temp sensor? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 9th, 2006, 06:57 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

temp sensor?

first question- if your coolant is too low will you still get a reading off of your sender?i also replaced my gauges and my sender with aftermarket. second- i could not find an adaptor for the sender( 5/8 -18 to 1/8 ntp, this is the size i need i had it measured at 2 different fittings places)evrey place i have tried said the dont make the beast i am looking for.i tried the sunpro metric 16 x 1.5 to 1/8 ntp, it screwed in but it leaked. so today i made my own out of the origanal sender.took photos for any one interested.i still can not get a reading on the new gauge.i replaced the wire that goes from the sender to the gauge(should i get some kind of ohm reading from this wire if i had a way to read it?)i am getting power at the pos wire and i ran a new temp ground wire to see if the ground was the problem. i did not use any teflon tape on the new sender. any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

With mine, I ended up getting a male-male fitting that screwed into the sender hole, and then just cut it off with my lathe then drilled/tapped it for the 1/8" fitting. Machine tools are fun :-)

If the coolant is too low, you will still get some kind of reading from the sender, but it will not be accurate at all. It will most likely stay low for quite a while, but if your coolant is that low you will also be able to feel the difference with your hand by grabbing the upper radiator hose. It will feel comparatively cool, and when the engine is cold it will be really easy to squeeze.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:35 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

my coolant is that low.plan on feeling saturday.no heat what so ever in the upper hose.no reading in the gauge at all. but the out side of the sender is hot when i touch it.hans that is a realy good idea also(with the male male fitting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

I agree with Hans,
V8 and 300Tdi have thermal senders that sense fluid temperature at their tip.
If the coolant is low the reading is going to be lower that the real thing.

Pat
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:31 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

wanted to post this info so if anyone else needed it in the future- you should be able to get an ohm reading off the end of the sender- if you remove the sender wire. dont rember of the top of my head but the tech gave me the numbers.
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Anybody know the omh range of the stock sender?
Just match the ohm range with a new VDO gauge (with actual #'s of course) and run a wire from the sender to the gauge and Bob's your uncle. No need to mess with adaptors for the sender. Doesn't the stock gauge have an in line conditioner?
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

Well, not every temperature sensor in a LR is always a VDO (they use Bosch sometimes), do you really know that the one on the V8 is a VDO sender?
Also, among the VDO senders for the same temperature range there are more than one curve R=f(T).
I think the best idea is to replace gauge and matching sender w/o adaptors if possible.
I did it on my 300Tdi w/o problem.

Pat

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sensor