Tdi radiator options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2006, 01:29 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Tdi radiator options

Got a small leak on the bottom left of the 110's radiator (300Tdi) and may need a replacement.

1. Can anyone recommend a good shop in NE for a recore?

2. Is it worth upgrading the capacity?

Follow-up Post:

Also, can you remove it without removing the fan? Looks like I can undo the shroud and push it back enough to lift the rad assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hi Art,

Yes, you can remove it wthout removing the fan. I have mentioned it before, but I really think the best deal out there is to take the radiator to NAPA and they will make you a replacement to your spects, 4 core, or whatever. Should be around $400.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Dave,

By replacement do you mean they don't use any part of mine? If so, then that's not a bad deal - I can have the oil cooler fittings changed to something standard and get a real plug fitted.

As for an upgrade over the current design, I don't think there's enough capacity to do a 4-core as this isn't V8 size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2006, 11:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yes,

The radiator is completely new. They pretty much do whatever you tell them, so you could completely eliminate the oil cooler if you wish.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Art,
On the 300Tdi conversion that I did I took the original radiator to my local Radiator shop and had them recore it. They special ordered an industrial core with 3/4" tubes. It is very beefy and has no problems keeping the motor cool.
Rob
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Rob,

What type of core? 3 or 4 row? What is stock?

Dave,

I wouldn't mind moving to a front mounted oil cooler but I don't think there's room up front. with the AC. Does NAPA do lifetime warranty on a radiator?
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Rob,

What type of core? 3 or 4 row? What is stock?

Dave,

I wouldn't mind moving to a front mounted oil cooler but I don't think there's room up front. with the AC. Does NAPA do lifetime warranty on a radiator?
I have no idea. Sorry.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radiator, tdi