temp goes up with sustained high speed - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2013, 01:47 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTRPh View Post
Yep, top hose was soft every time I pulled over & the overflow cap came off easy(I gently release it just in case it sprayed everywhere, I'm not fond of getting hot coolant all over me anymore). But by time I'd pulled over, temp gauge was back in the middle.
Assuming I'm gomnna replace thermostat & cap, whats best temp & brands for t-stat & overflow cap? I'm used to radiator cap being on the radiator. Gonna drain some coolant out for t-stat, do I fill it back up thru that screwdriver/nut on top of radiator on passenger side?
Don't make any changes until you've sorted out the pressure ... likely it's just a faulty cap!

If the truck normally holds temp then the thermostat is absolutely fine.

Make sure you have all the air burped out of the system can be a bit tricky ... but just start with a cap.

As my medical friends say ... IF you hear hooves drumming ... think horses not Zebras ... the obvious fault here is the pressure and clearly your cap is broken. Fix that and move to the next symptom.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2013, 11:38 AM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Radiator Cap First

For the radiator cap, any brand in particular or is the overflow tank not that picky? 15 lbs? Flip-top or not? On that note, have been needing an IR meter for awhile, any brands in particular there?
Thanx again guys,
Danny
Old December 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Temp Fluctuations Fixed Rather Simply, Thanx!!!

Went down the list of recs:
Top hose holding pressure & hot to the touch, got an IR reader, thermostat housing reading 180's F. Replaced thermostat with a 195 degree F, temp gauge still fluctuating like before, t-sta housing still in 180's. Ordered a VDO mechanical temp gauge & in the meantime disconnected wire at sending unit, cleaned mild corrosion off, repeated several times & the gauge finally settled down and kept just an RCH to the left of mid-point. Put a couple hundred miles with no more wild fluctuations. Replaced the original electrical sending unit & holding steady right between 190-200 F. Thanx to y'all for your help. Now its on to the next gremlin (headlight switch broke last nite, already have one on order & checking to see if relay was put in by PO)
Thanx again,
Danny

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions