Tdi Loss of Turbo? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Pulled all the turbo hoses and checked for rips/tears, and shortened the wastegate linkage by about 1/2", I still peak at 8psi. I have A LOT of thread left on the wastegate linkge, should I keep making it shorter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Okay, replaced all the turbo hoses and couplers. Still no boost higher than 8-9psi at the manifold. I bought a pressure tester as the next step and connected it to the turbo inlet. I've never done this on a diesel, but I assume the motor needs to be at TDC? Or seal off the exhaust. What's the best way to determine TDC on a 200tdi without timing marks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Little pin in the flywheel or the pin into the injector pump - assuming your timing belt is setup correctly, I think that is TDC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Still no boost higher than 8-9psi at the manifold.
I still think you should try connecting the boost gauge to the turbo feed and see what reading you get.

From my understanding you should see around 11 directly off the turbo, at the manifold you will see less pressure.
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
I still think you should try connecting the boost gauge to the turbo feed and see what reading you get.

From my understanding you should see around 11 directly off the turbo, at the manifold you will see less pressure.
I heard it was 14-15 at the turbo and 10-11 at the manifold. Either way I am not too far off, but even adjusting the wastegate is not boosting my pressure.

------ Follow up post added March 26th, 2010 05:43 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Little pin in the flywheel or the pin into the injector pump - assuming your timing belt is setup correctly, I think that is TDC.
I kinda figured that. I swapped my timing belt so it "should" be setup correctly! I'll try that tonight.

Semper Fi!
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

200tdi manual states 12 at the turbo wastegate but most people I have seen post that they are getting 11 off the turbo t.

That is why I was saying to hook it up in the factory spot, you might find that you are within the normal range.
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
200tdi manual states 12 at the turbo wastegate but most people I have seen post that they are getting 11 off the turbo t.

That is why I was saying to hook it up in the factory spot, you might find that you are within the normal range.
Good call, I'll tap into that and check it out. Just seems like everyone, or most, are saying 8-9psi at the manifold is low.

Semper Fi!
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:04 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

Can you find a way to check the waist gate opening pressure? hook up a gauge apply air pressure and watch to see at what pressure the rod starts to move to confirm that it is not opening too early? what about checking to make sure it is closing properly? If the valve somehow got stuck unseated or damaged it will bypass exhaust resulting in less boost.
In the first couple posts you said you would get up to 5psi then it would drop to 0... still happening?
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've shortened the wastegate rod to get it to open later, but that has had no effect on the pressure. I plan on bottoming it out to see if that changes anything. I do have lots of thread left. I can operate the valve by hand and it appears to operate correctly and seat correctly.

Semper Fi!
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:12 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Just thought I would post the spec while I have the PDF open

TURBOCHARGER
Makeltype .................................................. ....................... Garrett T25
Maximum boost pressure ................................................. 0.82 bar (12 P.S.I.C.) measured at wastegate actuator 'T' piece
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:13 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

by hand does not say that it is opening at the correct pressure... the diaphragm acts on a spring the spring could be damaged, if you have shortened the rod that much and still only get 8 psi there is something wrong.... How much smoke out the tail pipe at WOT with the 8psi? None, a lot? is it still under performing compared to b4 the exhaust fell out?
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That's good to know. My 8-9pst at the manifold doesn't seem too bad. I'll still poke around and see if I can determine if I have an issue.

------ Follow up post added March 26th, 2010 09:19 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmod110 View Post
by hand does not say that it is opening at the correct pressure... the diaphragm acts on a spring the spring could be damaged, if you have shortened the rod that much and still only get 8 psi there is something wrong.... How much smoke out the tail pipe at WOT with the 8psi? None, a lot? is it still under performing compared to b4 the exhaust fell out?
I don't smoke at all at WOT. I feel like I have just a slight loss of power, but not much. I can still cruise at 70mph. I have not bottomed out the wastegate rod yet, but I bet I have threaded the yoke on about 1/2".

Semper Fi!
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Have you tried removing the turbo out pipe and wiggling the shaft? there can be a slight bit of movement (no more than 2~3mm really), anything more and your bearings are toast.

What happens is the bearing goes, then the blades on the impellor smash into the casing of the turbo, break off, and you end up with no boost.
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've pulled the inlet and wiggled and spinned the blades. No issue there. I can hear the turbo spool up and as I said, I still get 8-9psi boost.

Semper Fi!
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

How are you driving it to test the boost pressure?

To check maximum boost pressure, drive
vehicle normally, but in such a manner that full
throttle can be maintained whilst climbing a hill
with engine speed held steady between 2,500
and 3,000 rev/min.
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Exactly as you described

Semper Fi!
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

In the stock set up my truck will get 15-16 PSI at the "T" piece I put in the wastegate control line.
I see 14 at the manifold.
Using manifold pressure to control the wastegate I can just make 15 at the manifold, that's it no more without going crazy at the pump.
I am currently using pressure at the manifold to control the wastegate and the pressure at the turbo to control the boost enrichment at the pump.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:56 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

You have a 300tdi, they were set higher from the factory
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I know that! Guess I should have mentioned that....
The main thing to note is the loss of a couple PSI from the T fitting at the turbo as compared to the manifold..
It will all be moot soon as a will install the VVT and I'll have 16 PSI from 1300RPM's to 4000... Bwahahahaha!
I sure hope it makes a difference! My clutch would be so happy....

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well, I swapped the boost gauge to the waste gate line and now can max out at 9.5psi, maybe 10 max. I'm going to fiddle with the wastegate linkage.....

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi