Temp Sensor Values - I'm Not Sure if its Overheating! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Temp Sensor Values - I'm Not Sure if its Overheating!

Long story short, I replaced the gauge with the later style (I believe, bought it second hand and it's installed now, so I can't see it at the moment to get numbers off it, but that is the next check. I removed the signal conditioner and now the vehicle keeps overheating. I am not sure it really is, but the thermostat isn't opening and the gauge goes to the red shortly after starting. I played with a laser thermometer a bit and it leads me to believe it isn't running hot, but I don't want to take a chance either. I replaced the sensor yesterday, thinking I may have had the wrong one, but I'm still not sure I have the right one. ECR says it is white, but I ordered the part number they suggested and it came with a red insulator, not white.

Needless to say, same result. I have bypassed the leaking heater core for the time being, and just want to be able to drive it a few miles to the shop so I can get to work on the heater core and some other things.

All in all, I have a new Sensor that I'm not sure is correct, a New to me Gauge that I'm not entirely sure, but 99% sure is correct and I'm planning to replace the T-Stat tomorrow. In the mean time, does anyone know the correct values I should be getting at the gauge? I would like to test and see if I can narrow this down some more rather than replacing everything one at a time. Plus, I want to know for sure if it is running hot or I am just getting false readings.
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
the ground to the gauge can have a huge effect on the signal, and if the sender is not matched to the gauge, then same effect. the sender basically sends a resisted ground signal to the gauge, and the gauge compares that to the gauge earth to the temp. the sender will have a resistance range of x-y representing it's full range, and same with gauge.

do you have an actual probe thermometer? if so, you can drop that into your t-stat housing to take a reading, and compare actual temp to indicated temp on your dash.

I got a $10 IR temp gauge at harbor freight when I was going through the same thing on my diesel, and it ended up being the ground I was using to my vdo gauge. made about a 20-30 deg difference in indicated temp alone.
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Good to know, I'll check that as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
overheating, sensor