Defender Source Forum banner

Tdi T-Case Clearance Problem.. WTF..

Tags
tdi
1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  TDI Guy 
#1 ·
Since I did my Tdi install I have noticed that when on the highway and I hit a huge bump in the road, I feel a thump under my feet. I thought it was the exaust pipe and was too lazy to check it. After the long drive this weekend and it annoying the **** out of me, I decided to have a look and found that the t-case is actually about 1/8 of an inch from the seat box flange. (See Photo):angry Why is it so close? When I hit a huge bump, the trans/t-case jumps a little at wacks the seat box and make a horrible noise. Any Help??

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The seat box is from a Tdi late model truck made for an r-380. I think I have to shim the seat box in the front where it mounts to the frame in the middle. If I recall, the mounts were a bit low on the new frame and I bolted it down all the way and did not space it. I will have to check.

#5 ·
Hey Randy,

You can just trim the seatbox for clearance. I used my old box and tunnel and had to hammer-clear the tunnel. However, make sure there is not something wrong with the t-case mount. You should not be getting a large thud even if they are touching. The t-case should not move hard enough to make you notice. My R380 is actually touching my tunnel cover and I never hear it, even when I jump it.

#6 ·
Could my mounts be bad? THey are not torn or anything.. How close does yours sit Jim?

David, yours touches too? Mine thuds when I am doing 70 and hit a big pot hole or something in the road.

IF I get under the truck, I can move the t=case up and down a little by hand..

My the way, I hit 80mph with my truck coming home from Ma Bell. Jorge was behind me and was bustin' me on the CB. lol

#8 ·
TDI Guy said:
Could my mounts be bad? THey are not torn or anything.. How close does yours sit Jim?

David, yours touches too? Mine thuds when I am doing 70 and hit a big pot hole or something in the road.

IF I get under the truck, I can move the t=case up and down a little by hand..

My the way, I hit 80mph with my truck coming home from Ma Bell. Jorge was behind me and was bustin' me on the CB. lol

Thats impossible! Your a liar. No rover on 35's could ever drive well enough to hit 80!!!! :)

On your mounts, I can't tell you if they are okay or not. I know that I can't move my t-case with my hand. Mine does touch the body in the tunnel. Actually, to clear the front of the t-case from the back of the seat box I had to move the entire drivetrain back 1.5 inches.

Still, even though it touches, there is no clunk at all. Have you checked to make sure the bolts are all tight?

#9 ·
You could have a separated mount that only looks good--if you put some upward force on the t-box with a jack (not too much), I think you would be able to see if they are split--I have not seen this personally, but it seems to make sense that if you can move your tranny, either the bolts to the frame/tranny are loose, or it is a split plate--David already said to check the bolts and that would be my #1 stop. There is not a one of us that could come close to making one of those rubber bushings deflect enough while pushing on the trans to make it hit the tunnel...

#10 · (Edited)
Bolts are Tight. I can slightly wiggle it and if I am under the truck and start rocking it up and down, it move a little. I might order new mounts just to be safe..

By the way, the mounts only have 5k on them but they might have been faulty :angry Actually the drivers side one looks mushed down a little..

#11 ·
Did you use a Tdi mounts or some sort of conversion with V8 mounts? What about the crossmeber? Tdi or adapted V8?
The Tdi mounts are quite weak, so don't push up on them with a jack much, they will just separate if you do.

BTW... I have a speeding ticket in ECR4 for 83 in a 55 on the way back from Sugarloaf. (ouch).

#12 ·
ECR said:
Did you use a Tdi mounts or some sort of conversion with V8 mounts? What about the crossmeber? Tdi or adapted V8?
The Tdi mounts are quite weak, so don't push up on them with a jack much, they will just separate if you do.

BTW... I have a speeding ticket in ECR4 for 83 in a 55 on the way back from Sugarloaf. (ouch).
IT has the Tdi mounts and Standard Tdi crossmember. All stock stuff.. The mounts look a little mushy. What do you think Mike? Is the seatbox clearance normal?

83mph.. lol I would have hit that since I still had more pedal. Some guys on the board don't think rovers especially tdi's have any speed.. :stick We prove them wrong :)

#13 ·
ECR4 on the way back from a VT off road trip did 93mph (via GPS)... Tdi, 4.11s and 35 SSRs.
Yes it took a LONG time to get there and fortunately I didn't see any police that time. :)

I gotta take a look at one of the trucks here and see what a comparable distance is.

#15 ·
Ok. I just replaced the t-case mounts and it still does the same thing.. errrrrrrr. Still can wiggle it up and down enought on the mount to tap the seat box. I think Im going to shim the seat box up in the center about 1/2 to help with clearance. I will let you guys know..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.