tdi smoke - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

tdi smoke

So I have noticed a little more smoke lately. White on startup untill she warms up a bit. That dosn;t worry me but when driving at night the headlights behind me illuminate smoke under load on the freeway... looks light in color but I can't tell.

Also I have noticed a slight blue color to the smoke sometimes ( ) My compression is even, and I don't seem to be burning oil. Timing belt is new, and intercooler is clean.

What should I do? I havn't adjusted the valves in a while so I'll probably do that next.

How much smoke is "norma"l for a tdi?
When adjusting the injector pump do you guys have any hints on how to get it right?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2006, 05:52 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Not sure about the rover tdi's but the ambulances at work will smoke if left to idle for long periods of time. Problem solved if left in high idle. Also either smoke or more than likely condensation when starting from cold when its cold out.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Steve,

You may want to try www.landrovernet.com. A lot more diesel users on that site!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2006, 06:54 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Steve,
I was just going to post the same question...my 300Tdi is rebuilt and I notice a puff on start up and light gray diffuse smoke blast when nailing the accelerator getting up to speed...anyone have some explanation or experience to share?
George
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:48 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
Steve,
I was just going to post the same question...my 300Tdi is rebuilt and I notice a puff on start up and light gray diffuse smoke blast when nailing the accelerator getting up to speed...anyone have some explanation or experience to share?
George
I have had the same on my tdi since new. You could turn don the smoke screw possibly to reduce the smoke on full power if necessary.
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:14 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Guys,

It is totally normal. At startup the fuel pump dumps fuel into the cylinders and you get a big puff of black smoke. On the road, if you don't smoke under full load, you have something wrong.

Believe in the smoke, love the smoke.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:40 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Same symptoms for me but I don't feel this is optimal in a correctly tuned motor. It may be normal but that may be because we're all running them out of tune.

You are supposed to gradually feed a diesel fuel - not dump it by flooring it. I see plenty of big rigs flooring it and all I see is heat, no smoke.

Of course, all that smoke means unburnt fuel and higher EGT's. Not optimal but acceptable within limits.
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I'm not trying to come off as an expert, because I'm not, but last weekend I was speaking with a friend who is very knowledgable about engines, both diesel and gas. He was trying to explain to me why my 300tdi often showed visible smoke while more modern engines do not. It seems we pay a price for the simplicity of this engine. It only burns efficiently within a narrow range of conditions, whereas the newer electronic engines can make broader adjustments in timing, etc. that allow them to burn more efficiently through a broader range of conditions. With that said, he still had a lot of admiration for the little 300tdi.
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Same symptoms for me but I don't feel this is optimal in a correctly tuned motor. It may be normal but that may be because we're all running them out of tune.

You are supposed to gradually feed a diesel fuel - not dump it by flooring it. I see plenty of big rigs flooring it and all I see is heat, no smoke.

Of course, all that smoke means unburnt fuel and higher EGT's. Not optimal but acceptable within limits.
Let us all know when you get that optimal tuning figured out.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:40 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i dont know once the worn out perkins on our worn JCB backhoe gets warmed up if you give it gas it doesnt smoke. starting and warm up stage is a different story
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:53 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Were not talking about billowing black smoke. Were talking about light smoke that the headlights behind a vehicle will illuminate. If it does not smoke under full throttle you don't have enough fuel and you are losing power. Under normal light throttle, there should not be smoke.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:06 AM
D90user
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s

Believe in the smoke, love the smoke.
lol

I'm tending to agree with you on this Buck. I have been reading the UK forums and the visable at night through headlights seems to be a common statement.

Billowing smoke is not good, but that light grey under load seems to be normal.

Although I would like to get it as efficent as possible...any ideas on better tuning??
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:36 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

While a mechanical pump affords less tuning (across the entire range) than electronic, it should still be possible to find the settings for no smoke at full throttle. Again, plenty of non-electronic trucks run without smoke. Yes, I know we're taliing about light smoke and, yes, light throttle reduces it to none - that's what I meant by feeding the fuel.

There's a tuning thread already here. I've done it on a stock Tdi and am looking forward to redoing it when the new IC goes in next year.

I for one have found a way to get less smoke: I've been running with a cut exhaust only three feet past the downpipe and have seen no smoke out the rear!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
While a mechanical pump affords less tuning (across the entire range) than electronic, it should still be possible to find the settings for no smoke at full throttle. Again, plenty of non-electronic trucks run without smoke. Yes, I know we're taliing about light smoke and, yes, light throttle reduces it to none - that's what I meant by feeding the fuel.

There's a tuning thread already here. I've done it on a stock Tdi and am looking forward to redoing it when the new IC goes in next year.

I for one have found a way to get less smoke: I've been running with a cut exhaust only three feet past the downpipe and have seen no smoke out the rear!
I've got a fair amount of experience with Mercedes diesels, both NA and TD in my G series. I agree - light smoke at full load is fairly normal. I also agree that dialing down the screw will at some point alleviate the problem, though you'll be causing a different issue by underfueling. You'll notice the power loss. Personally, I live with the smoking but since I live in the mountains and can't sacrifice the torque, I pretty much have to.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
5% smoke at the last MOT, the man wasn't impressed
Had to turn the fuel down and re-present - no power. so it stayed that way for about a mile
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I also do have smoke since truck is new (300Tdi without ECR).
I think part of smoke is also due to engine oil vapors going
in the air intake (pipe goes from engine top to air intake
system beetween filter and turbo), i'm planning to add
a decanter...so i can keep intercooler clean longer.
Old December 4th, 2006, 01:13 AM
D90user
steve

Julien,
I'd be interested in what you make up. Last time I cleaned my intercooler it was really gunked up. I remember you brought this up a while back and it seemed like a good idea.

let us know what you set up.
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Jullen,
yes, please post how to do that add on
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I hate bumming everybody out but I can guarantee that this mod will not take away any smoke. It may help to keep oil residue out of the intercooler, but thats it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:33 PM
D90user
steve

As long as the smoke is normal it is fine with me, although I think I'll play with the injector pump to try to get it better.
I would like to keep oil out of the intercooler. Cleaning that thing is a PITA.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi