Terrafirma vs. Old Man Emu - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 17th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Nine-Zero
Stephen Beres
Defender 90, 1994 NAS

Terrafirma vs. Old Man Emu

Hey gang,

All right, it's finally time to replace my original (and now 20 year old) stock springs and shocks. Now that I'm in California I think at least a 2" lift is also in order. I'm interested in what people's experience has been with the Terrafirma +2 kit vs. the OME Heavy Duty kit. What would you recommend?

As many of you know I have a NAS 90. It's only used off road these days, so road manners aren't as important. I will be adding a Warn 9.5xti in the new year, so there will be some extra weight up front. I also have a tire/fuel carrier on the back.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what kind of suspension do you want ? Lots of droop and super soft (which usually equates to lots of sway on the road) or just ground clearance and decent road manners ? will you be removing your swaybars ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Nine-Zero
Stephen Beres
Defender 90, 1994 NAS

I don't need super articulation, lifting the body back up is important, I'm sagging almost an inch under stock in the back. I'm usually pretty waited down on the trail so the extra load capacity of the heave springs might be nice. As for the sway bars, I will disconnect them depending on the trail but wouldn't leave them off all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2012, 02:04 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Stephen, I've got the OME HD 2+ kit on my disco and it's been great. With the truck fully laden this weekend with camping gear i was sitting a little lower than normal in the rear. I think Baldewin has the kit with the uprated OME nitrocharger sport dampers on his truck. Not sure what springs.

I pulled the rear bar on my disco after going back and forth on debating on making disconnects. Even with the truck loaded down i've not noticed any negative response in the handling. My swaybar hangers kept getting kicked up by rocks on the trail and i had to jack the rear of the truck up to get them to drop down after wheeling. If i had softer springs in the rear it might make bit of difference but with the higher rate HD springs I think it negates any ill effects of removing the rear sway bar.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:26 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I have OME set ups in both trucks, D2 and D90 and so far so good, but I can't compare with Terrafirma, never tried them.

OME is a sure value, easy to install and seems to have a quality manufacturing process.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:51 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Isn't all the TF stuff made in China?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:15 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
The TF stuff has been on the market for much less time but so far it is holding up as good as the OME stuff. I don't know how it will be 5 years down the road since it is a rather new product.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:25 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I ran OME in the RRC and it was alright, I don't think I had enough weight to load the 3" springs up properly. As a whole they did fine but they were not my first choice on the Hunter.

I spent a day riding in Justin's Lucky8 P38. It has Terra Firma shocks and springs. I was very impressed with the quality of the ride, and the amount of abuse the shocks could handle. Over rough sections of trail at what I would consider high speeds 30-35mph for a trail the shocks did amazingly well at keeping the P38 planted and heading in the right direction. Justin really worked those shocks hard, all day and they kept taking it with no issues. I was amazed that there wasn't a blown or snapped shock at the end of the day.

I know that isn't a Defender but that was my experience. When it comes time for shocks I'll be going with TerraFirma based on that day of trails at Rousch Creek.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I've had OME HD coils and shocks on my 99D1 since 2002. 90k miles, 4 cross-country trips (including the '03 border to border trip, 3 MARs (early years), 2 Moab trips, several new england off roading events later, and not to mention being daily driven... one of the rear shocks succumbed to the infamous OME stub breaking off last month. Due to cost, I replaced all the shocks with TF HD and also to see how they would compare. So far, about a month of just regular daily driving, nothing exciting to report yet. They seem the same so far.

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Isn't all the TF stuff made in China?
That is what I gathered. I went with the 2" OME setup for my 110 and have been very happy with it. Honestly one main reason I went with OME was that it was not made in China.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:57 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

OME is made by Monroe, ARB has many products made in China.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:01 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
My 110's on OME HD+2". Nice ride but, a bit firm when not fully ladden.. I should say the ride is not too good when there's no load. I guess it's always a compromise between strengh and confort.
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:04 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
OME is made by Monroe, ARB has many products made in China.
Yeh well, the shiz doesn't come with country of origin info up front. You have to wait until you get the box to find out where it comes from. Maybe if customers knew where the products were made before they plunked down their hard earned money there would be a big difference in whether they buy TF or OME or whatever...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

RTE springs are made in American
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Nine-Zero
Stephen Beres
Defender 90, 1994 NAS

This is all great info, here's one more thing to think about... I won an ARB prize at a rally this summer, that gives me 25% of a suspemsion

------ Follow up post added December 19th, 2012 05:14 PM ------

Sorry, hit send be mistake.

Anyway it gives me 25% off the OME kit making it the same price as the TF. Taking price out of the conversation would you still opt for the TF setup over the OME?
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:01 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Maybe call RTE a call and make them a reasonable offer taking into consideration you'll be buying American and customer service should anything fail. If they can't beat the price hopefully they can explain why theirs is more expensive

Clay

Old December 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Yeh well, the shiz doesn't come with country of origin info up front. You have to wait until you get the box to find out where it comes from. Maybe if customers knew where the products were made before they plunked down their hard earned money there would be a big difference in whether they buy TF or OME or whatever...
Agreed, that is why we have country of origin available to anyone that inquires. It is important for people to know where their products are coming from. Personally I don't really use country of origin as a buying point for my personal vehicles, I've seen bad products produced all over the globe.

Old December 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
Agreed, that is why we have country of origin available to anyone that inquires. It is important for people to know where their products are coming from. Personally I don't really use country of origin as a buying point for my personal vehicles, I've seen bad products produced all over the globe.
I figured you would recommend the Bilstiens.
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:32 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I figured you would recommend the Bilstiens.
Bilsteins are very nice shocks, however they do not have a +2" option so they were out of the picture.

Old December 20th, 2012, 01:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
RTE 2" or OME 751/764 Bisltein or OME or FOX shocks, we buy enough chinese shit as it is

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions