Terrafirma 2" lift experiences? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Terrafirma 2" lift experiences?

I'm looking for some input from some of you out there that have used this lift. I realize every truck is unique but I am guessing someone out there has had a similar experience. I installed the springs, shocks, retainers and tubular shock towers. Now the steering is unresponsive and downright scary and there is a slight vibration when I let off the accelerator and put a load on the drivetrain but only sometimes, it feels like I am driving on asphalt that has been ground down. I talked to a guy behind a desk(thanks Justin) and his ideas just from the description over the phone were check my steering box and linkage and have a look at the drive shaft. The u-joints seem to be solid, there is a little play in the shaft where the two pieces come together so they can slide in and out but I am assuming that is normal? I was under the impression that you could do the 2" lift without the castor correction, could this be the cause of all my problems? I plan to replace all of the steering bushes but the radius arms were not something I was planning on doing. Sometimes you just have to say WTF right? Thanks for any input or suggestions. I have searched the topic and found some info but I am looking for some more specific opinions of what I need to be looking for

Thanks, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:59 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I can't help you just yet, but come this weekend I'll let you know how my lift kit install goes. I'm putting in all the same terrafirma stuff, +2 medium springs, but with 3 degree castor corrected radius arms and throwing in the bearmach rose joint rear trailing arms. So come sunday I'll hopefully have it all done, and I'll let you know if I have any driving issues. Sorry I couldn't help right now though
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:08 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

So, after doing more reading I think I got the info I need but I am still interested in hearing others experiences with this particular lift and how you have dealt with the different problems that have come up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I just put the same on my truck and have been driving it for a couple weeks now. Didn't have any of the issues you speak of. I also added a return to steering damper steering damper (probably not a good idea for manual steering) that you might benefit from.
Old October 11th, 2011, 11:17 AM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

Sounds like a u-joint may be going bad. May have been marginal prior to lift and extra stress (increased drive line angle) is making symptoms worse.
Yes, the drive shaft should slide in & out. Try greasing the shaft and the u-joints. Make sure you see fresh grease come out of all 4 seals. If not, replace the joint.
Yes, the other feeling could just be loss of camber. But check bushings as well.
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:44 PM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

Back in the spring I installed a OME 2" lift and all new bushings. And like you the first time
I drove it was scary.Then I replaced my (worn out) tie rod ends and rebuilt the pitman arm ball joint.
After that it was better, but still not like it was before the lift. Steering was more "touchy", especially
at speed. After I drove it for a while, including a 3000 mile trip to Utah, I got used to the way it
handles now. It just took a little while.

Hope this help.
Bryan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions