Tdi Gangsta Lean? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 4th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tdi Gangsta Lean?

Out of curiousity, my Disco 200Tdi tilts back about 5-7 degrees. Is this normal? The reason I ask is that I constantly drag my e-brake drum on obstacles and raising the rear end of the drive train up to level it out could raise my e-brake drum about 2".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

If you search pirate under "cut time" you can see where I lifted mine and cut out the frame and replaced it with square tube. Just be aware of fan shroud clearance in the front and drive shaft angles in the back. I couldn't raise mine more than an inch before it hit the floor though. So I took off the drum and changed my mounts to gain almost 4in of ground clearance under the drum and 2in of ground clearance under the frame.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks, I've been considering doing the same thing with my crossmember as well - it's taking a beating. I was really just wondering is there was a "technical" reason why the motor leaned back.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Jonathan your drivetrain is mounted using lots of non-rover parts and is probably in the wrong position altogether. It might be worth your while to get a proper defender lt77 gearbox and start over, using the proper floors and other bits. Rather than adding on more made-up stuff to the made-up stuff that is already there.

to do that you would be looking at: fan shroud, rad hoses, exhaust, welding new mounts on the frame for the engine, gearbox mounts that bolt to the chassis, and all the floor pieces.

I suppose you could start by getting the chassis side gearbox mounts off an LT77 4 cylinder disco.

hope that helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Out of curiousity, my Disco 200Tdi tilts back about 5-7 degrees. Is this normal? The reason I ask is that I constantly drag my e-brake drum on obstacles and raising the rear end of the drive train up to level it out could raise my e-brake drum about 2".
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hmm.. Spend $0 to raise my drivetrain, or well over $1k to swap gearboxes and floors? Plus the time to pull the drivetrain? You and your crazy talk. Everything works just fine, so why change it?

Semper Fi!
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Jonathan your drivetrain is mounted using lots of non-rover parts and is probably in the wrong position altogether. It might be worth your while to get a proper defender lt77 gearbox and start over, using the proper floors and other bits. Rather than adding on more made-up stuff to the made-up stuff that is already there.

to do that you would be looking at: fan shroud, rad hoses, exhaust, welding new mounts on the frame for the engine, gearbox mounts that bolt to the chassis, and all the floor pieces.

I suppose you could start by getting the chassis side gearbox mounts off an LT77 4 cylinder disco.

hope that helps...
What past experiences do you have that make you think "Rover" is somehow better than, well, anything else? The more knowledgeable I get on vehicle design, the more evident it is just how batshit crazy the designers of this rig were.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Rover stuff is very well designed in its purest form (a 1959 SII), by the time the NAS Defenders came out they bastardized that design, adding crap etc. and it became more cobbled in nature.
Old June 4th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Well, I knew I was going to get flamed for those comments. What I really meant to say is that when I look at something that is cobbled together and causing issues due to its cobbled-ness, it can be nice to start over with everything they way it was intended to be set up. No matter the faults of the original design, there is something to be said for a vehicle that is set up using as many factory parts as possible, for ease of maintenance and replacement over time.

Dave, you know I like your rig and have a great deal of respect for the knowledge that you have gained from building and re-building it. And I do recognize that alot of the mods you have would be useful even in less built up vehicles. With all that said, i can certainly tell you that the factory setup is far better than what the *builder* of Jonathan's truck installed.

Sorry JG, not trying to bust on your rig. Even if you kept the Disco box I think you could do a better job than whoever installed that drivetrain.

I think it is instructional to see how the factory did things, that way you can be sure your mods are an improvement and not just going the long way around to achieve the same thing as the off-the shelf part.

I have alot of experience building my own stuff and working on stuff that others have modified as well. Not quite the same as the experience you have had, but certainly applicable. I've been around LR's a long time and I've seen common and uncommon failures on the road and on the trail. I never said that I thought that Rover was any kind of be all end all. In fact I've spent all of my 15 years of Rover ownership trying to make them better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
What past experiences do you have that make you think "Rover" is somehow better than, well, anything else? The more knowledgeable I get on vehicle design, the more evident it is just how batshit crazy the designers of this rig were.
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

cruzin

cruzin lean with the gangsta sheen

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi