Tell Me About My Alternator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 28th, 2016, 05:37 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Tell Me About My Alternator

New to me, trying to get set up completed. Which wire goes where? And do I hook tach to...?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-183091366.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	150427

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2016, 05:40 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Tach usually goes on W terminal...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:30 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Thanks. Now I need to know about the other one. Am I right that it goes to the starter solenoid? But which post there?

...I'm finding that looking at diagrams might tell me a lot, but I'm never sure what is happening till I see it or have it in my hands in real life.

1965 IIa SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2016, 01:38 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Main charge lead is the big wire, one small post to the dash charge indicator (d+) and other is to tach (w) if used.
Old May 29th, 2016, 01:41 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Large ass lug (B+) goes to the starter solenoid, on the same terminal as the line going to the battery. You are essentially hitching a ride for voltage to make its way to the battery. W is the tach, should be a white with grey stripe wire. D+ goes to the charging warning lamp, should be a brown and yellow stripe wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:08 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Thanks. Sooo.... what if my colors don't match? I mean, tracing these two wires is going to be difficult when I don't have colors to narrow it down. I had no tach to begin with.

1965 IIa SWB
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:21 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Thanks. Sooo.... what if my colors don't match? I mean, tracing these two wires is going to be difficult when I don't have colors to narrow it down. I had no tach to begin with.
There are only 3 wires for the alt... (That I have seen anyway on a defender, one for tach, one for warning light)

Big one is charge...
If no tach, switch the small ones
Your not going to hurt anything

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:31 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I believe this is the harness that includes the brown and yellow wire to the dummy light.

I'm curious about the fat brown wires on this one. The one end went to the alternator, is this also the harness that lopped through the starter solenoid?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3103574731.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	150531

On another note: I'm having trouble because although I have the ignition set up so that it starts the car with the key, I have a charge, I have no power to any instruments, lights, etc... Makes it hard to run basic tests to confirm what wire is what! I can't figure out why I'm not getting power to accessories, since power is at the ignition switch, and it is wired same as it was previously.

Thanks for help. Just so you know, one of the problems I'm having is that I was thinking I was going to be using a totally different harness anyway, so I didn't take as many photos as I should have to go putting this back together!

1965 IIa SWB
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:29 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I believe this is the harness that includes the brown and yellow wire to the dummy light.

I'm curious about the fat brown wires on this one. The one end went to the alternator, is this also the harness that lopped through the starter solenoid?
YES on the brown to the starter motor (not the solenoid) for power to the internal systems - double it up from the alternator to the starter as it looks like you went to a 100amp alternator

Quote:
On another note: I'm having trouble because although I have the ignition set up so that it starts the car with the key, I have a charge, I have no power to any instruments, lights, etc... Makes it hard to run basic tests to confirm what wire is what! I can't figure out why I'm not getting power to accessories, since power is at the ignition switch, and it is wired same as it was previously.
You may be missing a ground connection on your main
Old May 30th, 2016, 03:24 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
OK. Clears that up, thanks.

Question: I already have a new cable going from bat to starter to alt. This is independent of anything else. I am starting and running the truck in this way. Wire directly to fuel. Wire directly to starter. Turn the key, it fires right up.

Do the cables to starter and alt in this harness need to be attached to make Lucas happy?

I'm asking because although I'm new at this, I know enough to be baffled by the fact that something should be getting power when I have the key turned. I'm not even getting a low voltage light. And the rear lights, which were never disconnected, are getting no power.

I have my grounds wired directly to the battery via some temporary cables.

1965 IIa SWB
Old May 30th, 2016, 06:08 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Bump for last question.

1965 IIa SWB
Old June 3rd, 2016, 04:04 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
email me and I can walk you through it, or drag the truck up to the NWOR and we can do it together.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions