Tdi Intercooler and Radiator Options (Fall 2013) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:40 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Tdi Intercooler and Radiator Options (Fall 2013)

Looking to get some opinions on uprated performance intercooler and radiator options.

So far, I've heard:

Allisport: Good products but they are total flakes to deal with. Someone else told me that they lost their welder guy and the products are now shit. Not sure what to think at this point.

Allard Turbo Sport: Don't know anything about their products or reputation.

Twisted Performance: Person who said Allisport went to shit strongly recommends Twisted's products. On the other hand, old posts from David Buchberger (buckon37s) say that these products are crap and that the intercooler did nothing for his EGT. Then again, Buck wasn't known to be the typical three hundy owner and he sold his truck years ago.

eBay Chinese generics: I know at least one person on the forums who bought a Chinese-made intercooler on eBay and has had good luck with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Allard has been involved in turbo charging since at least the early 1970's if not longer. They have probably outlasted many other companies.

So they have to be doing something right!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:49 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

JFC.....just typed a huge long response only to loose it to "site maintenance'

OE has had some fairly significant issues with Allisports business practices . The product itself is very good.

I cant say enough good things about the products, service and quality that Allard delivers.

Chinese(?) and whatever generics.....your only trying to make a cold air charge. If your time is free and you have the talent to adapt then $$ can be saved and performance can be gained. I have to charge for my talents so the savings on parts are very quickly lost in labor.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2013, 07:29 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Radiator Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Looking to get some opinions on uprated performance intercooler and radiator options...
We have a local shop install a radiator core with more cooling rows that cost about $600 and works real well, but the core has to be copper & brass.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I don't remember who made it, but I put a new radiator from British Pacific two years ago, and it is already leaking.
Old October 28th, 2013, 10:00 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have been dealing with AlliSport now for a while and ship regularly from them. There products and workmanship are second to none.
Old October 28th, 2013, 10:39 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I don't remember who made it, but I put a new radiator from British Pacific two years ago, and it is already leaking.
You might want to check and see if you have electrolysis through your cooling system
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
You might want to check and see if you have electrolysis through your cooling system
I suppose its possible, but I would think unlikely. I did a 4 gallon flush before replacing the radiator, and have had the cooling system drained and filled with fresh fluid at least two to three more times for other cooling system repairs. I'll check tomorrow for shits and giggles.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:12 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
We have a local shop install a radiator core with more cooling rows that cost about $600 and works real well, but the core has to be copper & brass.
School me on the down side of copper and brass for this? It sounds like that is a negative from the post.

I'm curious because I wanted the Allisport and spoke with them on the phone but the radiators were on back order for a very long time and all they could get me right away was an inter cooler.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...=radiator+rows referencing that thread I have thought about getting mine rebuilt but am in the middle of bum fudge fudgery town and nothing good is anywhere close.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:58 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
School me on the down side of copper and brass for this? It sounds like that is a negative from the post.

I'm curious because I wanted the Allisport and spoke with them on the phone but the radiators were on back order for a very long time and all they could get me right away was an inter cooler.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...=radiator+rows referencing that thread I have thought about getting mine rebuilt but am in the middle of bum fudge fudgery town and nothing good is anywhere close.
Copper and brass are superior materials for cooling.
That is superior in my experience when compared to plastic and aluminum.
If I can help and you want to ship yours to VA for recoring, I don't mind helping you by dropping it off and shipping it back in the same box you provide. The packing must be adequate to prevent damage.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:58 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just relieved more intercoolers and other goodies today
Check out this td5 intercooler. A true work of art

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2471461991.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	522.1 KB
ID:	84184

I have another order building now. If anyone is interested in anything please shoot me an email
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:00 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Also have some td5 and puma updated plugin programmers coming in too.
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:53 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post

I suppose its possible, but I would think unlikely. I did a 4 gallon flush before replacing the radiator, and have had the cooling system drained and filled with fresh fluid at least two to three more times for other cooling system repairs. I'll check tomorrow for shits and giggles.
It's not only a chemical reaction so flushing doesn't always fix it. It can be caused by a bad ground and cause current to run through the cooling system of the vehicle.
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
It's not only a chemical reaction so flushing doesn't always fix it. It can be caused by a bad ground and cause current to run through the cooling system of the vehicle.
Well it has Lucas electrics, so there is no chance that there is a bad ground

I haven't bothered to check yet, but when I do my next oil change I'll hook my DVOM to the cooling system.
Old December 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Here is a td5 tuning module. Just in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1934518526.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	85520

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radiator, tdi