TDI owners.. Show me your Boost and EGT guages - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:02 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Interested in mounting locations and what gauges you chose etc.

Pictures please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:53 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

I chose to use the MudUK center panel to house my 8 day mechanical aircraft clock (top left), Carling ARB front/rear locker and compressor switches (upper right), aux fuel tank quantity (center left), horn/wind screen defrost/head lights and fogs (3 position)/aux lights (3 position)/rear fog/rear washer wiper/interior lights Carling Switches (center row), oil pressure, voltage, boost (bottom row).

I also have a tach, water temp, and main fuel tank quantity gage in the main binnacle next to the new speedo. I used all VDO Vision gages.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:57 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
I chose to use the MudUK center panel to house my 8 day mechanical aircraft clock (top left), Carling ARB front/rear locker and compressor switches (upper right), aux fuel tank quantity (center left), horn/wind screen defrost/head lights and fogs (3 position)/aux lights (3 position)/rear fog/rear washer wiper/interior lights Carling Switches (center row), oil pressure, voltage, boost (bottom row). I also have a tach, water temp, and main fuel tank quantity gage in the main binnacle next to the new speedo. I used all VDO Vision gages.
Sweet set up. Appreciate the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Good idea for a thread. I'm struggling with this very thing right now.
Would have just done the MudUK console, but already invested time any money in a Pioneer single DIN head unit that flips up so I didn't need the MudUK unit.

I want my EGT gauge in very plain view, or if not in plain view at least an audible alarm& idiot light when EGT gets close to the upper limit.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:15 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Good idea for a thread. I want my EGT gauge in very plain view, or if not in plain view at least an audible alarm& idiot light when EGT gets close to the upper limit.
I've seen a couple cool set ups on Jetta tdis I like. One was an A-Pillar double/triple pod and the other mounted on the top of the steering column.

My opinion is you want that EGT and Boost gauges in as plain view as anything else. Uber important to monitor.

You seen an A-Pillar mount for the defenders?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1386762813.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	96229  
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:41 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31232

Some options discussed here

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2014 06:45 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
I chose to use the MudUK center panel to house my 8 day mechanical aircraft clock (top left), Carling ARB front/rear locker and compressor switches (upper right), aux fuel tank quantity (center left), horn/wind screen defrost/head lights and fogs (3 position)/aux lights (3 position)/rear fog/rear washer wiper/interior lights Carling Switches (center row), oil pressure, voltage, boost (bottom row). I also have a tach, water temp, and main fuel tank quantity gage in the main binnacle next to the new speedo. I used all VDO Vision gages.
Slick setup, love the clock... Lots of buttons for people to flip when they hop in
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:51 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I have the Auber Instruments ones. You need one unit per function, so two cutouts. I have a pic of the panel I made deep in my build thread someplace, but I might be able to give you an updated pic of the devices this weekend. Granted they're in a metal dash truck, but it might give you an idea.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
I've seen a couple cool set ups on Jetta tdis I like. One was an A-Pillar double/triple pod and the other mounted on the top of the steering column.

My opinion is you want that EGT and Boost gauges in as plain view as anything else. Uber important to monitor.

You seen an A-Pillar mount for the defenders?
IMO boost is pretty much useless on a rover diesel other than to advise a clueless driver what he can't tell by seat of the pants, or ears. Ie you have a boost leak or the turbo is dying. On the setup we did in a dash top mud pod for Raub a couple weeks ago, Egt closest to driver, tach, then boost to the right.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I just ordered VDO "vision black" from e-gauges:
http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetail...ctCode=310-153

I still may convert to a MUD-UK center console and relocat the volt meter and fuel gauge over there and put the EGT and Boost gauges right in the binical pod cluster, but for now, I'm going to get both a single and double aluminum mounting bracket for 2-1/16" VDO gauges and see where it makes sense to mount them for now until I have the time and desire to install the MUD-UK center console.

I'd still like to use the VDO vision black series, but also want to see if I could run a warning light/audible alarm for EGT. Does anyone have any suggestions for JUST an alarm? I don't want one of those digital gauges w/built in alarm and just want to use the VDO gauge, but some type of alarm that could piggy-back off of the existing EGT probe or VDO gauge would be good. I may reach out to my boating buddies for advise on this.

I'd love a small red LED that is barely visible until illuminated. Maybe sticking through a 1/16" hole in the gauge cluster next to the speedo. I hate the idea of lights and gauges everywhere but know it's necessary to keep a close watch on EGTs. Just don't want the "ricer look" with gauges running up the A-pillar.
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:49 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
I just ordered VDO "vision black" from e-gauges: http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetail...ctCode=310-153 Does anyone have any suggestions for JUST an alarm? I don't want one of those digital gauges w/built in alarm and just want to use the VDO gauge, but some type of alarm that could piggy-back off of the existing EGT probe or VDO gauge would be good. I may reach out to my boating buddies for advise on this. I'd love a small red LED that is barely visible until illuminated.
You may want to buy the digital unit ($80) and wire up an alarm from it anyway. I can't imagine that a 'light only' or 'audible only' would be any cheaper and certainly wouldn't be as versatile. Just mount it in the engine bay wrapped in electrical tape or something if you don't want to see it and wire the 'indicator' function to a small led/audible alarm in the cabin.
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
You may want to buy the digital unit ($80) and wire up an alarm from it anyway. I can't imagine that a 'light only' or 'audible only' would be any cheaper and certainly wouldn't be as versatile. Just mount it in the engine bay wrapped in electrical tape or something if you don't want to see it and wire the 'indicator' function to a small led/audible alarm in the cabin.
yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing (in addition to the VDO gauge), although some of those slick setups in that other gauge thread make me rethink my entire plan.
Madman digital gauge and multiple readings in one gauge would mean no auxiliary mounting brackets!
I've got to remember to pull in the reigns sometimes when it comes to having "the best" or "perfect" setup. I'm not trying to create an aviation cockpit. In fact, one of the reason Defenders are dear to me is their simplicity.
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
IMO boost is pretty much useless on a rover diesel other than to advise a clueless driver what he can't tell by seat of the pants, or ears. Ie you have a boost leak or the turbo is dying. On the setup we did in a dash top mud pod for Raub a couple weeks ago, Egt closest to driver, tach, then boost to the right.
The boost gauge, beside being fun to look at, is pretty nice to have to determine leaks in the intercooler or other issues related to loss of power. I've put one in every tdi I've ever owned to rule out boost pressure as an issue before I troubleshoot.

I can't tell you how many times I determined I had a leak on my vw tdi (295000 miles) thanks to the boost gauge
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:07 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
The boost gauge, beside being fun to look at, is pretty nice to have to determine leaks in the intercooler or other issues related to loss of power. I've put one in every tdi I've ever owned to rule out boost pressure as an issue before I troubleshoot. I can't tell you how many times I determined I had a leak on my vw tdi (295000 miles) thanks to the boost gauge
Exactly why I love that gauge.
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:21 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
. I'm not trying to create an aviation cockpit. In fact, one of the reason Defenders are dear to me is their simplicity.
Maybe you should rethink that aviation bit...

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/aircraf...gl-e1-ems.html

WHAMMY

or the 2 1/4

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/mgl-e3-ems.html
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I just ordered VDO "vision black" from e-gauges:
http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetail...ctCode=310-153

I still may convert to a MUD-UK center console and relocat the volt meter and fuel gauge over there and put the EGT and Boost gauges right in the binical pod cluster, but for now, I'm going to get both a single and double aluminum mounting bracket for 2-1/16" VDO gauges and see where it makes sense to mount them for now until I have the time and desire to install the MUD-UK center console.

I'd still like to use the VDO vision black series, but also want to see if I could run a warning light/audible alarm for EGT. Does anyone have any suggestions for JUST an alarm? I don't want one of those digital gauges w/built in alarm and just want to use the VDO gauge, but some type of alarm that could piggy-back off of the existing EGT probe or VDO gauge would be good. I may reach out to my boating buddies for advise on this.

I'd love a small red LED that is barely visible until illuminated. Maybe sticking through a 1/16" hole in the gauge cluster next to the speedo. I hate the idea of lights and gauges everywhere but know it's necessary to keep a close watch on EGTs. Just don't want the "ricer look" with gauges running up the A-pillar.
Are you planning on turning up your fueling ? With stock tune it's hard to get to 900 degrees (ie impossible to hurt anything) in fifth gear, wide open, going up a mountain (ie max fuel,max load,prolonged period of time). Egt's in excess of 1250 are where you would want an alarm. Good call on the analog vdo vision's, those are the only ones I have ever installed. I like to mount the egt where its the easiest gauge to read. Putting it in a pod on the dash closest to the driver makes it so you don't take your eyes off the road or trail.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 4th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
damn! if that fit in a 2" bezel we'd be talking something there.

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2014 11:34 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Are you planning on turning up your fueling ? With stock tune it's hard to get to 900 degrees in fifth gear, wide open, going up a mountain (ie max fuel,max load,prolonged period of time). Egt's in excess of 1250 are where you would want an alarm. Good call on the analog vdo vision's, those are the only ones I have ever installed. I like to mount the egt where its the easiest gauge to read. Putting it in a pod on the dash closest to the driver makes it so you don't take your eyes off the road or trail.
Well, yes. Installing a full-length Alisport I/C in a few weeks. I want to install boost and EGT first as a "baseline" and while the bling-bling I/C is great, the I/C alone isn't what's going to get you the "bang for your buck", correct?
I will probably mildly tune the fueling. Not looking to get out on the margins, but maybe just keeping the EGTs below 1000. I'm not doing any towing (other than local stuff).
I've heard that 1250 is THE limit, so I'd want to know well before that, or even keep the tuning to such a limit that that number can't be achieved.
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
For EGT, I believe a digital one with max memory and hooked to an audible alarm is the best way to go. You should not need to be constantly staring at a gauge. If it buzzes back off the throttle. Check for max readings later on.

The Auberins ones are a great buy: https://www.auberins.com/

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I've heard that 1250 is THE limit, so I'd want to know well before that, or even keep the tuning to such a limit that that number can't be achieved.
It is not a fixed limit. You could run 1250 continuous without fear. Stick in a meter with a buzzer at 1250 or 1300 and when it goes off, lift back a tiny bit on the throttle.

With a TDI not having intake air compensations, you will always get a slow EGT increase over many minutes when running at full throttle continuously as the intake air temperature builds. It also varies a lot depending on how much air is flowing through the intercooler. A slight change in wind makes a big difference.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 4th, 2014, 12:17 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
interesting, looks like this little beauty is just hitting the market...

http://www.usa.vdo.com/generator/www...entrobase.html

Might eliminate the need for several of the gauges in your truck and consolidate them into one...
Old June 4th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
damn! if that fit in a 2" bezel we'd be talking something there.

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2014 11:34 AM ------

Well, yes. Installing a full-length Alisport I/C in a few weeks. I want to install boost and EGT first as a "baseline" and while the bling-bling I/C is great, the I/C alone isn't what's going to get you the "bang for your buck", correct?
I will probably mildly tune the fueling. Not looking to get out on the margins, but maybe just keeping the EGTs below 1000. I'm not doing any towing (other than local stuff).
Correct, a larger intercooler has no noticeable effect @ stock fueling. You definitely need egt before touching fueling. Boost will advise if you have any leaks and if your turbo is making the boost that it's supposed to.
John is right the buzzer would be great. On my boat I used alarms on everything so regardless of where you were you immediately knew there was an issue.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions