Temp guage problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2005, 06:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Temp guage problem

After driving in all the rain at MAR, i noticed my temp guage was all over the place and jumping from 180 up to 220 and back. what could cause this? Also, when I turned on the lights it would make the guage read even higher. I don't think the engige was running hot at all. what do you guys think i should check first?

Randy

by the way, running a 300tdi and a new VDO temp guage and sender..
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

the ground for the lights and gauge is funky, mine does the same thing when I turn on the headlights. Once it clears up and stops raining I plan on figuring it out
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've had some funky gauge issues too lately.... flipping the heat/defrost levers on the left side of the dash were turning my tach on and off for a while. Occasionally it reads really wacky, all started when I put in my Autometer temp gauge, so it's almost definitely my own damned fault.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was paranoid the whole time at MAR because i thought the TDI was overheating. IT was showing 210 deg. I don't think it is posible. THen on the way home it was going from 190 to 210 in 5 seconds. I don't think that is possible. Do you guyus think its a ground or something?
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

210 isn't that hot, nto enough for me to worry my engine runs upto 195 for normal opperating and I don't worry until I see 220 and up 230, 240 is bad. But if the t-stat wasn't opening right it could get that hot pretty fast. if it is closed the engine gets hot then it opens quick the temp could go up fast. Remeber it's not the actuall temp of the block but the temp of the coolant flowing over the sensor right after it passes the t-stat, well at least on most gas engines, not sure on tdis. It still could be a ground,.
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:23 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I thought the TDI's are cool runners? I have to find out what normal running temp is and what is considered hot..
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

They are cool on the trail, but when under load like on the highway they will warm up. Most TDI owners I know of always run a bit on the warmer side on the highway.
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:01 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
IT was actually even showing it was warm out on the trail when rompin around. I wish i new where to start lookin.. Wiring?? or could it have been accurate?? Thermostat sticky?? Does the coolant have to be mixed 50/50 to cool properly?
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:26 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

i took my fan off of my 300tdi and ran it summer and winter that way with no over heating

Old October 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Huh. thats cool. if it was accurate, maybe my thermostat is sticking
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Randy do you have a IR tremometer? If not I bet Vinny has something to measure the temp at the upper radiator hose, I would compair that reading to the temp gauge to see if it is accuret. Of course while driving down the road it is hard to do, but if you turn on the heat and if the air comming out the vent is too hot to keep your hand in front of then there is a good chance you are running a bit warm.
Old October 10th, 2005, 01:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Randy - I think you're running the same VDo set-up that I am right? (I think I gave you the part numbers or maybe that was Chris Cox...)

Either way, mine does exactly the same thing. First time I drove in the rain with wipers and headlights on, I though I was overheating. For some reason, the guage is very sensitive to electical variations in the system. This is something I've just learned to live with since I'm now very comfortable with the effects of various accessories.

I've pulled some trailers up mountain passes and have run the temps up past 220 when I know I was making serious heat (and the EGT's were north of 850) Everything hung together fine and temps came back undercontrol quickly when the load backed off.

On a side note - I've got almost 20k on the Tdi now and its power and smoothness seem to be still improving.
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:32 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jim, you did give me that info. I still have to do the EGT guage one day. I feel much better after you said that. I was freakin out about it. IT was the first time I was in the rain with all the electrical stuff on. Any Ideas if its fixable? I also was loosing power on the way home and had the gas pinned at some points. when I got home I looked at the limit screw on the peddle and it loosened up. I was only getting 1/2 throttle out of the truck..lol I was kickin myself. It must have been like this for a while too. I readjusted it and wow.. Tons of pep now..lol its runnin like a raped ape..
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

FWIW, I went round and round with a temp gauge problem on a NAS110...I found that the factory battery cut off switch (on the ground side) had enough resistance across it to cause the gauge to read screwy even though the rest of the truch was fine. Also, ground placement on these trucks is wierd...the d110 that I just had LineX'd has the main body ground sandwiched between the seatbox and the frame and held down by one of the seatbox bolts...and it was rusty and nasty. Bad grounds will do lots of fun things...electricity will find a ground, even if it's through another circuit. I had a ground problem on another 110 that would cause the windshield wipers to go every time you keyed the CB mike. Don't be afraid to add a few new grounds if you think it will help.
Rob
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:44 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rob, so u think I should run a separate ground and that might help?
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Easy fix. First off, 195 is the recommended operating temp. If the engine, and the gauge, and the cooling system is working properly, no matter how hard you push that engine it will never go over 205. I don't care what you do to it. As to the fix, first make sure that the wiring strait off the sender is very well connected and insulated. Then go to your battery box and hook up a nice large guage wire straight from teh negative on the battery to the body. I hooked mine up all in the battery box. Shoule take you all of 5 minutes. Then open up your dash and run your guage grounds all to a mounting point on the body. Anywhere back there is good as long as it is a solid ground. And your done! Now, you owe me $20 for this information. I take cash or Paypal. Thanks

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Rob, so u think I should run a separate ground and that might help?
Randy as a tes get the gauge working funky with the headlights, then run a ground right from the gauge to the battery to see if the problem goes away.
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thats a good Idea.. Oh and David, what about that fuel guage? Remember I will bail U out of jail next time..
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The gauge is free, but now you owe me $20 for my perfect advise. PM me your address and send me a hole cover thingy

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
YOu got it.. lol

Follow-up Post:

Just ordered the blanking plug for you David... And sent you an email.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions