Tdi fuel system question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 5th, 2015, 07:12 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Tdi fuel system question

The factory 200Tdi fuel system is plumbed

Tank pickup -> sedimenter (water separator) -> lift pump -> filter -> injection pump -> return

If I plumb it so that it runs:

Tank pickup -> Racor 120A -> lift pump -> injection pump -> return

Would you forsee any problems? Chances of the lift pump falling apart and damaging the injection pump?

(The Racor is a combination filter/water separator that works best on the vacuum side of a system, can also be used on pressure side but only up to 7psi... what does the lift pump put out?)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2015, 07:56 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
I've been running a Stanadyne setup I got from http://thedieselstore.com/. Lots of options and bolts to the stock location. 10mm hose fitting off the lift pump to eliminate a compression fitting and 3/8 Gates fuel hose. I'd keep a filter before the IP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15999612369_7db96cfbbc_k.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	110235  
Old January 5th, 2015, 08:27 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Adam:
I would not plumb it:
Tank pickup -> Racor 120A -> lift pump -> injection pump -> return

With the filter on the suction side, it creates a restriction, especially when the filter has particulate trapped and becomes restricted, that will put extra stress on the lift pump and may cause premature unnecessary failure.
Also after a filter change, the pump will have to work extra hard to suck all the air out of the system which is easier to push than pull.

Think you would be better off running longer length lines or re-positioning the filter location, in order to mount the filter after the lift pump.

Hope this is helpful.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2015, 10:23 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Thanks Robert, it would not be difficult to plumb it for the filter to be in between the lift pump and inj pump. Do you know what pressure the lift pump puts out?

Also, considering the Racor 120 is a water separator, I could eliminate the pre-lift pump sedimenter yes?

I know that the water sep will not work as well after the pump because the water becomes emulsified in the fuel, but not sure if this is a real problem or a theoretical problem.

------ Follow up post added January 5th, 2015 10:24 PM ------

That stanadyne setup looks nice but wow its really big!

------ Follow up post added January 5th, 2015 10:27 PM ------

Andy do you have the part number for the fitting you used for the return line? (to convert the olive/compression fitting to regular fuel hose instead of the nylon)
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:58 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Adam:
When ever I buy a filter, the main considerations are:
1. the cost of replacement filter elements
2. the amount of trouble it takes to replace the filter element

The genuine or genuine style sedimenter is non-restrictive and does an excellent job to trap water and particulate and can be mounted on the suction side of the lift pump (a big plus).
The other big plus is that it does not have a filter element, just a drain, and can be disassembled for cleaning, so it costs nothing to use.

Am no expert on the Racor or Stanadyne setups, so can't offer any help there, but have been successful with the combination of the OEM fuel filter with a sedimenter.
Lots of people use the Racor or Stanadyne setups successfully (like Andy up in Boston).

I do know that most filter water trap combos are usually a fuel filter with a cavity at the bottom to hold trapped water. Too much water and the media gets wet and swells blocking fuel flow.
For this reason I have always used a separate sedimenter before the lift pump and a fuel filter afterwards.
Add a 12V diesel pump after the sedimenter and your fuel system becomes self priming and self bleeding.

Again, hope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old January 5th, 2015, 11:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I have the stanadyne fm-100 as well. Fits perfectly in the stock location with no mods. 2 micron filters. Used in many oem installation. Toolless filter change. Can add heaters and bowls and many other options of desired.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:20 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Thanks Robert - does anyone know of a part number or have a link to an OEM-style sedimenter? Most that I have come across have the filter incorporated.

Also, if anyone has the spec for output PSI for the Tdi lift pump that would be great.

Thanks all
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:54 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

You can pick up sedimenters anywhere.
I build custom ones as well that you can find by searching sedimenter under for sale parts.

Good Luck Adam.

Old January 6th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Also, if anyone has the spec for output PSI for the Tdi lift pump that would be great.
From the workshop manual....
Quote:
Fuel lift pump pressure .................................................. ... 42 - 55 kpa at 1800 rpm

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:49 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Roughly 6 to 8 PSI according to John,s good research.

Old January 6th, 2015, 04:59 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

That is good data thanks John. Based on that spec I will be able to plumb the Racor in between the lift pump and inj pump without issues, aside from reduced water removal efficiency.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, tdi