Temp gauge wiring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM
1990 110
Temp gauge wiring

My temperature gauge is not working. Wiring is not my forte to say the least, so with that said...

1) Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting
2) Where does the gauge wiring connect to sense the tempature? I'm guessing somewhere in a coolant line perhaps? (Again...clueless)

The engine is a stock 1984 3.5L V-8. Any help would be great!

Old October 7th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Michael White
110 Tdi
Pull down the service manual(s) for your truck (Google something like "defender workshop manual"). They are free and you should have it if you're going to own something that old.

I'm assuming your gauge is not working, and that you've confirmed your engine is actually heating up (i.e. thermostat is OK).

Locate the temperature sending unit. Open the dash so you can get to the temperature gauge wiring. You should be able to figure out what's wrong in just a few steps:

1) Pull the wire off the sending unit and pull the corresponding wire off the gauge. Measure the resistance. If the circuit is open, you have a bad wire.

2) With the sending unit wire still disconnected, run a wire from the gauge where the sending unit wire was attached to ground. Very briefly turn on the ignition and turn it off. If the gauge moved (likely pegged), then your gauge is probably OK.

3) Put everything back together, cleaning all connections and making sure all connections are good. See if your gauge works now. If so, probably a loose connector - replace/fix the connectors on the end of the wire.

4) If the above doesn't isolate problem, replace the sending unit.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag and start slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions