Tdi getting warm - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Tdi getting warm

On the way up to Tahoe today the water temp started to creep...about half way to red from the middle on a stock LR gauge. This is not the first time this has happened on a steep, long grade on hot day. EGT's max at 1100. I have three questions:

1. What sender do you all use for the VDO water temp guage (part # if you got it).

2. Could a dirty injector cause this? Last time I pulled my glow plugs one was wet...and every once in a while I get an odd puff of black smoke... nothing serious but a small puff.

3. What else should I look at? I was going to clean the inter-cooler anyway but I doubt that is it. Coolant is new. Oil is new. Rad looks good but I have not had it flow tested.... there is one thing, The engine is mounted 2in back in the bay due to the previous 2.5NA engine mounts. So the fan does not sit in the shroud but slightly out of it... do you think it could be not pulling enough air? but it is happening at ~50mph. Could be the viscous unit... I was under the impression that at speed a fan would not be needed if everything was running correctly.

Thanks for your help guys... a hot tdi is an unhappy tdi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:58 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

I wouldn't trust that stock guage. The thing thats odd is that your EGT's are great. No issue if they only hit 1100. That takes the suspicion off the injectors. I would be very surprised if something was wrong. A tdi will usually stay between 195 to 205 once warm. A little creaping is fine. I would replace the guage and the sender and then check again. If it is still hot, the most likely culprit is the radiator.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

running 50 up a long hill in the mountains at an altitude of 6k-8k feet... hmmm, your radiator is too small for starters. You'd probably freak if you knew your true temps, instead of the false LR gauge reading you are getting now. Your truck is probably hitting the 230? mark. replace the gauge with a VDO with numbers. Just the sender isn't going to do it.

I have been dealing with the same issue for a year now. Great EGTs even less than yours, but temps in the 220?-240? range while driving up long mountain passes. In the process of having a dimpled 5 core radiator made.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Buck- Thats what I was thinking, first things first that guage has to go.

Sheki- How much is that rad going to cost you?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Contact Pendy, he's having it built.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi