TDI timing belt change - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 14th, 2015, 08:46 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

TDI timing belt change

How long of a job is this? I have to do the water pump anyway so figured it's a good time, but I can't have the truck out of service for too long. Engine is a disco 200TDI.

Thx, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Not bad, few hours if you haven't done it before.
Old August 14th, 2015, 09:19 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
How long of a job is this? I have to do the water pump anyway so figured it's a good time, but I can't have the truck out of service for too long. Engine is a disco 200TDI.

Thx, Mike
Mike:
It depends on how deep you delve.
If you're just changing the water pump and belt, about 3-6 hours depending on how fast you are and if things come off easily and you have the timing tools.
About 2-3 hours longer if you remove the whole front cover to change the gasket.
I always run a tap through the threads to clean them out of all the crud that can cause the 8mm bolts to bind and strip the threads.
Any threads in question should be replaced with an insert.

The last thing you want to do is finish this job and have the gasket you didn't change between the front cover and the block start leaking coolant.
Then you start over again.

You can do the 300TDI in less than half the time.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2015, 09:35 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I just ordered a belt kit and a timing tool set. I plan on knocking it out when it all arrives.

I already have the viscous fan and shroud off my truck. I can't imagine anyone doing the front case without taking off the shroud. The VC needs a special wrench to come off.
Old August 14th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
alternator bracket has to come off on a disco engine, of the three : a 300, a defender 200, and a disco 200. the disco 200 is the biggest hassle. I can do one fairly fast just because I have done a bunch. Really depends if the last guy to do the job was intelligent enough to use anti seize on the bolts. If you break them off it can add many hours to the job, heat and Kroil are your friends.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:20 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Thanks guys, I'm going to run down to Trevor's after work to pick up the parts and just trying to decide if I have enough time this weekend to do the job. What timing tools are required? I have a timing light but is there something else? I haven't read up on what's required yet. Glad to hear that my engine is the most difficult one to do this on too, lol..
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:41 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I think the timing tools needed are the 9mm pin, 22mm socket, 30 mm socket, flywheel holding pin and the crank pulley puller. Probably a 32mm Spanner for the viscous coupling
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Be prepared with something serious to remove the crank bolt. Best to read up on the whole thing in advance. Make sure you replace all idlers and seals.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions