a clacking noise if that had happened but is it possible that something else fell off in the lower end? Could your timing have slipped causing some mistimed injection?
Yes, maybe this? I talked to the shop yesterday that tuned my truck about backing the timing off a degree or two. They're in Salt Lake and planned on having it done next week. It has been idling way too fast after they had it and my EGT temps were inhibiting a decent cruise speed. Wayne up in Portland said he's seen injectors fail and act like this. Again, sounded like metal on metal. But did have a puff off smoke come from the filler cap when I pulled it at first.
First thing in the morning we're draining the oil through a strainer. Might take a video of it running before we drain it?
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:06 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i wouldn't run the engine again until you figured out the cause of the noise. it could just damage truck even more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2015, 04:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wishing there was a quick and easy UOA just in case it spots something odd.
Pleased that the clearances etc appear correct.
Before you remove the head, check the timing marks line up correctly. If you do pull the head, I'd be tempted to have a replacement TB kit inc tensioner handy.
What actual EGT temps were you seeing?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:53 AM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

Well, we've done all we know to do. Don't want I get this thing too torn down only an hour and a half from my folks place.
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:51 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Very reminiscent of Josh and I's race to get to Bellingham a few years ago, when my 300Tdi decided to blow every belt and gasket on the engine along the way. While my issues were cooling/head gasket related, it might make you feel better that we in fact made the Ferry.... it can be done!

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:23 PM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

Paging Austin crew and their flatbed.... Sound has progressed to almost unbearable yet nothing out of the exaust pipe and starts quickly every time. The lash cap was indeed gone on #7 but tightened up the lash enough to get home and get new cap. Pretty well everyone on a city block can hear the knocking once fired up now. Metal on metal clank. I know shouldn't run it but the only symptom and the only problem to this is the sound. ALL else seems to be fine? Maybe a loss of power but I'm certainly not revving it strong like I would driving normally.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:24 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Personally I would seriously consider pulling the head and see what's going on in there. You can see the pistons move, cam rotation, etc.

It's not that hard of a job, you would just need new gaskets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:27 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I had an intermittent knock like that in a 2.5na diesel once, in the end a rod cap fell off and the engine was done for.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:31 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Also is it possible your timing adjustment gear was loose and the timing has been slowly going out? You mentioned something about a shop just doing the tuning.

Old February 1st, 2015, 01:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I don't want to sound negative, but you are basically signing the death warrant on your engine by running it again and again without taking off the oil pan and the head.

I am recommending that you stop running the engine!!
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:36 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Can you isolate the source of the sound with stethoscope or say long screwdriver.

Can high EGT damage valves?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:39 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Do you have oil pressure? An oil passage could be clogged after the oil pressure switch. I drove a Disco into the shop once that had a failed oil pump and the motor ran fine, but obviously knocked very badly. Surprisingly the engine was okay after installed a new front cover.
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:32 PM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

Not running the motor any more. Just went ahead and adjusting for missing cap and tried to keep going as advised. Guess it's more than that. Sitting in front of Texas Diesel Power, inc and will see what they say when I get back to the truck in the morning. The Ms has a flight to catch out of Dallas tomorrow before our trek north.
Things happen and GBR knows I sing their praises. The shop Bill had the truck tuned at maybe tuned it up a couple degrees more than it should have been. Even still we've run it all over the country since and just wanted it tamed a bit for better cruise and economy.
Robert just got a pretty good listen and his diagnosis is head gasket
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:11 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

What about the Dog nut on the crank damper. When those are loose it allows the damper to move back and forth creating a knocking noise.
Old February 11th, 2015, 02:29 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Hooked up Ryan with Mike at Ferraris & More in Garland, TX.
Mike pulled the head and found a blown head gasket, cracked piston, and a leaking injector.
Ryan was able to source another engine close by and Mike installed it and had Ryan up and running again in a few days.
We spoke this morning and Ryan is on schedule to make his trip to AK.
Drive safe, Ryan!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 11th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
damn. that's a lot of damage. you think the leaking injector cracked the piston?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 11th, 2015, 02:54 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
damn. that's a lot of damage. you think the leaking injector cracked the piston?
Not likely.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 11th, 2015, 03:51 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Ryan was able to source another engine close by and Mike installed it and had Ryan up and running again in a few days.
We spoke this morning and Ryan is on schedule to make his trip to AK.
Drive safe, Ryan!
good to hear!
Old February 11th, 2015, 03:58 PM
javelinadave
-
-

What a major ordeal. I'm glad it go all sorted out and he will make his ferry back home.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions