Tdi T-Case Clearance Problem.. WTF.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tdi T-Case Clearance Problem.. WTF..

Since I did my Tdi install I have noticed that when on the highway and I hit a huge bump in the road, I feel a thump under my feet. I thought it was the exaust pipe and was too lazy to check it. After the long drive this weekend and it annoying the shit out of me, I decided to have a look and found that the t-case is actually about 1/8 of an inch from the seat box flange. (See Photo) Why is it so close? When I hit a huge bump, the trans/t-case jumps a little at wacks the seat box and make a horrible noise. Any Help??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00230.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	5687   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00231.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	5688  

Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Randy,
What year is your Defender? Is it a converted NAS or built from parts? I did one 300Tdi conversion and the instructions reference having to cut the seat box for clearance on older trucks that did not come factory with the R380 fiberglass tunnel cover.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The seat box is from a Tdi late model truck made for an r-380. I think I have to shim the seat box in the front where it mounts to the frame in the middle. If I recall, the mounts were a bit low on the new frame and I bolted it down all the way and did not space it. I will have to check.
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thats strange, I didnt have this issue at all.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Randy,

You can just trim the seatbox for clearance. I used my old box and tunnel and had to hammer-clear the tunnel. However, make sure there is not something wrong with the t-case mount. You should not be getting a large thud even if they are touching. The t-case should not move hard enough to make you notice. My R380 is actually touching my tunnel cover and I never hear it, even when I jump it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:08 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Could my mounts be bad? THey are not torn or anything.. How close does yours sit Jim?

David, yours touches too? Mine thuds when I am doing 70 and hit a big pot hole or something in the road.

IF I get under the truck, I can move the t=case up and down a little by hand..

My the way, I hit 80mph with my truck coming home from Ma Bell. Jorge was behind me and was bustin' me on the CB. lol
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'll have to go through my photos to see if there is a pic which tells the information. I definitely cant move my t case in any direction by hand at all.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Could my mounts be bad? THey are not torn or anything.. How close does yours sit Jim?

David, yours touches too? Mine thuds when I am doing 70 and hit a big pot hole or something in the road.

IF I get under the truck, I can move the t=case up and down a little by hand..

My the way, I hit 80mph with my truck coming home from Ma Bell. Jorge was behind me and was bustin' me on the CB. lol

Thats impossible! Your a liar. No rover on 35's could ever drive well enough to hit 80!!!!

On your mounts, I can't tell you if they are okay or not. I know that I can't move my t-case with my hand. Mine does touch the body in the tunnel. Actually, to clear the front of the t-case from the back of the seat box I had to move the entire drivetrain back 1.5 inches.

Still, even though it touches, there is no clunk at all. Have you checked to make sure the bolts are all tight?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:24 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

You could have a separated mount that only looks good--if you put some upward force on the t-box with a jack (not too much), I think you would be able to see if they are split--I have not seen this personally, but it seems to make sense that if you can move your tranny, either the bolts to the frame/tranny are loose, or it is a split plate--David already said to check the bolts and that would be my #1 stop. There is not a one of us that could come close to making one of those rubber bushings deflect enough while pushing on the trans to make it hit the tunnel...
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:41 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bolts are Tight. I can slightly wiggle it and if I am under the truck and start rocking it up and down, it move a little. I might order new mounts just to be safe..

By the way, the mounts only have 5k on them but they might have been faulty Actually the drivers side one looks mushed down a little..
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Did you use a Tdi mounts or some sort of conversion with V8 mounts? What about the crossmeber? Tdi or adapted V8?
The Tdi mounts are quite weak, so don't push up on them with a jack much, they will just separate if you do.

BTW... I have a speeding ticket in ECR4 for 83 in a 55 on the way back from Sugarloaf. (ouch).

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Did you use a Tdi mounts or some sort of conversion with V8 mounts? What about the crossmeber? Tdi or adapted V8?
The Tdi mounts are quite weak, so don't push up on them with a jack much, they will just separate if you do.

BTW... I have a speeding ticket in ECR4 for 83 in a 55 on the way back from Sugarloaf. (ouch).
IT has the Tdi mounts and Standard Tdi crossmember. All stock stuff.. The mounts look a little mushy. What do you think Mike? Is the seatbox clearance normal?

83mph.. lol I would have hit that since I still had more pedal. Some guys on the board don't think rovers especially tdi's have any speed.. We prove them wrong
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:48 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

ECR4 on the way back from a VT off road trip did 93mph (via GPS)... Tdi, 4.11s and 35 SSRs.
Yes it took a LONG time to get there and fortunately I didn't see any police that time.

I gotta take a look at one of the trucks here and see what a comparable distance is.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:15 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL.. Thats great I have almost the same setup: Tdi, 4.11s and 35 MTR's. I kind of copyed that truck when I was building mine..lol

Let me know if you can about the clearance. I am curious..
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ok. I just replaced the t-case mounts and it still does the same thing.. errrrrrrr. Still can wiggle it up and down enought on the mount to tap the seat box. I think Im going to shim the seat box up in the center about 1/2 to help with clearance. I will let you guys know..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi