TDI owners.. Show me your Boost and EGT guages - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:22 AM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
John, that does look really cool. Could you post a pic of the whole dash with some details on gauge does what etc?
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:27 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
I have the Madman EMS2 installed next to the fuel. I didn't want a pod with lots of gauges and this covers oil temp, oil pressure, EGT, coolant temp, and engine hours. Has high and low alarms. http://www.madman.co.za
Madman looks awesome. Doesn't do boost too does it?
Old June 15th, 2014, 11:43 AM
myoverlandrover
josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Madman looks awesome. Doesn't do boost too does it?
It has one pressure sensor so either oil or turbo..overall they are a great system as you set high & low alarms so you can have it be in tune and monitor all of your trucks systems.
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:57 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
It has one pressure sensor so either oil or turbo..overall they are a great system as you set high & low alarms so you can have it be in tune and monitor all of your trucks systems.
The ambulances I used to run had something like this. I do like to be able to watch things spereate of each other but with such limited (IMO, halfway decent) mounting spots this seems like a good option.
Old June 15th, 2014, 05:06 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

The Westach gauges are as good as they get. Designed for aircraft. They are pricey $$.

I initially had Manman system but didn't show well in light as LED and I was fussing too much in terms of scrolling and buttons. It will scroll automatically if desired. They fit well in the OEM slots in the binnacle. They are great as alarm monitors and perfect for situations where you have more "time". Didn't feel it was good for me. Sold the kit to someone on this board.

Westach can virtually do anything you want them to.......and essentially can combine multiple sensors.

They are high quality case with glass front.

The speedometer is nice because it max's out at 85mph......about the safe limit of my truck. The really nice thing on the speedo is the fact you can "calibrate" with a button on the front. So if you change tires/gear ratios......you can adjust and correct. Very nice feature.

The fuel gauge has an "red light" built into it to warn you when low.

I have the oil temp/water temp on one gauge.

I have the EGT and boost pressure on another gauge.

I then have a center console with two gauges. One for oil pressure/transfer case temp. And a final gauge for both batteries.

The lights are "white"........almost a dim white. Which I like as it's "vintage" looking. They come with red and green "sheaths" so you can make them look red or green.

I really chose them because I wanted the "old school" look and didn't want to change the overall feel of the original instruments.

I moved the tach to the center console as I don't often use it. I use a "tiny tach" which is great as it has functions such as "hourmeter" which track engine hour use. And "max" features, etc. Really like it.

I used IronGoat for the center console. If you don't need double DIN I think IMHO this is better than Mud console. It is thicker more robust "plastic" and also has aluminum "liner" as frame. Extremely stiff and robust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8025.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	96850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8027.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	96851  

Name:	IMG_8028.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	96852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8029.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	96853  

Name:	IMG_8030.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	96854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8031.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	96855  

Name:	IMG_8034.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	96856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8033.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	96857  

Attached Images

Old June 15th, 2014, 10:27 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Thanx John, that looks really great, keeping that stock-like look with the new tech function. As I go down the endless road of just-one-more-thing, these are definitely on the radar.
Old June 16th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
EGT screen is not visible here, but I use an Auber instruments bolted close to the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	console.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	96882  
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
The Westach gauges are as good as they get. Designed for aircraft. They are pricey $$.

I moved the tach to the center console as I don't often use it. I use a "tiny tach" which is great as it has functions such as "hourmeter" which track engine hour use. And "max" features, etc. Really like it.

I used IronGoat for the center console. If you don't need double DIN I think IMHO this is better than Mud console. It is thicker more robust "plastic" and also has aluminum "liner" as frame. Extremely stiff and robust.
Looks really good! I might have to borrow some of your ideas when I get to that stage. I have an IronGoat center console on the shelf so that's good to hear you like them. Same with the Tiny Tach as I have been reading people using them on OM617 swaps. Love how it looks lite up!
Old June 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Indecision is the worst decision as the saying goes, so rather than obsess over the best possible gauge setup which would inevitably lead to a Pandorah's box of upgrades (Madman, multi-function engine monitoring etc.) the next thing you know I'd have some special Patek or Brietling gauges that cost more than the entire 300TDi!

So, I went ahead and installed the EGT and boost gauges in what were pre-drilled 2-1/8" holes. Once I started removing the dash ancillaries, there were two pre-drilled holes to the right and left of the square clock. So, logically, I just fitted the gauges theer (at least temporarily) until my life becomes uneventful enough that I have time to install a MUD-UK console.

Standard VDO Vision Black series gauges, though I tossed the cheap 1/8" boost signal tube in favor of real 1/4" nylon used in truck air brakes.

The end reult is satisfactory (at least for the time being) and while I won't win any awards for beauty or creativity compared to some of the slick setups already posted here in this thread, at least I picked a direction. ANY EGT monitoring is better than none and I needed to get this project off the ground ASAP. So here is the end result.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1429.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	96967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1430.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	96968  

Old June 17th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Indecision is the worst decision as the saying goes, so rather than obsess over the best possible gauge setup which would inevitably lead to a Pandorah's box of upgrades (Madman, multi-function engine monitoring etc.) the next thing you know I'd have some special Patek or Brietling gauges that cost more than the entire 300TDi!

So, I went ahead and installed the EGT and boost gauges in what were pre-drilled 2-1/8" holes. Once I started removing the dash ancillaries, there were two pre-drilled holes to the right and left of the square clock. So, logically, I just fitted the gauges theer (at least temporarily) until my life becomes uneventful enough that I have time to install a MUD-UK console.

Standard VDO Vision Black series gauges, though I tossed the cheap 1/8" boost signal tube in favor of real 1/4" nylon used in truck air brakes.

The end reult is satisfactory (at least for the time being) and while I won't win any awards for beauty or creativity compared to some of the slick setups already posted here in this thread, at least I picked a direction. ANY EGT monitoring is better than none and I needed to get this project off the ground ASAP. So here is the end result.....
There is a plate/bezel that is supposed to cover that. I was trying to get Nathanwind to make us some aluminum ones but he blew me off. If you look @ Croytec's site. They will custom make whatever you ask so they would be able to make you one for two gauges and that damn square clock in the center....

http://www.croytec.co.uk/products.htm

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 17th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:

For those who know the Bar - Psi conversion
Old June 17th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
There is a plate/bezel that is supposed to cover that. I was trying to get Nathanwind to make us some aluminum ones but he blew me off. If you look @ Croytec's site. They will custom make whatever you ask so they would be able to make you one for two gauges and that damn square clock in the center....

http://www.croytec.co.uk/products.htm
Yeah, I've seen the alu bezels. something to consider I suppose, but this may be temporary. There is a cluster-F of wires that barely fit in that space to begin with because of the head unit. The few times I've been in there moving stuff around I cringe every time. I'd need to start over again to install a bezel and at that point, I'm just going to hack the dash and install a MUD-UK center unit.

I've made it a policy to solder every connection possible (even if something may be removed in the future) on the Defender because I got so tired of chasing down shitty grounds and poor connections. I surgically and methodically soldered the wires to the spades in the back of the gauges, so that's another reason I'd balk at installing a bezel at this point.

Very anxious to get a true EGT reading (once I get the proper probe installed) as a baseline before the full-length intercooler and fuel settings get tuned.
Old June 17th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I have gauges there. I just made my own bezel. Pretty straightforward.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 17th, 2014, 04:29 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
The boost gauge, beside being fun to look at, is pretty nice to have to determine leaks in the intercooler or other issues related to loss of power. I've put one in every tdi I've ever owned to rule out boost pressure as an issue before I troubleshoot.

I can't tell you how many times I determined I had a leak on my vw tdi (295000 miles) thanks to the boost gauge
I agree but, the additional smoke, the whistle and loss of power was evident each time on my vw tdi (300,800 miles) when i had boost leaks, i do keep meaning to put a boost gauge in, but the stage three tune has been in for 10 years now and no major parts have died, just the upper intercooler hose 2 times.

I like the Boost gauge as i used it in my cummins to help determine what my cruising speed should be so i wasnt boosting at all while maintaing speed. And you can also run into overboosting, so i think it would be a bit ignorant to not run a boost gauge on an all mechanical motor...
Old June 17th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I agree but, the additional smoke, the whistle and loss of power was evident each time on my vw tdi (300,800 miles) when i had boost leaks, i do keep meaning to put a boost gauge in, but the stage three tune has been in for 10 years now and no major parts have died, just the upper intercooler hose 2 times.

I like the Boost gauge as i used it in my cummins to help determine what my cruising speed should be so i wasnt boosting at all while maintaing speed. And you can also run into overboosting, so i think it would be a bit ignorant to not run a boost gauge on an all mechanical motor...
The garrett on a 200 makes 14lbs boost and the one on a 300 makes 16lbs. Hard to overboost even if you disable the wastegate.
Like your vw its immediately obvious you have a leak, although harder to hear.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 18th, 2014, 07:15 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
I've made it a policy to solder every connection possible (even if something may be removed in the future) on the Defender because I got so tired of chasing down shitty grounds and poor connections. I surgically and methodically soldered the wires to the spades in the back of the gauges, so that's another reason I'd balk at installing a bezel at this point.
I would suggest and argue soldering is not a good idea for connections, especially in a diesel. Best connection is crimp/heat shrink. Solder can fatigue fail in the diesel from the vibrations. This will really lead to confusing and shitty grounds as the solder can look ok from the outside.

This may have been covered in other threads.
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
I would suggest and argue soldering is not a good idea for connections, especially in a diesel. Best connection is crimp/heat shrink. Solder can fatigue fail in the diesel from the vibrations. This will really lead to confusing and shitty grounds as the solder can look ok from the outside.

This may have been covered in other threads.
I guess what I mean is the work I've done in the dash with stereo install, but also when wiring new taillights/brake lights etc. I find it difficult to imagine the diesel vibration is going to shake those connections loose.

I'm also not soldering the earth connections to the frame etc. those are mechanically fastened.
Perhaps in the engine bay you're right, but I'm just so done with corroded crimp connectors.
Old November 30th, 2014, 02:42 PM
dogbite
Paul D
95 D90 ST & SW

Registry
https://www.spatechnique.com/product...ils.cfm?id=376

That is what I'm using. Took the clock out of the instrument cluster and inserted this unit. It works pretty good, clean install too.
Old November 30th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Looks great except it's $511! Does it come with a new turbo and exhaust manifold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbite View Post
https://www.spatechnique.com/product...ils.cfm?id=376 That is what I'm using. Took the clock out of the instrument cluster and inserted this unit. It works pretty good, clean install too.
Old December 4th, 2014, 08:59 PM
barjout
Marc Bourget
1996/Tdi DEFENDER 110

McNally's electronic gauges

I don't have a pic with me here but I have installed a McNally boost/EGT and I love it. It came with both sensors. Very satisfy with their product.

http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions