Temperature part numbers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2014, 11:46 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Temperature part numbers

Hi, have searched, but find most mails regarding temperature gauge not working, recommend replacing the lot with VDO components. Not quite ready to do this as getting these, and done here in Hong Kong is not that simple. So can anyone give me LRart numbers for the sensor, the gauge, ans for good measure the thermostat..btw. Does this exist in a variant for hot climates? So far I have found that my defender 50th is practically identical to the 97 NAS.
Cheers, Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2014, 03:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
There is a good reason people recommend replacing with a VDO ... Added to that even jimmy who is a master land rover mechanic can't get LR to supply a working part ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
What is the issue you are having that you want to replace those components? If you unplug the wire from the sensor and ground it to the block that should tell you if your wiring and gauge are working if the gauge pegs fully hot. In my case I had a bad sending unit and the ones I was getting through Land Rover were incorrect. I ended up getting an aftermarket sending unit from Atlantic British which is working properly.

------ Follow up post added May 20th, 2014 06:15 PM ------

If yours is the same as a '97 you need this sensor and this thermostat. I don't know where you would find a new gauge. but you could probably find a used one if you post a thread in the wanted section.
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2014, 12:52 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood

Hi, thanks.. When I start up the guage generally slowly rises up to just above the blue marking, however after five mins or so this starts to drop, untill eventually bottoming out where it tends to stay for the rest of the journey. If I stop the engine but leave the ignition on, then the needle begins to rise again to just above the blue stripe. Given that everything has to be ordered from the UK, I tend to cover my bets, but will try what you suggest to narrow this down. Cheers, tim
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:23 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ground for the gauge is wonky I would bet. At least worth checking. Does turning on the headlights change the behavior?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:47 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood

Hi, and thanks for the advice. Sensor was the issue..guage as mentioned, still good. Cheers, tim
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:19 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Related question:

94 3.9l NAS: temp guage now goes all the way to hot, pegged, even when not running and ignition engaged. Just started yesterday. Seems persistent.

Based on Jymm's response, sounds equivalent to disconnected sender with guage to ground only. Thoughts? Solution?
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
it is grounding somewhere - check your wire. and/or run a new wire from the sender tot he gauge...just do this outside of the truck to confirm it is wire - not sender

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part