Defender Source Forum banner

Tell Me About My Alternator

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mybluett 
#1 ·
New to me, trying to get set up completed. Which wire goes where? And do I hook tach to...?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. Now I need to know about the other one. Am I right that it goes to the starter solenoid? But which post there?

...I'm finding that looking at diagrams might tell me a lot, but I'm never sure what is happening till I see it or have it in my hands in real life.

#5 ·
Large ass lug (B+) goes to the starter solenoid, on the same terminal as the line going to the battery. You are essentially hitching a ride for voltage to make its way to the battery. W is the tach, should be a white with grey stripe wire. D+ goes to the charging warning lamp, should be a brown and yellow stripe wire.

#8 · (Edited)
I believe this is the harness that includes the brown and yellow wire to the dummy light.

I'm curious about the fat brown wires on this one. The one end went to the alternator, is this also the harness that lopped through the starter solenoid?

On another note: I'm having trouble because although I have the ignition set up so that it starts the car with the key, I have a charge, I have no power to any instruments, lights, etc... Makes it hard to run basic tests to confirm what wire is what! I can't figure out why I'm not getting power to accessories, since power is at the ignition switch, and it is wired same as it was previously.

Thanks for help. Just so you know, one of the problems I'm having is that I was thinking I was going to be using a totally different harness anyway, so I didn't take as many photos as I should have to go putting this back together!

#9 · (Edited)
I believe this is the harness that includes the brown and yellow wire to the dummy light.

I'm curious about the fat brown wires on this one. The one end went to the alternator, is this also the harness that lopped through the starter solenoid?
YES on the brown to the starter motor (not the solenoid) for power to the internal systems - double it up from the alternator to the starter as it looks like you went to a 100amp alternator

On another note: I'm having trouble because although I have the ignition set up so that it starts the car with the key, I have a charge, I have no power to any instruments, lights, etc... Makes it hard to run basic tests to confirm what wire is what! I can't figure out why I'm not getting power to accessories, since power is at the ignition switch, and it is wired same as it was previously.
You may be missing a ground connection on your main

#10 ·
OK. Clears that up, thanks.

Question: I already have a new cable going from bat to starter to alt. This is independent of anything else. I am starting and running the truck in this way. Wire directly to fuel. Wire directly to starter. Turn the key, it fires right up.

Do the cables to starter and alt in this harness need to be attached to make Lucas happy?

I'm asking because although I'm new at this, I know enough to be baffled by the fact that something should be getting power when I have the key turned. I'm not even getting a low voltage light. And the rear lights, which were never disconnected, are getting no power.

I have my grounds wired directly to the battery via some temporary cables.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.