Tell me why I should/should not buy a D90 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Did I miss something? I'm assuming the load carrying verses wheelbase is in response to the comment that a Defender has more load space (not to mention capactity) verses a Wrangler. I don't think Wheelbase plays a signifigant role here though, since the Defender actually has a shorter wheelbase than the Wrangler does (92.9" verses the Wrangler's 93.4").
Point I was trying to make was that you don't buy a 90 or wrangler to carry a significant amount of load. There is is indeed less useable space in the Wrangler for sure. But the 90 doesn't have very much more to make it a sticking point.

I have a very healthy respect for the Jeep but have chosen the Rover. But I personally believe that the rover and jeep are on par with most things - serviceability, leaks, and most important performance.

I guess value is determined by the buyer. I can get a dime a dozen rust free jeep, throw sixties, an atlas, NV/NP 1 ton transmission under it, lock and lift it and I could follow any rover anywhere. And still most likely have some cash left over for a crate SBC 8. And have just as capable truck as a D-90, but less prone to durability issues. The rover drivetrain is still based on a light 1/2-3/4 ton paradigm...

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Point I was trying to make was that you don't buy a 90 or wrangler to carry a significant amount of load. There is is indeed less useable space in the Wrangler for sure. But the 90 doesn't have very much more to make it a sticking point.

I have a very healthy respect for the Jeep but have chosen the Rover. But I personally believe that the rover and jeep are on par with most things - serviceability, leaks, and most important performance.

I guess value is determined by the buyer. I can get a dime a dozen rust free jeep, throw sixties, an atlas, NV/NP 1 ton transmission under it, lock and lift it and I could follow any rover anywhere. And still most likely have some cash left over for a crate SBC 8. And have just as capable truck as a D-90, but less prone to durability issues. The rover drivetrain is still based on a light 1/2-3/4 ton paradigm...

EwS

I got the point I just thought I would offer another point of view, which the previous posters have done very well.

Like I said it's been a while since I have looked at a Jeep, did they ever solve that problem with the slip yoke that falls out of the back of the transfer case? Why is it that Defenders are in use world wide in remote and harsh environments? Seems like they are more popular than Jeeps for this use.

I'll just try to make my point a little more clear........I'd rather have a sister working in a whorehouse than a brother driving a Jeep.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:00 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Like I said it's been a while since I have looked at a Jeep, did they ever solve that problem with the slip yoke that falls out of the back of the transfer case? Why is it that Defenders are in use world wide in remote and harsh environments?
Yup. 10yrs ago with the TJ. Really, I thought Toyota had taken over? When I was in Oz I think I saw barely a handful of land rovers but TONS of land cruisers. I was in east africa visiting many years ago - again, a hand ful of landrovers (although all the tow trucks were series) and lots of 'cruisers, mitsubishis, nissans etc. etc. Any land rovers were typically really old. So that arguement has lots of nostalgia, bit is out dated now.

I sold my TJ and bought a D90. Sure, I had to lift my Jeep to get 33" tires under it (I lifted my D too for 33" tires). Other than some armour and a winch that was all I did to my TJ and I walked all over the place with it with open diffs. The 4.0 motor was superb. After swapping trucks, I had to get used to getting wet, cold etc. TJ sealed very nicely and I never got wet or froze. The motor on the jeep seemed better... I remember having trouble with the v8 on the trail till I learned some stuff. Landie I now have a concern for corrosion and run here in the north east. With the TJ I would have much fewer worries - frame is treated. Oh, and its not C channel any more either. The TJ is a completely different animal from the older YJ and definitely the CJs.

I agree - if you want a defender, get one. If you are asking whether to get a d90 vs. a wranger, get the wrangler. IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2006, 09:08 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
Yup. 10yrs ago with the TJ. Really, I thought Toyota had taken over? When I was in Oz I think I saw barely a handful of land rovers but TONS of land cruisers. I was in east africa visiting many years ago - again, a hand ful of landrovers (although all the tow trucks were series) and lots of 'cruisers, mitsubishis, nissans etc. etc. Any land rovers were typically really old. So that arguement has lots of nostalgia, bit is out dated now.

I sold my TJ and bought a D90. Sure, I had to lift my Jeep to get 33" tires under it (I lifted my D too for 33" tires). Other than some armour and a winch that was all I did to my TJ and I walked all over the place with it with open diffs. The 4.0 motor was superb. After swapping trucks, I had to get used to getting wet, cold etc. TJ sealed very nicely and I never got wet or froze. The motor on the jeep seemed better... I remember having trouble with the v8 on the trail till I learned some stuff. Landie I now have a concern for corrosion and run here in the north east. With the TJ I would have much fewer worries - frame is treated. Oh, and its not C channel any more either. The TJ is a completely different animal from the older YJ and definitely the CJs.

I agree - if you want a defender, get one. If you are asking whether to get a d90 vs. a wranger, get the wrangler. IMHO.
I'm getting that feeling i've had a yj with 35x15's i broke a lot of parts before finaly settling down by putting a currie 9 inch under the rear and a dana 44 under the front... of course the transfercase needed to be massaged... and then there was the 4 transmissions in 3 years(should have gone with the nv4500 conversion in the first place)... of course my dad bro and I built up a 72 fj40, and man is that thing mean, i wish it was streetable, if it was i'd be trying to figure out how to con it out from underneath them!

http://home.comcast.net/~tkavan01/FJ40new.jpg

I'm definetly sold on a defender 90 the more i think about it, i like the look, the uniqueness, i can deal with the problems eventually... now i just need to inherit 35k so i can do a nice build up!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

"Yup. 10yrs ago with the TJ. Really, I thought Toyota had taken over? When I was in Oz I think I saw barely a handful of land rovers but TONS of land cruisers. I was in east africa visiting many years ago - again, a hand ful of landrovers (although all the tow trucks were series) and lots of 'cruisers, mitsubishis, nissans etc. etc. Any land rovers were typically really old. So that arguement has lots of nostalgia, bit is out dated now. "

That's one reason I said earlier that if I couldn't wheel a Rover I'd buy Toyota. They for sure seem to be replacing LR. But Jeep doesn't seem to be there at all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90