Temp sender question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2011, 11:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Temp sender question

I have been searching but I'm not coming up with an answer. I suspect it will be simple solution but here goes.

I just put a 3.9L from a '94 disco 1 into a '94 D90. The temp sender is in a different location and a different size and fitting, but most importantly doesn't read correctly. If I start the truck cold, the gauge reads cold (full left) but rises pretty quickly and goes to full right before the truck is even close to warmed up (confirmed via IR temp reader to be 130 degrees or so). The truck has stock gauges. Because it rises I am skeptical it's an idiot light type sender but I am not familiar enough with discos to know if that's what they have.

I happen to have a similar setup in my other D90, although it has a vdo gauge (had it before the engine swap though) and Pendy rebuilt the engine so could well have put in a different sender.

Does anyone know what sender I need for this combo (disco 1 3.9L and and NAS D90 stock temp gauge)? If it helps, the two pictures below are the stock 94 D90 sender (bottom single post), then the 94 disco 1 sender.

tia,
charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	35864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	35865  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:35 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

The sender is always matched to the gauge so ideally you would want to use the original sender that was in your other engine. Can you do this? The other possibility is that the connection/ wire going to the current sender is not good. These gauges work by resistance and a bad connection will put them off.
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:41 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I honestly haven't pulled the sender on the new engine (as I assume I'll lose a fair amount of coolant in the process) but it has a smaller size externally and I suspect the threads will be different. But yeah I guess I need to do this first and not make assumptions

I did have to the extend the wire but I think I made good crimped connections and the extension is bigger than the very thin existing wire.

thanks,
charles

------ Follow up post added February 17th, 2011 09:14 AM ------

I just checked. The senders are very different, the threaded portion of the old one being about twice as large as the new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2011, 10:44 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Check that the sensor harness has 12V... and like you said, maybe the sensors have different parameters. I'm trying to check the numbers on the D90.

The Disco is:
136 Ohms cold
17 Ohms Hot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 17th, 2011, 10:46 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Pendy says I need a 97 D90 temp sender (or defender 300 tdi) which makes sense, since it's very much like a 97 in other respects.

I'll check the voltage but I suspect this is all I need.
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:40 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

I have a couple of those ( brand new), be glad to send you one.
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks, I'll send you a PM
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Had a similar problem this week. Transplanted 300 tdi would start and then within minutes the gauge would be pegged. Spent hours trying to figure out wtf. There were a couple of different issues. The replacement engine thermostat wasn't opening and was installed upside down (bleed hole @ bottom). After replacing the thermostat with a know good one it still read high and clearly wasn't. Swapped out the senders and bob was my uncle.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:10 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Excellent. So you back on the road?

This one wasn't running hot when I pulled it so have not touched the thermostat and don't plan to. I have been verifying temps with an IR reader and everything jives, but I won't drive it until I have a working gauge!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions