TDI owners.. Show me your Boost and EGT guages - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 4th, 2014, 12:36 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
interesting, looks like this little beauty is just hitting the market... http://www.usa.vdo.com/generator/www...entrobase.html Might eliminate the need for several of the gauges in your truck and consolidate them into one...
In my best Cartman voice: That's pretty sweet

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2014 12:38 PM ------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Correct, a larger intercooler has no noticeable effect @ stock fueling. You definitely need egt before touching fueling. Boost will advise if you have any leaks and if your turbo is making the boost that it's supposed to. John is right the buzzer would be great. On my boat I used alarms on everything so regardless of where you were you immediately knew there was an issue.
Uncle, when you say "stock fueling" you are referring simply to an engine that has not been tuned, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm very happy with my Auber gauges. Although perhaps not as sexy as the VDO's they are much smaller and they come with a built in red light that will turn on when you hit 900. A buzzer can be added as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
For EGT, I believe a digital one with max memory and hooked to an audible alarm is the best way to go. You should not need to be constantly staring at a gauge. If it buzzes back off the throttle. Check for max readings later on. The Auberins ones are a great buy: https://www.auberins.com/
Old June 4th, 2014, 03:05 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
I chose to use the MudUK center panel to house my 8 day mechanical aircraft clock (top left), Carling ARB front/rear locker and compressor switches (upper right), aux fuel tank quantity (center left), horn/wind screen defrost/head lights and fogs (3 position)/aux lights (3 position)/rear fog/rear washer wiper/interior lights Carling Switches (center row), oil pressure, voltage, boost (bottom row). I also have a tach, water temp, and main fuel tank quantity gage in the main binnacle next to the new speedo. I used all VDO Vision gages.
Just curious... Does the mud panel significantly limit air flow through the vents?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2014, 03:14 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i am not sure how to define significantly, but it does impede airflow somewhat.

the air still gets into the cabin behind the fascia, but is obviously diverted elsewhere.
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:38 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Anyone know who makes an APillar pod? As much as they may be "Ricer", with such limited mounting options I think it's a viable one.
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Anyone know who makes an APillar pod? As much as they may be "Ricer", with such limited mounting options I think it's a viable one.
Hmm....how about using the radio section of this for instruments?

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/i...f-console.html

or lookee 'ere

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/i...gauge-pod.html

Someone else made a full length roof console as well....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:15 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Hmm....how about using the radio section of this for instruments? http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/i...f-console.html or lookee 'ere http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/i...gauge-pod.html Someone else made a full length roof console as well....
Yeahhhh the pod is def out. I'd never forgive myself for mounting something atop the dash. The overhead console looks like a cool idea. Install I bet would be a bitch.
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Hmm....how about using the radio section of this for instruments?

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/i...f-console.html

or lookee 'ere

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/i...gauge-pod.html

Someone else made a full length roof console as well....
I used the gray plastic center dash thing that holds the rear wipe wash switches on a NAS 90 station wagon to hold three gauges on my first tdi 110. Nice clean install and looked factory. I used this as a face plate
http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetail...ctCode=PAN-001

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 5th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I dunno, the more I think about this endeavor, the more I want to replace my useless speedometer with one of those all-in-one 3.5" aviation gauges. Aside for logging miles, I see no use for a speedo in a D.
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:08 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I dunno, the more I think about this endeavor, the more I want to replace my useless speedometer with one of those all-in-one 3.5" aviation gauges. Aside for logging miles, I see no use for a speedo in a D.
I mean you need the mileage ticker I think... But the 'all in one' Vdo might be an option once it hits shelves
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I think you need more power then. I can certainly speed in my truck.

The VDO Vision makes the most sense for the regular gauges. Cheap, good looking, accurate and easy to see.

If I were to do a custom main dash the VDO Viewline 3-3/8" speedo and tach sound good. You get most lights built into the speedo, voltmeter, clock, odometer and an hour meter in the tach. Should be able squeeze those in with a 2-1/6" coolant temp and fuel gauge (which include low fuel light). You would only need s a few idiot lights beyond what is included and it would look good.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 5th, 2014, 05:23 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Just curious... Does the mud panel significantly limit air flow through the vents?
It does a little. I've found that you can overcome the reduced airflow by driving faster.

------ Follow up post added June 5th, 2014 03:26 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31232

Some options discussed here

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2014 06:45 AM ------

Slick setup, love the clock... Lots of buttons for people to flip when they hop in
Thanks! Here's a close up of the clock before it went into the truck:

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old June 5th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
I think you need more power then. I can certainly speed in my truck.

The VDO Vision makes the most sense for the regular gauges. Cheap, good looking, accurate and easy to see.

If I were to do a custom main dash the VDO Viewline 3-3/8" speedo and tach sound good. You get most lights built into the speedo, voltmeter, clock, odometer and an hour meter in the tach. Should be able squeeze those in with a 2-1/6" coolant temp and fuel gauge (which include low fuel light). You would only need s a few idiot lights beyond what is included and it would look good.
I'm running a 1.22 transfer case, so yes, I absolutely could conceivably get a ticket without a speedo, but come on! if you don't know approximately how fast you're going in Defender after spending ANY amount of time in one.....I mean going over 40 in a 300TDi sounds and feels like any other car breaking the sound barrier!!!

....but your point is well taken in that it's not really logical or feasible to do away with the speedo, I was just expressing that if there was a "hierarchy of needs" in terms of meaningful gauges in a Defender gauge cluster, a speedometer's importantce does not merit how much room it takes up.

It's difficult. I definitely don't need my D's dash looking like K.I.T.T. but I could really see how a light/alarm for EGTs exceeding a certain threshold would be helpful. That way you're not constantly looking at a 2" gauge when there's plenty of other things to pay attention to when you're driving a RHD truck. Like Doug said...on the boat, you could be distracted by any number of tasks and your eyes could be elsewhere and the alarm will draw your attention to the potential trouble. Same would be true of oil pressure and coolant temp.

It's not like my rig is all original NAS and it needs to stay OEM all the way, but I already feel like I've exceeded my quota for "items of flair" which include nice flip-up Pioneer head unit and iPhone integration. It's a slippery slope, Just Sayin....
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It can be quiet in Defender at speed...

Anyway. I have a light/buzzer for my EGTs and for coolant temperature as well. One of these. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=218

I mounted them in the upper space between the gauges on the main panel. Easy to see and hear.

Another good choice is the Madman system if you want alarms for everything. The EMS2 is easy too fit somewhere: http://www.landyonlineretail.co.za/s...category_id=24

Old June 5th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
It can be quiet in Defender at speed...

Anyway. I have a light/buzzer for my EGTs and for coolant temperature as well. One of these. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=218

I mounted them in the upper space between the gauges on the main panel. Easy to see and hear.

Another good choice is the Madman system if you want alarms for everything. The EMS2 is easy too fit somewhere: http://www.landyonlineretail.co.za/s...category_id=24
THat's exactly what I'll do!
I'll do the VDO gauge and remote-wire the LED.
Old June 15th, 2014, 01:37 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Here's a shot of mine. I line analogue gauges. Especially dual function.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauges.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	96803  
Old June 15th, 2014, 07:10 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I have the Madman EMS2 installed next to the fuel. I didn't want a pod with lots of gauges and this covers oil temp, oil pressure, EGT, coolant temp, and engine hours. Has high and low alarms.

http://www.madman.co.za
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Well, after receiving the VDO gauges and mounting brackets yesterday, I'm leaning more towards the Madman setup as well.
There is virtually nowhere to mount the 2-dial bracket that would look decent or be effective (in line of sight). I even thought of relocating fuel gauge and volt meter to the center of the dash on either side of the clock, but even that seems like a PITA. At least then boost and EGT gauges would be in front of my face.

I need to get this setup ASAP, so I'll probably just run the VDO gauges temporarily as I imagine that it may take a while to get the Madman unit.
Old June 15th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
Here's a shot of mine. I line analogue gauges. Especially dual function.
Thats bad ass John. What color do those illuminate @ night ? Reminds me of my 911's.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 15th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not much info from the manufacturer. http://www.westach.com/products/SING...INCH/index.php

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions