TDI Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2004, 06:41 PM
craines51
christopher/raines
'97 NAS 90

TDI Question

which company offers TDI conversions for D90?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:57 PM
MDS
Marc Stegman
95 d90 300Tdi

Try............the 4x4 Center http://www.the4x4center.com/nss-fold...ent/Index.html

or East Coast Rovers http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Tdiconversions.html
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:32 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

www.bwoverland.com too. Although it's a bit of a haul for you... A few guys have spoken pretty well of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I recommend Britannica Restorations: http://www.britrest.com
Old September 13th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey I moved to looking for help, as no one is selling anything. Don't know how I missed it the first time.
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm doing a DIY conversion right now and I'm in SC. Lemme know if you want info.
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Where did Dave M go? WHo did his conversion??
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:26 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Where did Dave M go? WHo did his conversion??
www.bwoverland.com did his conversion, which Dave is a part of.

DJ
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:41 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
www.bwoverland.com did his conversion, which Dave is a part of.

DJ

BWoverland did mine and did a very nice job of it. Especially given nobody else had done a 2.8 tdi conversion with an automatic trans in a NAS d90, in the US. Unless Pendy has been stealthy. However I am only a "friend" of the company, and do not have a vested interest. Just to be straight. So I'm still slightly impartial, but really just a big friend of theirs and as you might imagine, a big supporter from a customer standpoint.

A couple things I would say off the bat. MAKE SURE a diesel in your defender is what you want. They WILL NOT drive like any other diesel you've ever driven. Unless maybe you've had experience driving a diesel landcruiser. I cannot stree this enough. It may be "cool" or whatever. But you want to make sure that you can go down that road of $$, and enjoy it for a long, long time after. I'm not talking about performance, I'm talking about all around driving. As far as performance. This past weekend I was extremely close, within a foot or so, of taking my frind in his DII with 4.0 from a standing start. Not bad, and I've only messed with the smoke screw. Haven't even touched the rest of the mods I can quickly do with a screw driver yet.

Second, the companies listed can only do the labor work for you. Recent crackdowns on certain companies importing and selling and installing diesels makes it an affair that gets you much more involved in the process. Which is a good thing anyway. Note the reason ECR no longer sells tdi's.

Third, a number of UK companies sell "kit"s that come with things like specific motor mounts for your NAS V8 chassis. And all the parts with instruction you need. But it's still no small job. Just cuts down on some shop time.

Fourth.....................

Just do it.

Seriously, if you have other questions. Feel free to PM me.
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:58 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I think Rovers Down South does this also... they certainly sell diesels, but not the 2.8. George says he's not satisfied that there is enough support in the US for the 2.8 engine yet (parts/problems/etc). He does TD5s and 300TDis.

I've thought about doing this to my D90 sometime in the future (a couple of years) & at this point I'd do the TD5, though the 2.8 might be more 'established' here in the US by then.

RDS is in Louisiana, BTW, if geography helps.

@David,
Just curious - how do you mean it drives completely different? I've driven a 2.5L NA D90 and a couple of V8s, and I can only say that the 2.5L was noticeably slower....but the general characteristics were not so different. With a diesel you don't get that tire-spinning power, but then with the 3.9L I'm not spinning too much these days anyway
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:22 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Mostly it's slight turbo lag and the louder pitch of the engine at highway speed.

When I say turbo lag, I'm speaking of the tire "spinning" capability. I'm sure it's a bit quicker in a R380, and it's hardly anything to complain of. But it has taken me a bit of learning to work it offroad (on rock obstacles and mud holes), getting the revs high enough before hitting a tough obstacle, with little to no runway.

Quote:
George says he's not satisfied that there is enough support in the US for the 2.8 engine yet (parts/problems/etc). He does TD5s and 300TDis.
Ha ha, that's crazy George for you. Nobody has TD5's except him. And he's worried about parts support for the 2.8....

It's largely similar to the 300. Fuel filters, oil filters, belts, etc., all the same. I picked up my service parts from him. Even takes the 300tdi AC compressor as a direct bolt on. Good thing too is, any powerstroke service agent (not Ford dealer) can get any other parts you need. And probably do any work you might need. I'll let you know when I get there...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi