Tdi Loss of Turbo? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tdi Loss of Turbo?

Drove my 110 with Disco 200Tdi this morning and noticed a slight exhaust leak. Then once on the highway I heard a thump and immediately lost the turbo (the boost gauge dropped to zero). I limped it home and found an exhaust slip collar loosened and dropped the exhaust just below the manifold.

I hooked up the exhaust and did a quick check for other damage. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Now when I drive the turbo spools up to about 5psi then drops to zero. Any idea? Should I presume a leak in the turbo tubing somewhere???

If you tell me my turbo is toast you will be flogged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Your turbo is toast

Just kidding, I have no idea if the turbo is bad or not but I would start by checking all of the pipes and hoses
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, just checked all the hoses, everything looks and feels tight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I once had a split in my turbo hose that you couldn't really see when it wasn't under pressure... maybe check to hoses for more than just fit?
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:05 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Split hose or a cracked IC I'd guess.
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
Split hose or a cracked IC I'd guess.
"IC"????

Semper Fi!
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

InterCooler
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ahhhhhh... I C

Semper Fi!
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you can hear the turbo spooling up I would suspect the waste gate is opening too early. If you had a leak I don't think it would build to 5psi and then drop to 0 unless its a cracked hose where the split opens and closes.. When I have had a leak on the boost side I knew instantly and can usually hear it. My brother has a disco 200 turbo complete manifold setup if you decide thats the issue. I doubt your intercooler has cracked. Its easy enough to remove and test and clean out though.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 5th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hmmm... I believe I do hear the turbo spooling. How do I tell the waste gate not to open early??

Oh, I seem to have more smoke under acceleration than normal, does that mean anything?

If for some reason the turbo is bad, I will likely change over to Defender style manifold for eventual LHD conversion.

Semper Fi!
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Hmmm... I believe I do hear the turbo spooling. How do I tell the waste gate not to open early??

Oh, I seem to have more smoke under acceleration than normal, does that mean anything?

If for some reason the turbo is bad, I will likely change over to Defender style manifold for eventual LHD conversion.
It sounds like you have a leak or a bad waste gate if you can hear the turbo spool and make some boost and now have more smoke. have you pulled the hose from the turbo and checked it for shaft wobble/play and to see if its blowing oil past the seal ?
The defender setup is very rare and nearly un obtainable. You would need both intake and exhaust manifolds in order to switch to the defender setup. Those are very expensive if you can find them as thats what series owners need to put a tdi in their trucks. that setup was only made for 3.5 years and there weren't that many made.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
leaterwood
Cleveland T. Leatherwood
95 D90

I worked on my brother in laws F250 Diesel that had a boost problem, and we also thought that the manifold was cracked... but it turned out to be the spring in the waste gate was bad. He also had a lot of black smoke ( unburned fuel ) when he accelerated... which is normal when the engine is running to rich because the air to fuel ratio is way off. Just a thought..
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I don't know about your turbo, but I have some experience with slippage of the downpipe where it attaches to the manifold. If you look at the side of the engine block in front of the down pipe, there should be a threaded hole down near the engine mount. My pipe has a welded bracket with a hole that matches up with the hole in the block. An 8x16mm bolt (with a lock washer) attaches the bracket to the block and stops the pipe from slipping down.
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Okay, here's what I found. I worked the wastegate back and forth to ensure it was not stuck. It operates freely and the return spring works. I did find that when the exhaust dropped it forced hot exhaust into the engine compartment and melted my snorkel tubing, forcing it to collapse. So air to the turbo was reduced.

The turbo now builds and holds pressure, but it's only at 6-7psi. I had be able to get it to 8-9psi prior to this issue. Any idea why the turbo pressure would be reduced all of a sudden?

Semper Fi!
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:52 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Is that 6-7 directly off the intake or off the turbo housing?
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Off the intake. Either way, I have lost at least 2psi somehow.

Semper Fi!
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The reason I asked about the where you were pulling the reading from is that even your high numbers would be really low if it were off the turbo.

I wonder if it would help diagnose where the issue lies if you were to hook the boost gauge to the turbo port. For example the boost pressure from the turbo should be what the turbo is actually making where the pressure reading from the intake would show the pressure at the intake including any loss through the pipes and IC

Another possibility would be to pressurize the system with smoke kind of like they do in houses to check for leaks.

I am new to the turbo diesel stuff so take what I say with a grain of salt
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, I knew the boost reading was low, but I figured it would be a little lower off the intake. I knew my "normal" 8psi was low as well, it's just one of those things I was getting to eventually. But it drove fine and cruises at 70mph no problem.

Very perplexing....

Semper Fi!
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
should make 10 psi @ manifold.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 7th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110 View Post
should make 10 psi @ manifold.
Recommendations? Boost the pressure?

What perplexes me is how an exhaust leak led to a loss of boost pressure.

I am going to try to figure a way to pressure test the turbo system....

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi