temp sender issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
melittle
Mark Little
1987 Land Rover 110

temp sender issue

I've seen a lot of information about swapping out temp senders on vehicles with 200tdi conversions. I have a 1987 110 that began life with a 2.5 petrol engine. A 200tdi was installed, and the temp gauge reads high, consistently. I replaced the thermostat recently, still reads high. I've read quite a few posts that point to a mismatch between the 200tdi temp sender and the original temperature gauge calibrated for the 2.5 petrol engine. So....what I think I need is temp sender PRC 2505. I believe I also need adapter ERC 8973 since the threads on the new vs current temp sender are different. Anyone on this forum had a similar problem? Do these part #s seem correct?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

I had the same issue going from 2.5 TD to 200tdi. I got a VDO set up (well documented around here somewhere as to exact part numbers). Have to get the gauge and the sender. I did have issues with the gauge not working after installed. Never figured that out ended up with some goofy combo of VDO gauge and old sender from the shop. Temps are spot on and after 6 months of frustration I didn't care.

In short: get the VDO set up
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:03 PM
melittle
Mark Little
1987 Land Rover 110

Thanks Chris. I like the idea of a new VDO gauge and sender. Now, does anyone know the thread size of the temp sender on a Discovery spec 200tdi? There is no consensus as far as I can tell from searching online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2012, 11:40 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Here ya go chief!

http://www.land-rover-blog.co.uk/how...over-defender/
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:29 AM
melittle
Mark Little
1987 Land Rover 110

This is useful, but doesn't help me on the discovery 200tdi temp sender thread size...surely this information must exist somewhere?! I've searched the sh!t out of this and I've seen as many opinions as there are posts. I've seen 5/8" UNF, 1/8" NPF, M16x1.5, adapters, tweaks, workarounds....WTF? If I could just buy a VDO gauge with a VDO sender with the correct thread pitch all would be good. If I have to take out the existing sender and measure the thread diameter and pitch then so be it, but I use the truck daily and only have time on weekends to work on it. If anyone with a Discovery 200tdi knows the thread pitch of the sender please chime in...

Thank you.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:50 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Well my defender 200tdi sender is 3/8" BSP. I use a 3/8" to 1/8" NPT adapter.

I doubt vdo has bsp senders so im prettynsure you'll have to adapt.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:20 PM
melittle
Mark Little
1987 Land Rover 110

I've bought a new VDO gauge and sender. Cannibalized the old sender and tapped to 1/8-27 NPT threading of the new sender. Now I just need to hook up the new gauge. The existing gauge had a ground wire from the light to the threaded post in the center of the gauge, and then two other ground wires on that same post from the adjacent gauges in a daisy chain. On the new gauge, is it ok to do the same thing? i.e. ground wire from light to Neg. terminal, than daisy chain those other ground wires through the same terminal?

I'm a rookie with wiring so want to get this right first time so I don't fry something...

here's a diagram of what I think I need to do:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TEMP GAUGE.pdf (29.2 KB, 111 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions