Temp sending unit 3.9 liter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Chrisgrace
Chris Grace
1995 Defender 90

Temp sending unit 3.9 liter

Recently my temp gauge on my 95 D90 became inoperable...no reading. I ordered a new sending unit,part # PRC2506 and installed it. Started the engine and let it run up. The gauge slowly began reading and climbed steadily to the center of the gauge...but then kept going,right to the edge of the red. The engine was not hot. The gauge wasn't pegged,just stayed at the edge of the red.

Thought the unit might be faulty,checked that it was the right number and obtained a new unit.same story . Climbs right to the red and stabilizes...the engine is not over heating.

It seems like the unit I am installing is not calibrated for my gauge.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2014, 07:24 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Are you sure your gauge is original?

A mismatch between gauge and sender type would cause incorrect readings.

Also try running a wire direct from the sender to the back of the gauge ... In case the original wire is at fault.

Then check the condition of all the wires on the back of the gauge.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Chrisgrace
Chris Grace
1995 Defender 90

Thanks. Gauge is original. I have owned the truck since new. I think you are right ,there is a mismatch between sender and gauge,just don't know why. I will check the wiring but that seems unlikely since the gauge is not going to the peg,it works smoothly,progressively and moves off the peg as the engine warms.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions