Tdi Smokey on start up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2008, 03:56 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Tdi Smokey on start up

Here's the story - Rebuilding the 110 (pics to follow on the rebuild thread) engine laid up for about a year. It's a 200tdi, changed the oil - flushing oil first as I do every second or third change then the usual 10W40 semi synthetic. It's smokey as a very smokey thing
when cold, clears as the engine warms on a fast tick-over after about 10 minutes idling smoke is blue to blue/ white when revved. There are next to no fumes coming out of the oil filler cap when the engine is running hot or cold.
Any ideas?
Valve stem seals???
Injectors??
Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Here's the story - Rebuilding the 110 (pics to follow on the rebuild thread) engine laid up for about a year. It's a 200tdi, changed the oil - flushing oil first as I do every second or third change then the usual 10W40 semi synthetic. It's smokey as a very smokey thing
when cold, clears as the engine warms on a fast tick-over after about 10 minutes idling smoke is blue to blue/ white when revved. There are next to no fumes coming out of the oil filler cap when the engine is running hot or cold.
Any ideas?
Valve stem seals???
Injectors?? I WOULD CHECK THESE NEXT
Thanks for any help

good luck with it!

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You probably have low compression on a cylinder or two or maybe retarded timing. If you get in and drive, do the smoke clear after the first acceleration?

Do NOT warm the engine on idle, even high idle. Start it and drive it. You need to get the EGTs up so that all cylinders are burning. The EGTs won't come up until the engine sees a little bit of load. If you let them run cold like that, unburnt fuel will get on the rings and carbon them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Well after some conflicting advice - it's the valve stem seals for sure followed by the valve stem seals never give any trouble at a different shop and it's, the injectors or it's the timing and it's because it's sat for so long the only thing I was confident about was that it was the engine that was making the smoke and it wouldn't pass its emissions test like that!
I went for the cheapest option first and gave it a large shot of injector cleaner. It worked the fumes are so clean you could practically breathe them... but not for long. So It's sorted, thanks for your input,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, tdi