TDI fuel injection part ID please - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 25th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
as usual, I was speed reading and apparently missed the part about it being a 200, NOT a 300. Sorry about that, but the principle is the same. Just more shit to remove.

Robert-when you say "turn your boost up to match your fueling" I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that you really don't "adjust" your boost, only the purging of it (if needed) via the waste gate. You can't "turn up" your boost, rather increased combustion creates more flow, which in turn drives boost.....correct?

EDIT: get the entire kit from RN for $150 or so. It's worth having it. It's a comprehensive kit with flywheel puller, two types of flywheel locking pins, the IP locking pin and other stuff you'll need.
Also, didn't mean to snub Trevor at all by suggesting going to RN, I love to give Trevor the biz, but RN has these tool kits in stock I believe and they have always been lighting fast at shipping to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2014, 04:27 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

OK so I can't seem to find a reasonable (not $90) locking pin etc here in the States. Not sure if it can be sent from UK in time. Anyone have one lying around they can drop in the mail on loan to me? it will be returned promptly and with some sort of gift of appreciation.
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
OK so I can't seem to find a reasonable (not $90) locking pin etc here in the States. Not sure if it can be sent from UK in time. Anyone have one lying around they can drop in the mail on loan to me? it will be returned promptly and with some sort of gift of appreciation.
9mm drill bit. BOOM! I don't have a pin

------ Follow up post added July 25th, 2014 04:41 PM ------

M&D told me to use a 9.5mm actually. I have both.

http://www.carolynrelei.com/inchchart.htm

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2014, 05:03 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

I can do a 9mm & 9.5mm drill bit
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
9mm drill bit. BOOM! I don't have a pin

------ Follow up post added July 25th, 2014 04:41 PM ------

M&D told me to use a 9.5mm actually. I have both.

http://www.carolynrelei.com/inchchart.htm

FWIW, I was curious and put a digital caliper on the pin that came in the kit and it was 9.0, maybe a RCH over that, but definitely not 9.5.
Maybe different flange and gear (slightly) on the 2.8? TGV, who knows.

It's not the IP locking pin that is tough to replicate, it's the flywheel locking pin that's tough to replicate.
Then if the dampner bottom pulley happens to be frozen from corrosion, it's just worth the time savings to buy the kit IMO.
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:32 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Ok so the moment everyone has been waiting for...i got my timing cover off and....it looks normal to me. I found a sweet step by step pdf of what to do with pics (will post later). Created my own damper puller using the model from the article. Belt looks ok but is being changed along w tensioner and front cover oil seal and gaskets.

So now the questions and pics. It seems like the crank and cam timing are spot on....yay. The FIP seems a smidge off as the timing pin doesnt slide in easily. A 9mm drill bit goes in better. So with the symptoms of EGTs shooting up under load after new double core IC from Alisport was installed and lots of black smoke when it's floored I have read and been told to check/do the following:
1. Set timing
2. Check boost to ensure it's adequate .8-1 bar (13-15psi) right?
3. Fueling. I am pretty sure someone played with the "fun button" max fuel screw and I have set the diaphragm to the max setting but it didnt seem to matter what position this was in, same symptoms.

Any other advice?
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
Ok so the moment everyone has been waiting for...i got my timing cover off and....it looks normal to me. I found a sweet step by step pdf of what to do with pics (will post later). Created my own damper puller using the model from the article. Belt looks ok but is being changed along w tensioner and front cover oil seal and gaskets.

So now the questions and pics. It seems like the crank and cam timing are spot on....yay. The FIP seems a smidge off as the timing pin doesnt slide in easily. A 9mm drill bit goes in better. So with the symptoms of EGTs shooting up under load after new double core IC from Alisport was installed and lots of black smoke when it's floored I have read and been told to check/do the following:
1. Set timing
2. Check boost to ensure it's adequate .8-1 bar (13-15psi) right?
3. Fueling. I am pretty sure someone played with the "fun button" max fuel screw and I have set the diaphragm to the max setting but it didnt seem to matter what position this was in, same symptoms.

Any other advice?
Chris, that's great to hear that things looked on good order in the, but if it makes you feel as though it was a wasted venture, consider that you can't put a price tag on peace of mind.
It does seem strange that your diaphragm is turned all the way up and changing the position (counterclockwise) made no difference.
Lots of black smoke when you stick your Welly into it, eh? How is your standing idle? Mine climbed quickly when I turned the Max Fuel screw in only 1/2 turn, so if your idle is normal, maybe start looking at the spring and the star wheel.
Maybe it's a matter of putting everything back to baseline (anyone know the Bosch specs for all the screws etc.?)
I forget, did you discuss where your boost signal and wastegate signal is reading from?
My experience with my 300 (I know you're a 200) is that there is a considerable difference between the boost reading at the opening of the turbo and the reading at the manifold (after the IC). It takes a lot of boost to fill that volume and there are more bends and curves for the air to stall (I think). So, in my situation, things improved greatly when I relocated the boost signal that triggers the diaphragm to the manifold, so now the boost gauge, waste gate and boost signal all run off the same place, same pressure.
What if currently your turbo is producing 0.7 BAR at the turbo and telling the diaphragm to move accordingly and there is really only 0.25 BAR at the manifold? I'm new to this, but it would seem that that delta would create a situation that allowed over fueling too early and throughout the boost range regardless of what you do to time the IP.

Caveat is that I'm not a TDi expert and I may have literally five more hours experience (any more at all) than you, so let the diesel Gods here on DefenderSource lay the smack down on me if necessary, I'm simply reporting what I found in my situation (which I believe to be sort of resolved)
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:40 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Thanks! I dont have a boost gauge (ordered today will install fri same as new belt and test drive mon). Forgot to add the pics.

I believe that my max fuel screw is the culprit. I have a new slightly larger turbo that was set to 15psi boost i think but will double check.

I know it isn't a waste of time as i am learning a ton, in a safe environment, not in the middle of nowhere etc. And now the belt will be done.

Old August 4th, 2014, 07:28 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

So updates: pretty much what you expect. Some PO stripped the 2 bolts for the timing cover and helicoiled them so thats been awesome. I can't seem to lock the crank damper enough to torque up the big ole bolt but i got it to 125ft/lbs. water pump is on but that's it. I worked this weekend and the wife and kids were up puking all night so its been awesome. Happy Birthday to me! Gonna finish putting everything on tonight when they go to bed and fire her up in the morning.
Thanks everyone for the help! I'll let you know if there is a big boom tomorrow.
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:15 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

OK fired her up this morning and nothing imploded,exploded, or otherwise went boom. Runs well, turned the max fuel screw ccw 1/2 turn as EGTs were running about 1150-1200 on my test hill. Also turned the diaphragm back an hour from max position. For now she is running fine. Needs some fine tuning but as my trip is tomorrow no time this time.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR PATIENCE WITH ME ON THIS!!

Yes I meant to "yell" that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, part, tdi