Defender Source Forum banner

Tdi Hates Starting From Stop on Hills

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  diesel_jim 
#1 ·
My 200 Tdi hates starting/going from a stop on steep hills. I really have to rev it and give it gas to prevent it from stalling out. Otherwise the motor runs great and has good boost. Any ideas?

#2 ·
perhaps your lift pump has a leaky diaphragm, and on hills, it is working against gravity to deliver and maintain pressure to your injection pump. That or your clutch is slipping. Those are the only theories I can come up with.

The great thing about diesels is they are much easier to diagnose.

#8 ·
My 200 Tdi hates starting/going from a stop on steep hills. I really have to rev it and give it gas to prevent it from stalling out. Otherwise the motor runs great and has good boost. Any ideas?
its fuel not gas... sounds like 1) your gearing may be too tall or 2) your ip needs a tune

My truck is the same if I have a car trailer and 110 behind it because I switched to a 1.2 tcase out of necessity (Ron didn't have a 1.4 laying about when mine blew on Mass Pike).

#11 · (Edited)
I'll check the tage tonight, but it's stock Disco 200tdi drivetrain. Tires are 255/85s

That'll be it then.... factory 200Tdi disco's (in fact, all disco's...200/300/V8 up to D2) were 1.2:1

I have the same ratio transferbox in my 110 (chipped Td5), with 235/85's it pulls away ok... nothing more though, just ok. if it's uphill i have to give it some revs.

If i stick my 255/85's on, then usually on a steep start i'll slip it into low-box.

Think about it.... standard 200Tdi disco's had 205/16's, so fitting 255/85's you've jumped 2 standard tyres size (205 to 235 to 255)

Once up and moving though, on either set of tyres, it's great. much better than a 1.4:1 (although mine kicks out 190bhp), with 255's you may want to drop back to a 1:4 box for a more factory feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.