Terrafirma Bashing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 13th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Terrafirma Bashing

OK, near as I can tell from numerous threads, Terrafirma shocks and other suspension components are the devil, or at least made by him. Are they really that bad? I have a Terrafirma +2 coil conversion on my DII and they have performed extremely well over the last 5 years and I am in the process of putting a Terrafirma +2 kit on my ninety pick up. What's everyone's beef w/ Terrafirma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2016, 06:45 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
It's just that it's all made in China and we are all bashing everything Chinese-made these days. Well, except for the women, of course. There are some awfully cute ones....

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 13th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

I would agree Bill...there certainly are some cuties! Finding it very hard to find something NOT made in China these days...at least something that fits into my budget. Other than origin, was curious about performance/reliability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
shock quality is atrocious

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
This.
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Atrocious you say...ouch! Meaning material qualities or ride quality? I pondered the RN proline stuff before I went w/ the Terrafirma...it appeared to me the Terrafirma was more substantial. As I mentioned I've been running them on my DII without issue and they perform well.
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:15 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I have been told the D-II springs are pretty decent, and perform well when combined with the Fox shocks. We are fitting same this week to a TReK, and will advise.
However, my luck with them on D-I and Defenders is worse than Doug's comment above- I have removed a new set on a purchased truck and replaced immediately. Also, the sets I have seen with miles on them seem to sag terribly, and the shocks and even their bushings are the worst I have seen available.

Old September 13th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Thanks for the response guys. Front shocks, springs & steering damper already installed...to late to back out now! As usual I suppose I'll find out the hard way if I made a poor choice. Will report back good or bad.
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

I like the Terra Firma stuff.
As far as quality and ride. I have not had a problem.

Its interesting that companies that buy brand new Defenders and then build them into Police armoured vehicles, and Miltary armoured remove the OEM suspension and install Terra Firma.
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
I like the Terra Firma stuff.
As far as quality and ride. I have not had a problem.

Its interesting that companies that buy brand new Defenders and then build them into Police armoured vehicles, and Miltary armoured remove the OEM suspension and install Terra Firma.
Thanks for the boost of confidence...I was certainly hoping I'd get at least one positive response!
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:43 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

I have TF +2 sport shocks, and have put apx 10k on them....
They are OK, but really stiff... So they are coming off soon, and will be replaced by Fox. The springs were pulled at 7k miles, medium duty.. They sagged pretty bad in the front but then I have a lot of weight up there too (ARB, winch, hi-Lift, steel skid plate. ) YMMV...
Not bad, just not great suspension and the price in my mind is almost the same as better brands so why bother.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:57 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
No complaints with my TF tube front bumper and sliders after 5-yrs. Galvanized and powder coated, they still look new. Easy fit up. Suspension is OME/Bilstein
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Ran a set of the big bore shocks on my 95 classic, and bagged them about a month later! The front of the RRC felt like the bow of a boat cresting waves! Sucked! Replaced with OME and a great on and off road ride.
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

I've seen several posts about sagging issues...I wonder if this is a defender issue? My DII has been sitting pretty w/o sagging issues for 5yrs. As for price, one reason I went w/ Terrafirma is they are priced mid-ranged...a couple hundred more than the pro-line stuff but at least $300 less than the OME or Bilstien kits. I do a bit of off-roading but nothing crazy so going all out seemed a bit overkill to me.
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:11 AM
User Name
User
NAS D90 '95

I have the Terrafirma 11 inch Travel Mega Sport Competition Kit. I have exactly 3000 miles on it. To date, I have had to send back two hydraulic bump stops and two shocks because they started leaking. Of those 3000 miles, less than 50 were off-road. For a $3k plus kit; it sucks. Should've went with Fox...

Further, their springs also suck. The directions provided say nothing about what springs correspond with which wheel. Through trial and error and through some deep internet searching we realized why the truck wasn't sitting level.
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
I like the Terra Firma stuff. As far as quality and ride. I have not had a problem. Its interesting that companies that buy brand new Defenders and then build them into Police armoured vehicles, and Miltary armoured remove the OEM suspension and install Terra Firma.
As a member of the military who has spent a lot of time in all manner of armored vehicles I don't know that I'd hold that up as evidence that TF is good, perhaps it is more HD than OEM-and it's cheap so that makes bean counters approve procurements.

In my time in uparmored D's in NI I can say w/o a doubt ride quality was not a consideration.
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:16 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I have the Terrafirma 11 inch Travel Mega Sport Competition Kit. I have exactly 3000 miles on it. To date, I have had to send back two hydraulic bump stops and two shocks because they started leaking. Of those 3000 miles, less than 50 were off-road. For a $3k plus kit; it sucks. Should've went with Fox... Further, their springs also suck. The directions provided say nothing about what springs correspond with which wheel. Through trial and error and through some deep internet searching we realized why the truck wasn't sitting level.
My TF wasn't ideal; I'm having the same leveling issues and I'm sure they were installed incorrect.

In the market for new suspension currently
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:18 AM
User Name
User
NAS D90 '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
As a member of the military who has spent a lot of time in all manner of armored vehicles I don't know that I'd hold that up as evidence that TF is good, perhaps it is more HD than OEM-and it's cheap so that makes bean counters approve procurements.

In my time in uparmored D's in NI I can say w/o a doubt ride quality was not a consideration.

I second that! As a active duty service member, I never hold any credence to what the military uses. Can you say lowest bidder???
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:19 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
I have had a set of TF plus 2" springs and shocks on Old Red for 5 years now with no issues, that is with 4 1900 mile round trips to the mountains towing my M416 trailer loaded up. Have had an issue with the gravel roads ( that is what road)

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I have the Terrafirma 11 inch Travel Mega Sport Competition Kit. I have exactly 3000 miles on it. To date, I have had to send back two hydraulic bump stops and two shocks because they started leaking. Of those 3000 miles, less than 50 were off-road. For a $3k plus kit; it sucks. Should've went with Fox...

Further, their springs also suck. The directions provided say nothing about what springs correspond with which wheel. Through trial and error and through some deep internet searching we realized why the truck wasn't sitting level.
Dam, I'm glad I only went w/ the $700 kit! Sorry to hear of your woes. Interesting your kit did not mention the DS/PS spring position...mine have them stamped right on the spring.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions