Temperature Guage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245

Temperature Guage

Yesterday, my wife and I were cruising around and I noticed my temp guage inching it's way to the orange zone. I checked the anti freeze, which was low...however I've not seen any leaking out anywhere. Is it typical for D90's engine temps to get that hot? Thanks.

Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
The engine should stay right in the middle. If its low, then filling it should get you running right. Unless ther is a bigger issue. Mine has a slooow leak, and when my temp starts creeping, I know its time to add a bit... One day Ill torque everything down.

If the problem persiste even with a full rad and 1/2 full expansion tank, then the best way to diagnose the problem is to keep tabs of when it happens. Stop and go traff, on highway at speed, etc.. different parts not working correctly give different symptoms.

Remember, use 50/50mix of aluminum friendly antifreeze and distilled water only! When you're filling the rad, slowly pump the upper rad hose to burp out any air bubbles. fill that sucker all the way, cap it, then fill the expansion tank half way. Any extra will drain out of the tank.

good luck
~Steve
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Thanks Steve!! I've narrowed it down to...the temp only goes up when I have the AC on. The guage stays in the middle all of the time, except when i turn on the AC. Do you think something might be wrong the clutch on the AC fan? Thanks,
Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Well I dont have AC, so have never been in your situation.. I would check your coolant level first, and top that up.

All I know about AC is that there is alot to go wrong. Sorry I can't be of much help here. The AC coils add alot of heat into your engine radiator (which is also an oil cooler) and your condenser adds alot of heat into your engine compartment.. so everything in your normal system has to be tip top. Check to see if the fan is coming on, if not, then there's a good chance that thats the issue.

You narrowed the problem down so I'm sure someone can chine in with some advice.

~Steve
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:10 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Bump
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I would agree to start by checking to see that the aux fan is kicking on with the AC
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Check your expansion tank as well. Mine developed a leak and I had one very aggrevating ride home one night.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions