Defender Source Forum banner

Terrafirma Castor Corrected Front Arms Test Drive....Disappointed!

13K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  6777 
#1 ·
I've finally got the truck back on the road today. 2" Terrafirma lift coils, extended stocks, rose jointed rear arms, 3 degree castor corrected front arms, new steering shock, new ball joints, all new bushes, new bolts, u-joints, brake lines, new 285/75/16 KM2s, etc.

First road test, the truck goes straight down the road regardless of speed, but it does not return to center after a corner. I'm a little disappointed, considering most manufacturers say you can do a small lift without correcting castor. I guess I should have bought the 6 degree, but that seemed overkill at the time. I'm going to take it to an alignment shop to see what it is right now. I would hate to have to buy another set of front arms, I want it to drive well...although that's probably asking too much, considering what it is.

Here's what it's set at:

• KMs @ 32 psi
  • front and rear axles parallel to each other, thanks to the rear adjustable arms
  • 1/16" toe out, specs say 3/64-3/32
The only two things I haven't done yet are rebuilding the PS pump. I bought a seal kit to fix the slow seep. And rebuilding the front swivel housings. One side will just move with gravity when disconnected and the other side is a little stiff to push. Both are out of adjustment. I have all the parts to rebuild the front end, but didn't figure they would affect the steering that much.

Any suggestions???

For those thinking of installing the Terrafirma Corrected front arms...here's what they don't tell you:

• The Terrafirma arms use the wider bushes on them, so after having them installed, the center collar on the bushing is 2 1/8" wide. The narrow bushing is 1 7/8"...so get out the grinder and take off 1/8" from each side, 1/4" total. They fit on the axle with a little more than 1/8" space on each side between the mount....what a PITA!!

Attachments

See less See more
#37 ·
I have a 2" Terra Firma lift on mine. HD up front and MD in back with 33X12.5-15 BFG KM1 and a Detroit locker in the rear diff. I have driven the snot out of it on many road trips to events. Wheeled all weekend and then the 850+ miles back home. No steering problems whatsoever. Then I put the Tru Trac up front and all hell broke lose - scary all over the road. I have since had some very competent shops/people work on it and they have made it much, much better.

But the problem is still there and it is the TT in my front diff - one mod too many. However, I know guys that run that same set up (Detroit in the rear & TT up front) and have no issues at all. Why? Who the hell knows.

But what I do know is the very guys you are calling dumbasses will be the first ones to crawl under your truck late at night, on the trail, in the muddy water to get your truck back to camp fixed up and back on the trails the next day. Ask me how I know this. A bunch of dumbasses indeed.

------ Follow up post added April 1st, 2015 10:11 PM ------

P.S. add me to your ignore list please.

#47 ·
Exactly! I get torque steer, on the gas it pulls left off the gas it goes back right. And that was my point, these are basically hand made trucks and each one is different and modifications can produce different results in different trucks. I plan to swap out the TT for an ARB or Ashcroft.

#48 ·
Hmmm, I'd probably chime in here but everyone knows I don't know jack, and with me being the amiable fellow that I am, it wouldn't be long before Charlie added me to the list... So let's just skip the pomp and circumstance and go ahead and do it now.. You come on here as a newb asking for opinions and then solve your problem by throwing a checkbook at it.. Sounds like you should be asking opinions from your financial advisors more that people who actually solve their defender problems by figuring it out themselves... What am I.. Number 14..????

#51 ·
Your the one acting like dick, to ppl whom you don't know or ever dealt with. I would label us as a pack of wolves that protect our own, respect our pack or shut the **** up. Number of posts don't mean much, but like Raub said most of these guys on here are the true blue bloods that make this forum great. Maybe you should take notice to see how many ppl are reacting to you bs and realize your the issue. And like Shayne said everyone will eventually just block him anyway...

Reactions: Daddymow
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.