Temp gauge issue - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 4th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The VDO gauge is used by many people here. Its accurate, reliable and is similar looking to other gauges.
Agree with you 100% on that. Getting rid of the stock unit is a good thing to do, especially if it's still got the signal conditioner in it. As I said, that and the oil lines are imperative to change out.

Old October 5th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Boris Kogan
1993/Defender 110
Quick update. Had the vdo unit installed and it looks way better. Thank you all for your help and input
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444074980281.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	131601

Old October 5th, 2015, 03:01 PM
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000
Help spread VDO!
Old October 5th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
I am also having gauge issues. My gauge stopped working all together. Tried cleaning the connector at the sender with no improvement. The sender is original so I'm hoping that the culprit but is there a way to check the sender with a voltmeter? Isn't it just grounding source? If I ran jumper wire from the connector on the wire to the intake manifold or something wouldn't the gauge read full hot and I'd know it's the sender?
Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...
Old October 5th, 2015, 03:52 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Great move. I have a stack of the original gauges if you bump your head and want to go back to having a stupid gauge that does not work right.
*not legal advice*
Old October 5th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Robert Davis
Originally Posted by bababoris View Post
So I got my truck back. Guys at Huntington service in So Pasadena were great. They replaced the gage and sending unit but could not find a gage that looked close enough to the original. Attaching a pic of the new gage. They said something about the older gages not being able to work with sending units wherr they had to account for higher Temps that defender run. Or something like it. I kept the original gage. Any chance the original gage can be repaired? And should I call around defender parts stores to see if I can find an original working gage and sending unit?

Attachment 128792
Any 12V gauge will work as long as the sender is actually matched to the gauge and the unit is wired properly.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions